Senate Just took a Hatchet to Liberty

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Ganado, May 29, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wyden Opposes 2017 Intelligence Authorization Act that Expands Government Surveillance and Undermines Independent Oversight Board
    Bill Allows FBI to Demand Email Records With No Court Oversight by Simply Sending a National Security Letter; Narrows Scope of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016
    Washington, D.C. –Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., today voted against the 2017 Intelligence Authorization Act in the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. The bill includes provisions to expand warrantless government surveillance and takes aim at a valuable independent oversight board.

“This bill takes a hatchet to important protections for Americans’ liberty,” Wyden said following the vote. “This bill would mean more government surveillance of Americans, less due process and less independent oversight of U.S. intelligence agencies. Worse, neither the intelligence agencies, nor the bill’s sponsors have shown any evidence that these changes would do anything to make Americans more secure. I plan to work with colleagues in both chambers to reverse these dangerous provisions.”

Wyden opposes multiple provisions to the bill, including;

-Allowing the FBI to obtain Americans’ email records with only a National Security Letter. Currently, the FBI can obtain email records in national security investigations with an order from the FISA Court. The bill would allow any FBI field office to demand email records without a court order, a major expansion of federal surveillance powers. The FBI can currently obtain phone records with a National Security Letter, but not email records.

-Narrowing the jurisdiction of the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board (PCLOB), for the second consecutive year. The bill would limit the PCLOB to examining only programs that impact the privacy rights of U.S. citizens. Wyden has supported the PCLOB’s focus on the rights of US persons. Wyden opposed this provision, however, since global telecommunications networks can make it difficult to determine who is an American citizen, and this provision could discourage oversight of programs when the impact on Americans’ rights is unclear. Furthermore, continually restricting a small, independent oversight board sends the message that the board shouldn’t do its job too well.

The bill does include one proposal from Wyden, which would allow the PCLOB to hire staff even when the board’s Chair is vacant. Currently the PCLOB is prohibited from hiring staff unless a Senate-confirmed Chair is in place. This proposal is also included in separate bipartisan legislation introduced by Wyden and Representative Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii. PCLOB Chairman David Medine is scheduled to step down on July 1.

2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

An Oregon Demoncrat voting in the right manner.. He needs to watch out or he will be kicked off the lib party boat..

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Oregonians need to get rid of Wyden because he doesn't live here anymore - he lives in New York with his New York wife. He mostly comes back to Oregon for photo ops and when he's up for re-election. We shouldn't have to give up a Senator so New York can have three.

In this case, though, Wyden is on the right side opposing the bill.

Caveman Jim, Dont, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

OMG! did you not read this part? Who gives a rats tail about what party he is in. You might want to reconsider being a rabid dog about liberal vs conservative and look at the info. The info is we still have a chance to stop this if you are willing to write your congressmen and senators.

this bill allows 'the FBI to obtain Americans’ email records with only a National Security Letter.' no judge is required to review this. They just get to use a letter!

[kneelsuckers] if you cant see the forest for the trees, the political system owns your ass..... HINT: who gives the info are the trees, the forest is the information

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  5. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I realize we need security, make one wonder how these laws even got considered in the first place, that is rhetorical I know why they do it, just not sure why we put up with it. Maybe Wyden is seeing the way society is moving and is worried about his seat? Either way hopfully this wont pass thru.

6. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sorry for thread crapping - haven't had enough coffee yet this AM. I asked a mode to clean up the off topic material and place in a new thread so we can keep this one on topic. My apologies...

And, yes, I did see that, and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Ganado, Caveman Jim and Taku like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

BINGO!!!!! That is how I feel. And that is what I feel is one of the largest issues in our society. People are not people, they are political parties. It sucks. I am so tired of people not looking at me for my kindness, caring. I have had people treat me differently because of my political stance. Very few people now a days can just accept people as people. This is how bad it is.

My youngest worked for a lady last year. He did some yard work. He worked hard, was punctual etc... She had called to invite me to her Democratic political gathering. I politely declined, I said nothing other then that is not the party I support. I ran into her and she informed me that she will not be needing my son this summer, she hired someone else. My kids have been working for her for years. I find it interesting that the kid she hired has extreme Democratic parents. I cannot believe she did that. She put politics ahead of the kid. Shame on her and shame on society because this is what we have sunk to.

Now I will wander back up to look at the original post and see if we can talk about the original topic.

8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Should have told her you were too busy organizing a "Say Hey Che" rally. She would have adopted your child....

Altoidfishfins and Legion489 like this.
  9. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

My son is a Democrat very pro-2nd Gun owner most of his view tend to be not as Christian friendly, but as far as rights and that side he is Conservative.
    Until 2013 I was a non-partisan since I was 18 I am 53. I registered Republican because I always missed out on party votes. There are some good Libertarians and Democrats but for me near 90% of the time I vote Republican. Most my Dem votes are when I was pretty much forced to 25 years ago when I lived in California and there was not much choice even then.
    I am first and foremost for any one that is 100% for freedom and liberty period. Wyden really has a track record compared to Dianne Feinstein or Barbra Boxer and in my opinion belongs more in California then Oregon. I am suspicious this is a cover for some other rights violations he will be working on, I may be wrong but for now doesn't pass the smell test for this Monkey.

Legion489 and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

A bit more information on this... The Bill is called: H.R. 5077. It has already passed the House (May 24, 2016) and the Senate Intelligence Committee did indeed approved it last Tuesday (even without Wyden's vote) and it goes now to the full Senate.

I think we can count on Rand Paul to voice opposition but not sure who else... Phone records are one thing but being able to sequester your private correspondence...? I'm stunned! I'm stunned that they would even consider it! And, it barely got a burp in the media.

Land of the Free? This is really, REALLY serious...

Ganado, Caveman Jim and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I wish we could clone him. Rand is my man. It drives me insane how many people have no issue with their privacy going bye-bye. They always respond that they have nothing to hide so what is the issue. People do not consider that with every inch they give, the ramifications are huge. The govt does not stay in the boundaries. They seem to push their abuse to the extreme.

Ganado and Caveman Jim like this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I can see every person in America receiving such a letter in a mass mailing.
    This is not good at all.

13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

First time someone with half a brain cell is able to prove .gov did this, needs to lawyer up and have it ruled as blatantly unconstitutional. I'm tired, but I clearly recall the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Americans , Either Blue OR Red , & Can't Read .

Really ? 'the FBI to obtain Americans’ email records with only a National Security Letter.' no judge !!!
    Your FREDOM is all BS & your NOT free , but controlled , WAY more than Kanada .. .
    [​IMG]

Problem is Tech is that stupid cops think they are following the LAW & will shite kick in your house for a hard drive & find out you had 3 e-mails to the grocery store , BUT the wife is upset with what did you & Carol talk about ??

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Salted Weapon and Ganado like this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Just another nail in the constitutional coffin.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Crusin Sloth you are right in one sense, out 'opinions' are carefully managed media events wheither you are watching CNN or FOX news. Its a problem. Note in this case there was no media info on this.

I still think somethings are worth fighting for, and for now we fight with paper and phones, I hope it never comes to more than that but if it does I will still be fighting. After all, isnt this why we prep? In case it comes to the ultimate fight?

17. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

ruled by who? judges appointed by Mr. "I had to abandon free market principles to save the free market system" and other commies? Good luck with that.
    Too late to work within the system. Few years ago I might have believed "the system" was coalescing accidentally and everybody was just doing their job but now? This is enemy action dude. There are masterminds making this stuff happen. The tools are theirs, there ain't no fixin it. Best "lawyering up" can accomplish is to funnel all your money, time and data to somebody who can profit from it.

18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Senate Falls 1 Vote Short of Giving FBI Access to Browser Histories Without Court Order

"Privacy-minded senators on Wednesday blocked an amendment that would give the FBI power to take internet records, including browser histories and email metadata, without a court order. But the victory may be fleeting.

Just one vote kept the measure from clearing a 60-vote procedural hurdle, and political arm-twisting may soon result in a second vote. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., switched his vote to "no" to allow reconsideration in the near future. That made the final tally 58-38, with four senators not voting.

Critics of the propsed expasion of the FBI's ability to demand records with national security letters, or NSLs, are urging opponents to flood their senators with calls. There were some unexpected "yes" votes, such as Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, who they hope to flip as some of the four senators who did not vote are viewed as tougher sells.
    "

We best get to making more calls, letters and emails to these critters.

Note how self-proclaimed friend of liberty Ted Cruz showed his true stripes yet again.

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Whew that was close

Salted Weapon likes this.
  20. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

An indication of just how close we are to losing our freedom is that cruz was one of the three finalist in the GOP primaries even with all that was known about him.

Yard Dart, Salted Weapon and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7