Serious Question

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Sojourner, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

How does one go about dressing a raccoon? I seem to have been adopted by a mom and four young that come for dinner with my cats.. SIL already has visions of five 'coons on spits over a fire. lol.

2. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Skin it like you would any other animal. Then gut it like you would any other animal. If you have ever dressed any type of animal it will be no problem. They are suckers for cat food, and if you have a box trap you can catch them with out making any noise. If noise isn't a problem then fire away.

IMHO It's best to bake them and not fry them because they are greasey to start with. They will have some extra fat on them this time of the year as well. Very tasty though. [winkthumb]

OGM

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

tshirt and jeans?[LMAO]

Rule of thumb:remove anything you don't expect to eat?[axe]

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Haven't done it myself, but my wife did a long time ago. She said (if she remembers correctly from 20+ years ago) there are glands on the back legs and under the front legs that should be removed or they will taint the flavor of the meat.

Other than that, do it like you would any other small game.

I've had it barbecued that was very tasty. My buddy that did it said he parboiled it first.

5. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Damn you beat me to it [beer][LMAO]

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

In case you have never dresed out anything before heres the quick and basics of it.

If saveing the skin to tan you can 'case skin' it or skin for a flat pelt.

Case skinning;
    Slit from the ankle joint of one back leg to same point on the other back leg then skin the tail if its to be kept if not peel skin back to tail then cut off tail and continue to work skin of by forceing fingers between meat and skin all the way to front legs, pull legs out of skin to ankles then cut feet of at ankle. Work skin loose up to and over head cutting loose at ears and eyes. Once skin is off cut off head, slit from ainus to throat and remove entrials. Wash and sut up as desired or simply cook as desired and serve.

Skinning for flat pelt (I consider easier if saveing skin);

Slit from back ankle to back ankle through skin (try to cut from inside out) then same from front ankle to front ankle and from ainus to chin. Cut off head and puch fingers between meat and skin to remove skin. Cut of feet and remove entrails as above.

If not concerned with the skin heres your easiest way to skin small game.

Shirt & pants meathod;

Slit the skin all the way around the body of the animal and work loose enouph to get ahold of then pull in opposite directions like removeing shirt and pants. When you get to the legs pull them out of the skin to the ankle joint and cut through joint, same at tail and head. Remove entrails as above.

I havent ever skinned a coon specificly but it would be the same as any other critter, get it out of the skin, remove feet, tail, head, entrails and any portions you find undesirable to eat then cut up and/or cook as prefered/needed. Most of the time any glands and such come off with the skin other than in some cases the mamory/milk glands on female critters from my experience but if they dont they shold be obviously not the same as any other meat/tissue and can be peeled/cut off.

7. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

Thanks, Monkeyman. It's been 40 years since I've seen it done, and had forgotten how it was done. Thanks again.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No problem, always glad when can be helpful.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7