Sewing (It's Not Gender Specific)

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Brokor, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I used to make furniture for hawks and falcons out of leather with a two needle system. I would mark out the leather for the hood (glove, jesse's, etc) then start the seam with one needle run through the leather as I sewed I would bring the second needle through the hole made by the first and "zig-zag" the stitches until the end and not it. it provides a more durable seam and is twice as strong as a normal seam. I also made a few holsters in the parachute shop when I was in the AF learned how to limit stress with a bartack (SP) stich (box with a "X" inside)....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    chelloveck, Tikka and Ganado like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have several projects in the works.
    It's nice to have the liberty to build what ever I want ,especially if what I want is not available . I like to make stuff that is multi functional.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Much depends on how much beer I have been imbibing. Too much, and my crafting tends to become, like myself, multi-dysfunctional. :eek:

Ganado likes this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I just finished modifying a fleece cap I received from an online purchase. It says "one size fits all", but it really should be labelled "One size. For really huge melons." :ROFLMAO:

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I found fabric /leather that matches my motorcycle jacket ,(real leather )
    What I hope to do next is a hood that works with it.
    Another project is making a pair of mittens from that same material, that will fit over my gloves for severe cold weather.

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I do a lot of sewing my self all hand stitching I make a lot of my own gear to fit my needs so it come in handy.

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

My mother made sure us boys knew how to sew, cook, and do laundry. She said "What if you don't have a woman around to do it?"
    When my wife and I were first married she bought a sewing machine but had never learned how to sew. I sat down and started showing her how to do it. She was amazed and still talks about how surprised she was that I could do that. It really doesn't fit my persona, a 6'3" 280# biker, bouncer, roughneck. And damn fine seamstress too!!

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

That's funny when I taught use of force I had a exercise where you told two truths and a lie I would say I like to sew I hate foot ball and I am a marine guess what one they thought the lie was.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Your Mother and Mine, apparently were taught from the same Principals, Sea.... That is exactly what My mother said when teaching her Sons, the Manly Art of Fending for Themselves.... In My family, this goes back Generations... both my Uncles on Mom's side, were also instructed just so.... as were ALL my Cousins.... My Son, was also raised with this education, as are his Sons....

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Keep your buttons from falling off by adding a coat of clear nail polish, to keep the thread from unraveling and to keep your buttons in place for much longer. It will also save you the trouble of having to sew them back on.

Over time, I noticed that my pins and needles start to lose their sharpness due to the pin-cushion used. But, I discovered a sewing hack that served as both a pin cushion and a pin-sharpening tool. Simply sew a pin cushion together and stuff it with torn up steel wool pads.

Fabric weights can be especially useful (they tend to make cutting long pieces of fabric incredibly easy) but they are also pretty expensive to buy. For just $0.60 you can make your own, using washers. Purchase two types of flat washers - 3/4" and 1/2" - or the largest and heaviest you can find. Using hot glue, glue the two washers (of the same size) together (flat sides touching). Finish off the look by wrapping the washers with any left over material you may have. [​IMG]
    10 Essential Sewing Tips You Cannot Do Without

11. chelloveck

Nice hints and tips, Ganado

A tip I have learned as a school kid.

Don't sew school shirt buttons too securely. Replacing buttons is easier than repairing a ripped shirt, which buttons are still intact. learned that lesson the hard way.

I have discovered the wonders of fabric glue....fabric glue can solve a multitude of problems that stitching may not.

arleigh and Ganado like this.
  12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Slingshot hunting bag I made all hand sewn. KIMG0533.

Motomom34, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck likes this.
  14. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

Tonight I sewed an underquilt for my son's hammock. Lessons I learned:

1. sewing multiple layers that are differentially cut is not nearly as easy as the people on hammockforums would have you believe.
    2. even if you tape off the front of a general purpose presser foot, climashield insulation will still catch on it and try to wad up
    3. I need to get rid of the 40 year old carbon resistor crap foot pedals on my machines and install new electronic versions. I should probably also pull the motor out of the 328k and give it some love.
    4. Using blue painters tape on top of the insulation will help resolve #2, but makes it more difficult to keep things lined up. It's also difficult to get all the climashield loose from it...and not nearly as easy to tear off as I though it would be.

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Keep a magnet close to your machine and let it catch you pins as you pull them ,also handy for picking them up if the whole box falls on the floor.

My newest acquisition . Works like a charm and there are part still available for it ,not that it needs any.
    Boy is it heavy. DSCN4207.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  16. chelloveck

Too valuable to use as a boat anchor....but it could easily do the job ;)

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was just thinking that

18. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Ya it seems to be a very popular machine I feel really fortunate.

I made this for traveling on the motorcycle.
    strictly a one man tent , self supporting, double walls, reversible (black and white and red, rip stop nylon, and a pocket in the base for the inflatable mattress . "No condensation in the morning " I studied the design for weeks and worked out every detail on paper first. One thing I may change is the air mattress and use milk bags in stead the bags come in boxes restaurants use for bulk supplies. they are double walled and really tough.
    If I were in an extended situation "as in indefinite" and near a water source than I would fill the bags with water and have a water bed .
    DSCN4217.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
    chelloveck likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I hate to see this thread die , there are countless possibilities for making clothing improvements and materials and water proofing suggestions.
    For instance ,
    I am thinking of taking torn worn out pants and making cargo pockets for my other good pants .

chelloveck likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. Motomom34
  3. Legion489
  4. Ganado
  5. plotdog99
  6. gcckoka
  7. Brokor
  8. sticks65
  9. sticks65
  10. overbore
  11. RightHand