Sexually-transmitted Zika

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Feb 2, 2016.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

This is not good.........

DALLAS (AP) -- A person in Texas has been infected with the Zika virus after having sex with an ill person who had returned from a country where the disease was present, Dallas County health officials said Tuesday.

It's the first case of the virus being transmitted in the U.S. during the current outbreak of Zika, which has been linked to birth defects in the Americas. Dallas County Health and Human Services said it received confirmation of the case from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Health officials did not release any details about the Texas patient, citing privacy issues. In a tweet, Dallas health officials said the first person infected had been to Venezuela, but did not detail when and where that person or the second person was diagnosed.

The CDC says that in this case there's no risk to a developing fetus.

The Zika virus is usually spread through mosquito bites, but investigators have been exploring the possibility the virus also can be spread through sex. There was report of a Colorado researcher who caught the virus overseas and apparently spread it to his wife back home in 2008, and it was found in one man's semen in Tahiti.

"That gives you the plausibility of spread, but the science is clear to date that Zika virus is primarily transmitted to people through the bite of an infected mosquito," Dr. Anne Schuchat of the CDC said during a recent news conference about Zika.

In the epidemic in Latin America and the Caribbean, the main villain identified so far is called Aedes aegypti - a species of mosquito that spreads other tropical diseases, including chikungunya and dengue fever. It is found in the southern United States, though no mosquito-borne transmission has been reported in the continental United States to date.

Texas Department of State Health Services said that case announced Tuesday is the first one contracted in the state. But the agency noted that there are seven other cases of the virus in Texas, all related to foreign travel.

The World Health Organization on Monday declared a global emergency over the rapidly spreading Zika virus, saying it is an "extraordinary event" that poses a threat to the rest of the world. The declaration was made after an emergency meeting of independent experts called in response to a spike in babies born with brain defects and abnormally small heads in Brazil since the virus was first found there last year. Officials in French Polynesia also documented a connection between Zika and neurological complications when the virus was spreading there two years ago, at the same time as dengue fever.

WHO officials say it could be six to nine months before science proves or disproves any connection between the virus and babies born with abnormally small heads.

Zika was first identified in 1947 in Uganda. It wasn't believed to cause any serious effects until last year; about 80 percent of infected people never experience symptoms.

The most common symptoms are fever, rash, joint pain and red eyes. The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting several days to a week. Symptoms usually start two days to a week after being bitten by an infected mosquito.

The CDC says it will issue guidance in the coming days on prevention of sexual transmission of Zika virus, focusing on the male sexual partners of women who are or may be pregnant. Health officials noted that sexual partners can protect themselves by using condoms to prevent spreading sexually transmitted infections.

News from The Associated Press

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

"In the epidemic in Latin America and the Caribbean"

Another gift from our illegals.

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This Zika virus seems to not be fatal and is like the flu if you get it. I have been reading that is causes a birth defect, small heads in newborns but then the article above said:
    It sounds to me like they are not 100% sure if Zika does cause this small head defect. Could be a birth defect from a mutated dengue fever.

Florida just declared state of emergency. Florida governor declares emergency due to Zika

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

This Zika Fact Sheet just hit my inbox (from Hesperian)

Attached Files:

Ganado and HK_User like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just heard someone who is traveling to the jungle say they do not care about the Zika virus because no one is pregnant nor will be. Idiot! I really hate to call names but why do people listen to a news cast then dismiss? Research and follow up, stick with a story. Zika has other effects besides birth defects. Slowly the news is leaking out.

Brazil fears new danger from Zika virus: Paralysis
    Yes, some people have died from Zika. There are reports of paralysis. Just because you do not plan to reproduce, does not mean you are safe.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This was linked on Drudge today-
    Genes, bugs and radiation: WHO backs new weapons in Zika fight
    Full article here: Genes, bugs and radiation: WHO backs new weapons in Zika fight

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My daughter is expecting twins
    To say we are concerned is an understatement.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Congratulations on the upcoming little blessing that will become a joy to your family. I can understand your concern, I would be tempted to lock my pregnant daughter in the house.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Gator 45/70
  2. DKR
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Yard Dart
  5. VHestin
  6. Legion489
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Clyde
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7