Shame on me - Let my guard down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Sep 22, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, I've seen that response maybe 10 times. I always ask why they don't lift prints. Ahh, We'll never find them. Here's the number of the report for your insurance company. If I broke into a house, I'd get caught...

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I did take a stroll into the police department today to make a report. I met with a very nice young officer who said they have had a lot of the same kind of break in's lately. There was another a couple miles away from me yesterday afternoon - near the Sadlak shop. Anyway, the very nice young officer said he would bundle my report with the other one and did I want him to come and try to get fingerprints. Well, "no" I said, since nothing traceable was taken, it seems like an exercise in futility. He looked relieved. He did ask me if I had any firearms in the house and if so, were any missing. I said the only thing missing was the coins. I didn't want to be too committal about weapons. He said he would knock on a few doors in the area to see if anyone saw anything. Sure...

My last break-in happened after a 100% thourough cleaning of my house that very morning so every surface was spit and polish clean. When the 6 (yes - there were 6) state troopers came, they dusted the entire house. Not a print to be had because the thieves were pros but one of the troopers did hit on me during the 'investigation.' He called me many times in the next few months to "keep me updated on their progress." I guess he took his role as public servant pretty seriously. :lol:

Before I left the house this morning, I dug out a little keyholder I have that is about 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 1". Its black and has a small battery operated LED in one end. I placed it on the window sill under the sign I made last night. Looks like either a motion sensor or a minicam.

The mini-drama seems to be over. Thanks for everyone's concern.

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sounds like you all have a lot better cops than I ran into with break ins if they would even consider finger printing. The last break in I bothered to call them for (and there was a gun stolen) the officer came and while takeing the report asked if I had insurance asked if I had insurance, when I let her know I didnt she asked what I bothered to call them for then. Out of over a dozen break ins and about 7 or 8 reported with serial numbers and descriptions and at least 3 times when I told them who had been seen there (one of the times who did it, where he pawned the stuff, where he lived and worked, his name, SS# and everything else they could want to know) they recovered ONE of the two swords that had been stolen and both were on the same pawn ticket and got it back to me 6 months later.
    Oh one reason I was given why they dont dust for prints is that around 90% of the time it was done by someone you know and generaly has been in the house, wether a friend, family, guy hired to rake the yard, plumber or whatever and so there would be an explanation for the prints to be there and they would be worthless even if in an area of the house where the person never went with consent.

1. oldman11
  2. Motomom34
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Lone Gunman
  5. ED GEiN
  6. Yard Dart
  7. DKR
  8. Brokor
  9. Idahoser
  10. DarkLight
  11. Motomom34
  12. melbo