Sharpening Question

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

stg58 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'd get the 5 piece kit for it's versatility, but I'm also a tool head... For hatchets and axe's the 400 would probably be just fine.

The nice thing about their product is that the diamond bort goes all the way through the material. When it clogs up with material from whatever you are sharpening, just wash it with soap and water and it's good as new.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@Motomom34 , in truth, unless you intend to shave with your hatchet or Axe, a simple metal file is close enough. You are not making feather sticks, or slicing newsprint with it. I carry a straight, flat metal file for touch ups when needed, and never let the edge hit the dirt. (That will dull it faster than anything else you can do without deliberate abuse.)

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thanks @kellory I think we have a metal file. I can try that on the hatchet. How did you know it had hit dirt? was used for root chopping.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Here is how I learned.
    How to sharpen a knife or ax -- Boys' Life magazine

Of course Gore had not invented the Internet so I had to learn in the wild at a camping trip.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  7. kellory

Then it has surely hit dirt, , but you already know it is dull. A file is used, to straighten out a rough edge, remove the burrs, and get the edge close to perfection. A stone. Ceramic rod, or stone, just puts the finishing touches to that already sharp edge. And for a field tune up, close enough that is usually good enough. .
    Basic Axe Sharpening:

stg58 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. kellory

Oh, I think you can tell.... IMG_20150321_121302996_HDR.

Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. kellory

Same Axe after about ten minutes with a file. IMG_20150322_171425161. IMG_20150322_171438311.

Motomom34 and ghrit like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You did that in 10 minutes? I have been practicing on that garbage hammer axe I got but maybe I will start on the hatchet because I am getting little results on the other. What grain (?) did you use?

11. kellory

I don't even know, moto. It is one of many old files. Overall length of about 12" and about a medium coarseness. I'll snap a pic tomorrow if you like.
    The important thing is to keep the file parallel to the angle at all times, so you are just smoothing up the surface of that angle, not changing it, or rounding it.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@kellory just wondering. Maybe I am using a file that is not course enough. If I run my thumb along the file it doesn't rough up my skin.

13. kellory

Or, your file may be choked with dirt and old filing. A short bristle wire brush is made to clean them, by brushing parallel to the file grooves.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That short bristle thing is called a "file card". A good thing to have around. That said, files do wear out, it might be time for new. If the edge is really dinged up, start with coarse, finish with medium. You do not want shaving sharp 'cause it won't stay that way. Ax edges need to be more blunt than tapered simply due to the forces they have to resist on impact.

See this for different profiles depending on use -
    axe edge profile - Google Search
    And here's more -
    Boys axe edge/profile

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  15. kellory

....also, an Axe edge too thin and fine can chip or curl easier, doing even more damage to the edge.

ghrit likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If it chips, it's apt to be because someone overheated it on a grinder and hardened it. Curls sorta point to the right heat treatment, soft enough to not chip, and someone hit something an ax should not hit.

kellory likes this.
  17. kellory

Like nails or spikes, or even barbed wire, that may still be in the wood. Or you have clipped a splitting wedge you were trying to free from a twisted grain.:rolleyes:

ghrit likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7