"She is NOT a Bad Bear".....

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by BTPost, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

'We want this bear alive': Thousands rally to save grizzly that's chased humans
    4,000 signatures collected urging officials not to resort to killing grizzly despite aggressive behaviour
    CBC News

[​IMG]
    Provincial parks officials say if Bear 148 displays more aggressive behaviour toward people, it might have to be put down. (Spencer Rettler)

The grizzly has charged a man pushing a baby stroller, chased hikers and wandered through a high school rugby practice, but thousands of people in Banff and Canmore have petitioned the Alberta government not to consider killing the animal tagged as Bear 148.

Earlier this week, provincial officials said they might have to put down the female grizzly if it displays any further aggressive behaviour while in Alberta parkland — a comment that prompted Banff residents Bree Todd and Stacey Sartoretto to start a petition against killing the animal. It has already garnered about 4,000 signatures.

Todd and Sartoretto defend the bear's recent aggressive behaviour.

"If she wanted to kill people and dogs, she could have killed people and dogs already," said Todd.

"We want this bear alive, we want this bear protected.

"She is just as much of a local as I am, or Stacey is, or anybody else in this town," said Todd, who has lived in the area for 11 years. "And she deserves the same respect as everybody else."

[​IMG]
    Bree Todd helped create a petition to protect Bear 148 from being put down. (Kate Adach/CBC)

Alberta Environment and Parks has softened its stance in recent days.

"Our intent isn't to euthanize her," said Brett Boukall, a senior wildlife biologist with the province.

"We share the public's concern for maintaining bears on the landscape. At the end of the day, our No. 1 priority is public safety."

The bear was captured earlier this month by provincial fish and wildlife officers. In co-operation with Parks Canada officials, it was moved to the western edge of its home range in Kootenay National Park.

Within a few days, the bear had returned to the Sunshine turnoff area in Banff National Park, near the centre of her original home range, according to Bill Hunt, resource conservation manager with Parks Canada.

"That's a great place for Bear 148 to be," said Boukall, adding the animal is wearing a GPS collar that broadcasts its location every two hours.

A recent study by Parks Canada suggested the population is healthy.

Boukall said there are "roughly 100 bears or more" in the area.

[​IMG]
    Lee Garrett, an assistant coach with the high school girls rugby team in Banff, took this photo of Bear 148 as it visited their practice in May. (Lee Garrett)

She is NOT a Bad Bear...... Just "MisUnderstood"...... [lolol]

jim2, Ganado, Altoidfishfins and 10 others like this.
  2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

She needs a name. That would make it harder to euthanize her. I say Lola.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Freeking idjits. The "Disney effect" at work.

Do you want to live in a city or be part of a wildlife park?

I'll wait for the really acidic comment when the bear eats a 3 YO in their yard....

jim2, Motomom34, Yard Dart and 8 others like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Maybe Bree would be willing to take the poor bear into her family and nurture her back to being a more civil and understanding bear.

5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

This.

6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

She's not a bad bear. The problem is people are made of meat and she likes meat!

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

HA, try that down here in my AO!!! My big Grizz Bol'Shouya would eat you for breakfast and wipe his lips with the family dog!
    It's a predator, what do predators do? They kill to feed them selves, and they kill to defend them selves, they kill to protect territory! Man is not the Apex Predator, so man needs to live with what nature puts in the world. We leave our big grizz alone, we do not feed him, we do not support him in any way, and we have shot near him as a warning to keep away, we also have a plan if he decides to do bad, he gets a 300 gr soft point to the heart and lungs if he puts one big paw wrong!

8. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

*sigh* Canada at it's finest. Banff and Canmore used to be small country towns but they are now giant tourist traps. This will end when someone has a friendly 148 encounter further down the trail than the edge of the parking lot....i hope they sue everyone who signed the petition.

9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

BLM only protects black bears not grizzly bears

jim2, Motomom34, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  10. BTPost

Canada has SnowFlakes, but last I heard they didn't include BLM'ers....

Ganado, Ura-Ki and Seepalaces like this.
  11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Some more than others. [afro]

Sgt Nambu and Seepalaces like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Bear Lives Matter, you effing speciesist's... Why don't you check your primate privilege for once?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Dunerunner like this.
  14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Ok, how 'bout if 148 kills somebody, we get to execute Bree. Don't get me wrong, I don't want 148 or any bear to be put down, but human lives have to come first...........except politicians!!! :cautious:

15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Maybe Timothy Treadwell can speak to her. Wait. I forgot.

16. BTPost

Timmy was her inspiration....

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

What did the grizzly say to Timothy Treadwell?

Fill 'er up! :eek:

18. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Hey maybe we could reintroduce bear, wolves, cougars etc to the washington dc area?

Bandit99 and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I have 2 drops of Blackfoot Native American Indian blood and a few more Metis....

THOSE ARE MY SPIRIT BEARS!!!!!

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!

GIVE ME BACK MY LAND...AND YOUR TRUCK...AND FOOD EVERY MONTH FOREVER...

1. Sojourn
  2. Big Ron
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. arleigh
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. HK_User
  8. RJB
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7