She wore a hajib...

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by RightHand, Nov 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sad to say, it will happen. If the perpetrator/s are Muslim, most people will feel their opinions have have validated. If the perpetrator/s are akin to Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold or James Holmes or Adam Lanza, they will have to look for another reason for the evil acts.

That said, I fully agree that the Muslim extremists are the very essence of evil in the name of "God" and their goal IS world domination.

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Yes and they have to be destroyed, and Muslim armies will be in the forefront of that destruction. There are extremists in most ideologies, you can't let them define the whole. I am a Christian, but the Wesboro Baptist Church idiots, Jim Jones, David Koresh, seedline theologians, do not speak for me, do not represent me or the majority of Christendom. To lump everyone of any group into a blanket statement is ludicrous and intellectually dishonest.

kellory, Ganado, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Religious Extremeism is rampant thru ALL Religious persuasions.... Even among the most structured Religions of the World. The moderates in each case, decry the use of their Religion, by the Extremists... But that doesn't stop the Crazys.... In most cases, it is POWER and Greed, driving the Extremists.... Take away their Money, and they are just another CRAZY bunch, with No Power.... Isn't it interesting that ALL Religious Extremists, have the same agenda, to Excersize Control over the lives of others... All in the name, of their brand OF GOD....

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Even in their brand of "no god".

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

As to your original post RH I have to admit that,even though I am surrounded by people in Hajibs, When I am traveling and see a bunch of them about to board the same plane as me I get a bit apprehensive. Especially young males. But I have found that if I acknowledge them, especially in Arabic, it breaks the ice and they are usually quite friendly and appreciative of simple courtesy. It is not wrong to be wary, but to simply be cordial goes a long way in any culture.
    A story I like to relate is when my wife and I first moved to Saudi Arabia. We got a taxi and went to a mall. We were waiting outside for our taxi to pick us up and he was nowhere to be seen. A young Saudi man in traditional garb, walked by us and was eyeing us as he walked past. My radar was instantly on full alert. I watched him walk across the parking lot and stop. He turned back to look at us again and started coming back towards us. I told me wife to get behind me and was in full on defense mode. He approached and in very good English asked us if we were OK. I explained we were waiting for a taxi. I told him we did not have a cell phone due to just arriving in country. He got out his phone and offered it to me. I told him I didn't know the number. He called information, got the number for the taxi driver, called him and found that he was at the wrong entrance. He told him where we were and waited with us until our taxi arrived. He wished us a good night and left. I felt bad for my knee jerk reaction, as understandable as it was. I have had many of my Arab friends tell me about experiences they have had in the US and Europe. Being eyed suspiciously everywhere they go, having insults and snide remarks made about them. They are usually just as apprehensive as we are. A simple Saalam Aliekum, a friendly nod, just simple courtesy, goes a long way to making them, and us more comfortable.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This has been a really interesting discussion and I have appreciated all of the various responses. The difference in opinions range from agreement to mild or strong disagreement but all of the posters have been courteous as they express their points of view and experiences. I think this is a model thread - a hot button topic, strong opinions, diverse individuals and yet courtesy reigned for the past 3 pages. Well done community

7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

IMO, while it's fine to discuss, debate and apply critical thinking to all religions, judging people strictly by their religion, or for that matter their race, nationality, skin color, political leaning, etc. is a fool's game and not the mark of an intelligent human. Humans are unique and should be judged on their individual ACTIONS. Yeah, Islam and Christianity both have some pretty f'd up stuff in their written works, but that doesn't mean that all muzzies or xtians are f'd up. That I even feel the need to say this in intelligent company is depressing.

Ganado, chelloveck, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  8. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

Wish Charles Martel were still here to save us.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't hate the individual, the human being who is just as lost as any other --I blame the religious doctrine itself.

This doesn't mean every religion is inherently bad or destructive, but when you get enough people together to form an institution and standard of belief, it's only a matter of time until those people will insist you convert or die. Most will say this is "extremism", and to be fair, it is extreme. However, it is also just one likely, perceived solution to the problem introduced (others who will not conform), and often results in violence. In countries where we see the dominant religion growing, it takes over increasing amounts of society to the point in which it also becomes the government. For those who think it hasn't happened to us, I argue it has, to a lesser extent already happened. Perhaps you may recall the 700 Club ordained Bush Dynasty, which heavily relied upon neo-conservative, religious right-wing beliefs to usher in not one, but two of the Queen's guard into the White House. The only things separating our previous situation from becoming total control like we see in the Islamic world, is the fact that we are inherently diverse, possess a belief in the Constitution, and have a large number of gun owners. The first, offers us protection through diversity, which also becomes a very unique trait we should cherish. Our diversity does not come from differences of creed or family origin, but rather, the thoughts we choose to incorporate into our mind. The second, is more of a deterrence factor than anything else. Sure, millions of gun owners across America will proclaim, "only from my cold, dead hands!" but in reality, it will only be the three percent who will be in a position to act. The third, our Constitution, which limits government and also enshrines the most basic and critical rights of the people, is clear for all to see. It is only enforced by the people, who are its teeth.

If you want a sure-fire way to destroy freedom and liberty, all you must do is insist on a single religion and add time.

10. chelloveck

I shall pray for you too Taku, that one day you may emerge from the bubble of fear that you have created for yourself, (and are apparently presently creating and enlarging for others). Life is pretty much a game of Russian roulette, and on three occasions, the cylinder has spun for me: fortunately each time landing at an empty chamber. No Muslims were involved.

Ideological extremism, and those who peddle it, and use it for evil purposes are the enemies to be contained and neutralised, not the general population within which they operate.

11. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

chelloveck and ditch witch like this.
  12. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

[​IMG]

Taku likes this.
  13. chelloveck

There is one ideological symbol that is not on the red list to be cut in twain, that ought to be there as well....that being the Crescent moon and star. Islamists spend not a little amount of hatred, and enthusiasm for spilling the blood of their own...based on differences of doctrinal minutiae.

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Note that once Islam and the pacifists who would leave us defenseless from them are snipped away we are left with "EXIST". Coincidence?...
    upload_2015-11-17_20-8-34.

BoonDocks_36, Sapper John and Taku like this.
  15. chelloveck

That's a neat semantic trick....but it doesn't work quite as well in languages other than English...so yes...it is a coincidence.

try performing the same semantic trick with the Greek word συνυπάρχω, which means coexist.

16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

You make the bumper sticker, and I'll get to work with my scissors :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

17. chelloveck

[​IMG]
    Some memetic payloads are just so damnably resilient.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

And other memes more pertinent... perhaps you should consider drilling holes to let the water out of your sinking boat?
    [​IMG]

BoonDocks_36 likes this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Actually, in pagan and other occult circles, white denotes cleanliness and positive energy, light and all things good and innocent. Gray would be neutral, obviously. Black is for the darkness, not just for style, camouflage some think, but the opposite of white. Then, there's the KKK which throws a wrench into the whole system...nothing is sacred any more. *shakes head*

Yard Dart, RightHand and chelloveck like this.
  20. chelloveck

[​IMG]

The brainwashing starts at childhood, be they followers of the Crescent Moon and Star, or the Roman Cross or the hammer and sickle...in that sense they are the same side of the one coin (ideological dogma) and have indoctrination as the common denominator (if one has any doubts about that...all they have to do is watch Jesus Camp)....just sometimes though, people grow out of their childhood indoctrination...many never make it out of the bubble sadly. Cultism is pertinent to the discussion at hand, particularly when the claim is made that Islam is a cult.

meh....it's your meme....with perhaps you doin' the bailing and cussin'
    When the boat is taking in water....either you're working to keep the boat afloat, or you're just ballast....creating and spreading moral panics that contribute to the sinking boat taking in water does not seem all that very helpful. Being mouthy is ever so much less help than lending a hand with the bailing. If a ship that I am in is sinking, it's all hands to the pumps as far as I am concerned.

[​IMG]

RightHand and Brokor like this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. GhostX
  6. OldDude49
  7. duane
  8. OldDude49
  9. Brokor
  10. Minuteman