She wore a hajib...

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by RightHand, Nov 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You make an excellent point chimo. The eternal questions "for what am I will to die?" and "for what am I willing to see my children die?" These questions are always easier to answer in the realm of theoretical rather than reality. As with the oft repeated "from my cold dead hands" I can only wonder how I would respond if faced with an actual choice. I would like to believe that my philosophical and moral tenets would over rule the pragmatist that sits at the side of virtue. One never knows until that moment arrives. Unfortunately, that "moment" may be with us in the not to distant future.

Motomom34, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I think that there is survival value in being a member of a "group", be it religious, political, tribal, or whatever. The more powerful your group, the more survival benefits it confers. Being a member of several non-conflicting groups is even better: like White Christian Republican Mason Lions who are also Teamsters. Wherever a special right or power is conferred, a special group will exist to confer it.

It is inevitable that "groups" will struggle for power within their own environment and compete for the available resources. First to survive and then to dominate. Humans are hardwired for that.

Accordingly, it follows that the more groups a person identifies with the more certain that person will be called upon to act (to attack or defend) to maintain his group and his affiliation. Or to abandon his affiliation.

Accordingly, the fewer the group affiliations, the greater the the individual's freedom of choice. I, for one, prefer not having to do anything to maintain the power base of Whites, Christians, Republicans, Masons, Lions, Teamsters, and the like.

I just want to maintain and increase my own personal power base.

I want to go to war only when I decide it's necessary for my survival, and the survival of those I love.

But if I do, I'll definitely join the group that is best equipped, situated, and motivated to further my
    personal survival agenda.

Muslims have no choice about being in their religious group. Their group has an established policy of killing anyone who defies the group's power of the over the individual by leaving it.

There are hundreds of millions of Muslims that are not Muslims by choice. They were enslaved by that religious group without their consent. Usually by the accident of their birth. Many only follow the Muslim path to stay alive. And many avoid the fundamentalist doctrines as best they may.

When it finally comes down to house-to-house fighting, if the Muslims start losing their religious war, the conscripted Muslims will flee their religious tyranny in huge numbers. And the Muslim religion will go extinct.

Yes. There are good people who happen to be Muslims. But the Muslims who take up the sword against me and mine are not good people. In fact, any person who takes up the sword against me and mine is not a good person, regardless of the group they choose to affiliate with.

Eventually, when things go hand-to-hand in the most basic of evolutionary interactions, it's always about who's wired the hardest.

RightHand, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

To avoid making it complex; I keep it simple. We are at war with radical Islam. They have declared war on us and our way of life.
    To win a war one must kill the enemy. The only way one knows a war is over is when they stop showing up to be killed.

Ganado likes this.
  4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

or there is no one left for them to kill

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

;)
    Unless one breaks their opponent's will to fight; in war or combat, it works the way for either side.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

But there will be, they will turn on each other as they have for millenia. I regard it as our job to get them to return to that habit before we run out of us.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Judging by ISIS' executing members of any other religion than theirs, they already have turned on each other.

The problem is, the other religions haven't returned the favor.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yet.......

3M-TA3 likes this.
  9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Crusades 2016 sign up sheet going around.

Ganado likes this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That would have to have several nominally Christian nations more than a little nervous...Crusaders were as apt to sack, rape and pillage fellow Christians as they were to do such to Saracens.

[​IMG]

Siege of Constantinople (1204) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sack of Constantinople

11. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Keeping it simple is fine...but history shows us that going to war against a religion doesn't work out so well, even if you prepend scary adjectives. Romans tried to stamp out those darned extreme Christians...didn't work out so well for them. Then the Christians themselves tried to stamp out "extremist" (heritical) Christians themselves...again, didn't work out so well.

It's easy to kill enemies...killing ideas, not so much. This is a war of ideas...and IMO neither side seems to have a winning hand: 73 virgins vs 73 big macs.

chelloveck, Ganado, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  12. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's not so easy to kill ideas, but it is possible to replace bad ideas by better ideas, else we would still be burning witches, denying girls an education, owning slaves, etc etc etc.

13. RightHand

It is the unusual person who's preconceived idea can be swayed even by logic and reason. What it does take is immersion in a group with a mindset and a desire to be part of that group.

mysterymet likes this.
  14. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

We once had a better idea...we fought and won a revolution to create a new country based on that idea. Sadly, we seem to have sold off that idea in exchange for false security...and big macs.

Taku likes this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have only been able to help change a person's opinion using logic and reason when they are already in an emotional state that has temporarily opened their mind. For example, after a horrible landslide in Washington State dominated the local news I was able to get others to think about emergency preps.

I think most of us live in a bubble that insulates us from the world so we can maintain our sanity. The opportunity to learn and grow comes when that bubble has been popped and before we grow a new one.

Taku and RightHand like this.
  16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have a friend who is a hard-line Communist. We will often discuss what is .vs.what should be. And when the discussion gets too far in my favor (often) it is as if he hits an internal reset button, pulls back into himself and reemerges, about the same as he started. He is back in his core beliefs. If is as if the discussion were not real.
    It is not easy to change someone's belief system, even when you can prove it.

pearlselby likes this.
  17. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

RightHand and chelloveck like this.
  18. BoonDocks_36

BoonDocks_36 Monkey+

That Taku copied & pasted, is not the issue. The FACTS he quoted are indeed What the muslim thinks is truth. There is no Cherry Picking about it, the Sura's (Chapters) of the koran ALL teach, islam's Supremacy over All other religions, and the only real solution is death.... even if you Convert to islam, you are still "prey" fro more radical muslim extremists.

I have studied islam for Twenty Years under the "know thy Enemy" thought process. Within the 3 Major schools or divisions islam, there are Zero Agreements with each other. IOW, they kill and mutilate "fellow" ~followers~ of islam.

The so called "moderate" muslim is in dire straights if they speak out against one of the other sects. Those are just plain facts, All news sources can find these same issues.

Now, about the Anti-Abortion people, Just because they use the name Christian to label themselves, OES NOT, in itself make them Christian.

reading the New Testament, one can find the BASIS of "being Christian" NONE of them consider the Practices that Anti-Abortionists practice: IOW, They walk a different Walk than what a real Christian practices. "By their Fruits, ye shall know them" means by their Actions, not by their Words alone . . .

Has their been Christian Crusades in the Past ???? Yes. Primarily, to regain what was TAKEN from them by followers of mohamed.

In fact, Those who can pay the Jizya Tax, are not entirely Safe just because they paid their "Infidel Tax", a muslim can still decide they are ~allowed~ to remove their Breathing Status, and not be incarcerated for their actions.

Indeed, the Bottom Line ~is~ islam is is the ONLY "religion" that Adheres to the concept muslims are the only people who are correct.

philip, in the Boondocks of Oregun . . .

Tikka, Taku, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  19. saltbush

saltbush Monkey

How so? You're just as dead if you're killed in the attack; it doesn't matter what the killers were thinking. It's as well to remember some of the things we were getting away from when we established the U.S.A. One of them was religious totalitarianism. Of course there are vast differences today between Christian and Muslim societies but I daresay these have more to do with ethnic and racial differences than theological ones. (I hope that pointing out the obvious doesn't get me into trouble here) Some peoples have managed to evolve out of their earlier barbarism with the centuries, at least in the main, and some of them have not. It's always a mistake to believe that people are merely products of their societies and can somehow be 'cured' by removing them to a more advanced one. The opposite is true: societies are products of people. Wherever one moves them to, they'll behave according to their origins. And it is that, above all things, that makes Mohammedism a particularly dangerous element when brought into Western societies.

Ganado likes this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's understood that dead is dead, then why is one group to be feared more than the other? The difference is both in scale and intent. Compare the total of all injury and death from abortion protesters to the loss of life by Muslim terrorists this year alone or even just a single event.

Abortion protesters aren't out to take life - their sole purpose is to protect it. You have no reason to fear from them unless you perform abortions, and even then it's extremely rare. Anti abortion groups have also been quick to condemn violence. That is why I said I have no fear of them.

Islam, on the other hand, wants you either dead or converted as a subordinate only slightly better than a slave. They have no qualms about taking innocent life on a mass scale. After the Brussels attack the leader of the local Mosque was interviewed. Did he condemn the violence? Not one bit. His message instead was about how he feared retaliation from non-Muslims.

Ironically, the best way for the Muslim community to prevent retaliation is to stand up and condemn the attacks. Why is it that this almost never happens? From their silence my conclusion is that they either condone or support it. The only thing stopping them is the fear of retaliation, and interestingly, that's the first and only thing they will talk about.

Taku likes this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. GhostX
  6. OldDude49
  7. duane
  8. OldDude49
  9. Brokor
  10. Minuteman
  11. chelloveck