Sheet Mulching - How to Sheet Mulch

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by greathomesteader, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. greathomesteader

greathomesteader Monkey++

Hello,

To turn my front yard into an edible garden, I used the sheet mulching method.
    I got many pictures.

Steps ---> Sheet mulching method

Comments?

Motomom34 and Oltymer like this.
  2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

My brother has used this method with a lot of success. I'm leery of trying it where I'm at now because of the problems with a healthy population of copperheads, which I think would move right into a garden built like this.

svjoe likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

poor website layout, overly complicated and can't get to the info

another self promoter who found the monkey.... so annoying

4. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Copperheads, rattlesnakes and moccasins to worry about in my neck of the woods

5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I had a good friend many years ago whose small company made potting containers to start grape plants. Did real well sell to the big vineyards. Then source dried up and changed paper source and glue to new suppliers. As the plants got bigger and roots made contact with the new containers, the ink and/or glue was toxic and killed the plant. Cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars to compensate all his customers, darn new bankrupted him. Beware of the ink and glue on used cardboard.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I really like your site. Very easy to use and great idea of using recycled materials. I am envious that you are about to get good deciduous mulch. Around here one is apt to get lots of pine if you get the free or cheap stuff. Any idea how long it takes for the cardboard to breakdown? I know that Canadian thistle seeds can be dormant for up to 10 years so I wonder about weeds years down the road.

7. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I've been doing this at my house as well. Running grasses cannot be stopped. They are easy to remove because they root into the mulch but it's going to be a fight for me for a while.
    I have spread out the first Giant truckload, but, I need 3 or 4 more to get the job done.
    It took about 10 hours for 3 people (30 Man Hours) to move it in wheel barrels. Next loads I going to dump closer to the site.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7