Shelf Stable Energy Bars

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Motomom34, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love this recipe. I have been able to switch up some items to accommodate the different likes and dislikes in our house. Allegedly these are shelf stable and one comment that I saw said they can last upwards of 24 months if sealed properly.

So far the batch that I made, which I split in half added chia seeds and Cranrasins to one batch and followed the instructions on the other half. These are being consumed quite fast. The bars cook like a brownie, crunchy sides and moist middle so that issue has to be fixed if I am planning on adding them to food storage. I know we could substitute carob chips for chocolate or a different flavor.

DIY Shelf Stable Energy Bars

I know there are various ways to make these. If anyone tries these and has a variation or tip please share.

hitchcock4 likes this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

MM34, Are you saying they need no special storage for up to 2 years? How are you storing them? They sound tasty!

3. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

@RickR you might have done the same thing I did the first time -- read the post too quickly.
    The post mentioned vacuum sealed (with O2 absorbers) so I assume that's what MM34 meant by sealed properly.

Sounds like a great idea. Yum.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Motomom34 My apologies! I did exactly what @hitchcock4 said and read through everything you wrote but for some reason skipped what you quoted. I've no idea why... I'm very sorry! Please forgive.

@hitchcock4 Thank you!

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I really want to try different variations. The issue with storing is that we eat them before I get a chance to put some away. No problem @RickR just let me know if you try them.

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I wouldn't make it with nuts, not until I get all my crappy teeth pulled and get dentures so I can chew them. I figure the no-bake cookies are similar enough(they use 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 2 cups sugar, 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup milk, 3 cups quick-cooking oats, and 2/3 cup peanut butter...2 tsp of vanilla extract if you want, I never make them with the peanut butter or extract). You heat the butter/milk/sugar/cocoa powder together in a pan on the stove until it comes to a roiling boil, take it off the heat, let it cool for one minute, and add peanut butter, vanilla, and oats. Stir good and then spoon onto proper surface for cooling(wax paper, foil, or parchment paper). They'll set in half an hour or more depending on the temp of the room.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

1. Yard Dart
  2. Ganado
  3. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  4. ED GEiN
  5. chelloveck
  6. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes