Shelter/cabins/tempory and permanent

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by rsbhunter, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

New cabin

It sounds alot like what i'm looking at...i just saw somewhere in a site on Colorado's weather that the San Luis Valley's frost depth can be , i think it said as deep as 4-5'!!!! because it gets so cold, and they don't get enough snow to insulate the ground FROM freezing.I'm about 10 miles from the San Luis Valley at 10,000 feet, believe it or not, i'm better off as far as frost depth, because of the snow depth at that elevation....go figure!!! But i do have a tendency to overbuild.....and people say"you'll never need that much------- (fill in the blank) , but it's better than hearing, "if you had just put a little more------" ....so i listen when people here give advice...most live the life.....I'm just glad i found this site, and am grateful for ALL the people here that are willing to help and share their experiences.......rsbhunter [bow]

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a thought.... If your Bedrock base is closer to the surface, than the Frost Line, you only need to go down to Bedrock, with your Piers. Drill a couple of Holes in the Bedrock and install Rebar Rods to anchor the Piers on, Step, or Pour, the Piers and then backfill around them. That will do, nicely.... ..... YMMV....

Cephus likes this.
  3. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

bedrock

That would be nice, guess some digging is in order to find out what i'm sitting on...Going to rent a small back hoe to dig footings, if it is rock, might see if a jack hammer attachment is available...would make for quick work for setting rebar....rsbhunter

4. Resqdan

Resqdan Archangle

the off set studs is a great way to save on heat loss.. i plan on my perfect house to have 2x8 walls.. a cheaper way to go is constructing 2- 2x4 walls offsetting the studds.. if you use pre cut studs the extra cost is nominal and the savings on heat is over the top.. plus that way your stud placement is the same as any other house..

for the foundation do block.. you wold only need one truck to come in and pour your footings and the rest you can do by yourself.. you could mix the rest as you need.. fill the block spaces with sand.. and leave the floor dirt or construct a wood floor.. its a good way to take onership and know how everything is put together..

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It would be a lot Quicker, AND cheaper to use a Roto-Hammer Drill and a 1/2" Masonry Bit. The ReBar only has to go down 6-8" into the Bedrock. When I was Digging Foundations in Alaskan Bedrock in the Middle of Winter, I used 1/4 Sausages of 1" Tovex, in 1 1/4" Core-Drilled Bore Holes 2 Ft. deep, to excavate the Foundation Holes, and the Roto-Hammer, to punch the ReBar Holes, after the resulting Gravel was removed. ..... YMMV...

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, but you had a powder monkey license ---

I agree with the hammer drill if the rock is deep enough and relatively flat to make the blockwork fairly simple. Otherwise, a hydraulic bull prick on the backhoe would be a lot better. Note that most equipment rental folks will NOT put the bull prick on their best machines. Very hard on the gear. Also, usually takes a pretty good sized machine to handle them.

7. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

If you are planing a quick trip up when the snow melts, just take a shoel and post hole digger and dig a test hole or two. That way you can find out what is under the top soil without renting expensive equip. You need to know what is down there before making up your mind and spending money.

8. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

9. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

digging

Definately will try shovel, pick ax first....then see what needs to be done...rsbhunter

10. MCEscher

MCEscher Monkey

That sounds very like a very cool project. Ive been exploring cabins here in Illinois and have found a lot of real nice ones that are actually PRE FAB. But I think I may go the modular/yurt/container house method. Good luck with your project and don't freeze to death out there. lol.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7