Shemagh vs gamcha

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Oct 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

DuxDawg and kellory like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[LMAO][ROFL][LMAO][ROFL] women call these scarves...

stg58, Hanzo, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

See? They have been getting it wrong for years....:rolleyes:

Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

If I recall correctly, I paid only a few bucks each for the gamchas.

I call it a bath towel. My wife loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Towel!

DuxDawg, 3M-TA3, Marck and 2 others like this.
  5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

FWIW, a bandana/shemaugh,gamcha/scarf made it on Mykel Hawke's top 6 survival items list.

6 Things You Must Carry To Survive Anything. - Grunt Style Magazine!

@Hanzo: thanks for the head's-up. I didn't know about gamchas. I like the fact that they're bigger. I have a few shemaughs and they're just not big enough for me, especially if you needed to make a make-shift arm sling.

Hanzo likes this.
  6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I like their prices too bad they don't relate their color scheme to the items as posted.

For those in the far north i.e. MT the cotton is not a good cold weather wrap.

Pick a nice Scottish plaid in wool and get on with your search.

HK

Hanzo and stg58 like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My wife is an avid knitter. She cranks out stuff for noble reasons and for no reason. She has a closet full of yarn at all times. And yarn stashes everywhere. She is a charter member of Sock for Soldiers. And she regularly knits a whole bunch of socks and caps and stuff, all to spec, to send to our soldiers serving overseas. The coolest picture we received so far, was from a special forces unit in Afghanistan, all wearing knitted gear with there uniforms and weapons. I was surprised, it was large unit. And I was more surprised that they were not blurred in any way. Thank you for your service guys and thank you for sharing. Heck, maybe one of you was in there.

And I thank my wife for her service in making these. My part is the very smallest. I just pay for it and encourage her.

Anyway, she is always on the lookout for a good knitting bag, whatever that means. I have purchased quite a few for her over the years. One that wasn't purchased works pretty well. It is an old shemagh tied into a bag configuration. She likes it. Bonus is it looks Hawaiian, except for the print. Here she is in her little knitting nook with her unsightly pattern printer in the background. I think the shemagh bag looks good on her.

[​IMG]

As for the gamcha, it is so versatile too. We use it when we wash at camp, go swimming, heck it takes the place of clothes in a pinch. In fact, that is all I am wearing tonight, even as I post this. The cotton is thin, so it is cool and there is ventilation. Anyway, it gives two layers for the front and one for the back. At least how I'm wearing it. And it goes to below the knees, so even the most endowed monkeys can be modest. I like keeping one in my pack too. Gamcha, NOT endowed monkey.

Oh by the way, I did not take any pictures of me wearing only the gamcha. You're welcome.

DuxDawg, Marck, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Well I now have a C.S.A. flag that I can no longer fly being the PC guy I am. Would that suffice as a gamcha?

Hanzo likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Might be OK, but strikes me about the same as using a US flag as a rag. Just ain't right.

techsar, CATO, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I agree with @ghrit unless it is a survival situation.

Marck and CATO like this.
  11. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Aw, I was being a wise azz. I ain't PC and I still fly the flag. Screw the lib apologists.

kellory, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I respect you more now, @oldawg.

oldawg likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

By the way, having some type of clip on your stuff makes it easy to carry even when you are naked except for your towel of choice.

14. ghrit

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
    Hanzo and HK_User like this.
  15. HK_User

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  16. ghrit

Heh. The idea is to keep the towel UP, not drag it down --- :lol:

Hanzo and HK_User like this.
  17. HK_User

Couldn't resist

Hanzo and ghrit like this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I guess I'm just weird...I use a scarf.

Didn't wear the native stuff in the sandbox, and never will. :whistle:

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

If it makes you feel better, @techsar, you can always use the shemagh as an ass rag. I've never worn one, but I like the large size to wrap up stuff or to make a bag. I also use thin aloha print fabric too for that purpose. So instead of the aloha shirt, I have the aloha shemagh. Or scarf or square fabric, whatever you want to call it. But I really the large size of the gamcha. A large towel is handy!

20. HK_User

A "Scots native" plaid wool scarf is great for a winter bike ride. Got my first long ago, cashmere Tartan Plaid. Good cashmere doesn't chafe and is warm in the winter.
    [​IMG]

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  1. ED GEiN
  2. Swedish woman
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Meat
  5. Hanzo
  6. HK_User
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Motomom34
  9. Ganado
  10. stg58