Shemagh vs gamcha

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Oct 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hawaiian Indian kilt? Gamcha lavalava.

[​IMG]

2. Airborne Monkey

Airborne Monkey Gorilla Survivalpithecus

I dunno ... perhaps I'm getting old but a drive on rag and OD colored bath towel has always served me well. And dammit, it's American.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I bought the boys & I some shemaghs. We love them. They are a soft cotton, much larger than a large bandanna. These are usually used as a head scarf but can be used as a sling, bandage etc.. my dog is not happy about the idea but I can make a sling and carry him. It think these will be a bonus during winter.

I bought my shemaghs on Amazon cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1593L4/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

They work well in the summer as camo in my Yote hide. Light weight and can cover all but the eyes, easy to adjust and not rough on older skin. Mine that is.

Gator 45/70, Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Any cloth can be a useful thing. My wife has even used a shemaugh as a little mini dress kind of cover coming out of the shower. And my scarf too. The scarf turned into a sexy little dress. Obviously, it works for me.

The shemaugh may to too small for me to wear decently. But I have worn the gamcha wrapped around my waist. That works.

So many uses beyond wearing and as a towel.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I am always surprised how some folks refuse to accept the inputs of others.
    Times change and good ideas should be recognized for what they are worth instead of where they came from.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The Arabs have been using them for years. There is a good reason. It is not just an Arabic head wrapper.

33-Survival-Uses-For-a-Shemagh.

HK_User, DuxDawg, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Also look up furoshiki. I have made one into a yarn bag for my wife as well as a carry bag and fanny pack and back pack. And my wife has worn one. Big enough to wrap and cover from chect to thighs. Looks good on too! Can't wait to unwrap my present!! That wasn't her intent, but that's MY story and I'm sticking to it. Also used it to hold bags of ice when I have to ice an ankle or knee.

Quick note, do not use it to hold something hot if the shemagh is wet. Any cloth for that matter.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Let me make one thing perfectly clear , post SHTF event,
    If I see some one approaching with any thing covering their face I will assume them to be muslim intent on invasion.
    Just like the old west, ONLY Bandits wear masks.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

or Antifa protesters, looking for my firearms... Yup, Shoot, Shovel, Shutup....

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just remember... “bad guys always have brothers.”

HK_User and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Those skirtie thingies mosquito proof?

HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't defend with single shots.

HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sadly, nothing is really mosquito proof. But if you eat a lot of garlic, less bites. If you eat less sweets, less bites. That's what I found anyway. I'd tuck the bottom shut if I was wearing that in a heavy mosquito area. Bites on the vitals would not be fun.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What about just covering of the head? On cold days I always wrap a scarf in a babushka fashion. I have been doing that since high school, never thought that someone could shoot me because I am trying to keep warm. Sometimes I drape the scarf over my mouth if it is really cold or flu season.

babushka_4.

Hanzo, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Let me clarify ,
    I have no objection to wearing something to deal with cold. I will wear a balaclava if it is necessary .
    Under normal weather conditions ,people choosing to hide their identity is a simple indicator of trouble afoot.

Motomom34, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Being that I'm a Ninja and all..............

[ROFL][lolol][ROFL][js][whipem][whipem]

ninja.

Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I will cover my head with a scarf too when it gets cold. I usually rather do that than wear pants.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You won’t have to worry about being shot. You won’t be seen.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. ED GEiN
  2. Swedish woman
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Meat
  5. Hanzo
  6. HK_User
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Motomom34
  9. Ganado
  10. stg58
  11. H.I.S Survival