Shemagh vs gamcha

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Oct 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Can't evade radar .

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That you know of...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Once we had a Doberman , she'd let you in, but getting out was a whole other problem .

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

5. Beckerbrain

Beckerbrain Monkey

Everyone should check out the hobo hanky. I posted a link here a while back but I think it was deleted by mods. It’s basically a 42” x 42” bandana, (about the size of a shemagh) but they come in solid colors like desert tan olive drab etc too. I’ve been using mine for about 3 weeks and I can’t find a single complaint. I still have a few shemaghs but I don’t think they’ll get much use anymore. The material, breathability, absorption rate, are all just incredible. They make a loose weave and a fine weave. I plan on ordering 4 of 5 more to stash in vehicles and keep a couple permanently in my camp bag and my B.O.B. Truly cannot say enough great things. If you’re looking for an amazing shemagh alternative, definitely check out the hobo hanky.

Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I found the Hob Hanky and it is a cool site. They have a list of uses.

Big Ass Bandana

Jerry Fisk, Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  7. Beckerbrain

Beckerbrain Monkey

Mine are still going strong and I use them almost every day now. I’ll never go back to a shemagh or buff ever again. The 100% cotton takes dye extremely well too. The loose weave is so much better in the heat/sun than any other alternative ive ever found/tried. Word of warning though, hand wash the loose weave and let it hang dry, do not put it in the washer/dryer or it will shrink and possibly tear. It’s a very loose weave which makes it breath so amazingly in the humidity, but loose weave isn’t so tough for a thrashing washing machine. Get the fine weave if you’re worried about it, but it might not be a problem for anyone else. My washing machine is from 1996 ha

Ganado, Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo I'm convinced that I need to find one of these. I love how versatile they are and the fact that they can be folded and small. Thank you for sharing this post.
    If you had to choose just one, which one would you choose? I'm still thinking of traveling with just a basic backpack.

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The gamcha is bigger than the shemagh and I think more versatile. Cheaper too. Still only a couple of bucks at the Krishna Store online. I actually carry a NxN wool kerchief in my backpack. I have it rolled up into a maybe 8" long tube about an inch thick. It lives in a large ziplock bag to keep it clean and dry and goes in the bottom of my unpadded laptop sleeve in the backpack. That was it serves double duty as a cushion for my electronics. And it is wool, so an extra layer when cold. Even used it red riding hood style as a rain hood and cape. The gamcha is in my clothes bag when I travel.

When we are at the beach or hiking or some such, the gamcha comes along as a towel and portable changing room. My wife is particularly skilled at changing with the gamcha wrapped around her. Easier for me to just drop trou, but when people are around, I do the wrap around the waist change too.

Lastly, the gamcha is large enough to wear as a garment in a pinch. The shemagh would be a really really short sexy mini dress. And probably not too modest, hence the sexy.

Oh, and despite how thin they are, they last!! My last batch is 15-20 years old and not a single one is worn out yet. And we use them regularly. At $3-4 each, unreal deal.

On sale now! I might buy some more. Gamcha, Bengali cotton -- Traditional Indian Bathing Towel

Alanaana likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Alanaana, I also bought one of these pashmina shawls when I got the gamcha. Men's Pashmina Wool Shawl (Chadar)

Used it for years. It is so thin, you can see through it, but it was quite warm. I went on every camping trip, of which there were many, and traveling. That extra layer makes a huge difference. And when it is not cold, but need a little cover, perfect.

Mine was a little bigger than what is being sold now. When I saw the NxN kerchiefs, I really liked the idea but not the price. So I cut the shawl in half to make two extra large pashmina kerchiefs. I regret cutting it especially since I ended up buying the kerchief later. Tried to buy another as NxN was shutting down, but they sold out so fast.

Alanaana likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A fabric store would provide you all you want.

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Very true. I have gone that route before too. But the gamcha is just so cheap in cost. I have even used it load bearing and it held up. I guess most fabric probably would. I like that I don't have to do anything except wash it.

Alanaana likes this.
  13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This was super helpful @Hanzo. Thank you! Immediately after I asked you, I went on Amazon and couldn't find any good Gamcha options, but I did end up getting a Shemaqh on sale. I know that you get what you pay for so it may not be the best, but I was excited to try it. Thank you for sending me this link for Gamchas. That's much more affordable and it's so nice to know of a reliable source (sometimes it's hard to tell online.)
    I laughed so hard when you said that the Shemagh would be an immodest sexy dress. I am 4'11" so maybe it would turn out to be a normal sized dress? LOL.

15-20 years is very impressive! In your earlier comment I really appreciate that you mentioned the wool cap that your wife knitted. It reminded me that I will need to get some warmer essentials because I think I only have sunhats and Hawai'i clothing. Thanks again for such a helpful response!

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I know the Krishna Store has a shipping charge, but it is modest. Unless you are only buying one gamcha, then it would be exorbitant. I may buy a handful more just to throw around. We do find them useful. If you want to get something, we can bundle our orders to cut down shipping costs if you like. I have to tell you, I use the gamcha way more than a shemaugh.

Send your sexy shemaugh dress picture! :whistle: That's the closest emoji I could find to a wolf call.

My wife is not much taller than you at 5'1". She wore the shemaugh after her shower once. Had it wrapped squared behind her, then pulled the top corners across the front and up around her neck where she tied if off. I said hubba hubba or something like that. I likeyed it.

Wool caps are small and really good to have. I whip mine out on occasion and it saves the day.

Any cloth too. I keep a couple in my truck. One time, I drove to a farm stand to buy fresh bread. They had no packaging, so I wrapped them in cloth and brought it home.

Alanaana likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Alanaana, many years ago, I was shopping for a Christmas present for a friend. She used to like Disney baseball shirts.

As I was looking around in the store, I had no idea what size, what kind. You know, a typical guy shopper. I spotted this lady in the store who was about exactly the same size and my friend, so I asked her help. Told her what friend wanted and that she was the same size. So she told me her size and told me to get the button up shirt... because "easier access." I was too shy to take that conversation farther. But the thoughts in my mind... She was a nice looking lady too. Oh boy.

Shamaugh dress put that thought back in my mind.

Alanaana likes this.
  16. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

That was so thoughtful of you! I enjoyed this story. Can't put a price on practical? :ROFLMAO:

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Alanaana, one more thing to consider... When I travel outside of the state, I am always concerned about water. I often pack a small Grayl filter bottle with me. I use that to filter tap water to carry in a water bottle I also bring if bottled water is not available or too expensive. Filtered water even for brushing teeth and stuff is a safer way to go.

CraftyMofo and Alanaana like this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Thank you Hanzo! I didn't even think this far in advance, but I'm so glad that you mentioned this. I'm always very concerned about having clean water. I was going to bring a nalgene with me, but noticed that it's very clunky and will probably be too bulky. It would be even better to have a portable filter. I'll look up this Grayl filter bottle. Please let me know if you think of any other must-haves for travel. I really appreciate it. Also my Shemagh apparently shipped and should be here in a few days! Are you experiencing this rain?

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Not sure if I mentioned before, but nail clippers, sewing kit, tape, string, lighter, meds/supplements... I take a slimmer bottle for water and the Grayl filter bottle. I do not use the Grayl to store and carry water, just to filter. Thought I would love the Yeti 20oz, but it is only so so. I mainly got it because it fits under the airport lounge's ice and water dispenser.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I should be getting the same rainfall as you. I am pretty sure we are really close to each other. Pounding monsoon earlier. I had to take my daughter to the airport early this morning and it is definitely a stay at home kind of day. Our 10,000 tanks was at about 50-60% since we power washed the roof while the weather was still pretty dry. Our overflow was a raging torrent.

Alanaana likes this.
  1. ED GEiN
  2. Swedish woman
  3. Swedish woman
  4. Meat
  5. Hanzo
  6. HK_User
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Motomom34
  9. Ganado
  10. stg58
  11. H.I.S Survival