SHOOT LIKE A GIRL

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Ganado, Jun 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

12 Mistakes Men Make When Hunting with Women

My grandmother was such a good hunter she could take me, my brother and sister on a turkey hunt, walk about a mile off the road (we were 5, 6 and 8 at the time) gobble up a tom turkey, keep us kids interested and kill the damn turkey in one shot. So when men get weird about women hunting I tell them this story. The hard part is keeping kids that age entertained and quiet long enough to get the bird in range.

She shot coyote's on the farm at 500 yards across the creek to protect her guinea hens.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I get a few

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's the thing about handgun recoil; the only way you are going to beat it is to go heavier. With a rifle you can add a shoulder pad or some kind of buffer system if possible, but pistolas are rather limited. The heavier pistols will tend to grant you less of burden on the wrists for sure, but the trade off is, of course the weight. Any modern polymer striker fired handgun is going to be moderate in weight overall and a bit top heavy, lending even more to the recoil and wrist punishment with heavier calibers. This is why the 9mm is considered to be the middle road, not as low in potential stopping power as the .380, but a good jump from the beast of the .45 (even though the 1911 is king of all carry firearms even for ladies in my humble opinion). The whole damn kit and caboodle goes out the window when we think just about concealment, though. You *could* go with an older handgun which would be heavier, yet smaller. A couple which come to mind are the Polish Radom P64, or the venerable Makarov (both chambered in 9x18). One adaptation I would recommend for the P64 is custom grips, and for the Makarov something similar known as the PPM -link- to make them even better.

Makarov with PPM:
    [​IMG]
    Polish P64 with custom grips:
    [​IMG]

I already linked a suggestion for a lighter, small CC handgun in my first post, in case anybody is interested. I do like to go middle ground with conceal carry and always use an XDS .45 because I feel it affords a better solution for my needs. I did opt for the 4" version of the XDS, when most people usually go for the 3.3", but that's their fault. ;) Everybody is going to be a little different. With my choice, I get superior handling (albeit only slight) for not much of a trade-off in size and weight.

There are lots of choices out there, some good, some bad. It's nice to see you're sampling the wares before buying, G. - Smart!

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A friend was talked into a smith feather weight 38 spl, and it hurt to shoot .I let her shoot my Ruger .357 mag and she immediately bought one, I didn't have to say any thing she felt the difference and was more encouraged to practice and save the smith for emergencies.
    If your not going to practice with it, what's the point ?

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I taught my sister handgun shooting, she has a pair of S&W SD9VE pistols. I reworked the triggers for her. She was so proud the first time she took out the center of her target before I took out the center of mine. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was because she had 15 round mags compared to my 6 shot revolver!

Now she can pick up anyone's handgun and shoot it well, often better than it's owner can. Her husband was astounded when she picked up his 40 S&W for the first time ever and shot it better than he did!

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I have a lady friend who is very small, has very small hands, and can't handle a lot of recoil comfortably. Her solution was the PMR30. .22 Magnum may not be a traditional man stopper, but with 30 rounds in the magazine, eyeball accuracy, and the ability to make rapid follow-up shots there are few attackers who it wouldn't stop. The deep narrow wound channels would hurt so bad they'd want to stop.
    PMR30.
    It's not a 9MM, but I beat a bunch of three gun shooters with it at steel plate events. They hated me when I ran whole stages without reloading. A perfect dead center hit on a plate might not knock it down, but anywhere else on the plate and it was down. I never left one standing. I'll have to throw them on a scale, but I'd bet that the PMR30 with 90 rounds loaded in three mags weighs about the same as a 1911 with two loaded 8 rounders. Bianchi UM-84 Universal holster is a perfect fit, and High Speed Gear has a triple Taco mag pouch that holds the magazines snug. 30 rounds of pure evil little 40 grain JHP at 1200FPS is a nasty surprise.

If you can find somebody that'll let you try theirs I bet it'll make you smile. ;-)

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Goodness. I can't even imagine the police report if there's a self defense incident.
    "Suspect was turned into swiss cheese in what can only be described as some sort of magic. We did not turn up who could have done it, but we suggest a thorough search of Hogwart's School." I mean, I like it...and it can definitely do the job...but damn. Maybe a few to the chest with a 9 or one bullet center mass from a .45 will suffice, but when you're talking in multiples of ten I would be a little concerned. There are cases of one or two shots to the head with a .22 (esp. magnum) doing the trick, though. Mafia hits have happened this way. Self defense is a different issue. Better than nothing?

I do know that I would not want to be on the receiving end of a high cap firearm of any kind, which is why I "know this guy" who stocks up on .22 rifles to arm a village if needed.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The PMR30 isn't my cup 'o tea, but it is a fine pistol. I gave mine to my uncle a couple of years back. The main reason is when I shoot I like to shoot a lot. I can feed my MKII's for a lot less than the PMR. That being said, I know of three "little 'ol Ladies" in this area that own these for self defense. Loaded with quality HP's I've no doubt the PMR will do the job.

14. I wish .22 mag wasn't so expensive (Hell I wish lots o' things weren't so expensive) I have no experience with the PMR but can you imagine launching 30 rds of hollow points into a soft target at defensive ranges.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. hot diggity

Have you looked at the Tagua Remora holster?

It's sticky (not icky sticky) on the outside and that's what retains it in your waist band. Strapless. No belt needed.

That woman carries her Ladysmith in one of these that is the size for a full size 1911. (Her other gun) It works well on and off body, and will stay in position between seat and console in the car. She tosses a dish towel over it, and nobody knows it's there.

Witch Doctor 01 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I have seen it but not tried it... do you have a link with a picture...trying to picture of what you are thinking

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. hot diggity

Pretty good review here. That woman uses the larger Remora holster because it has a much larger surface area.

I'll stick with IWB holsters with rubber straps, but I always have a stout gun belt in my belt loops. That doesn't always work with women's fashions.

20. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

The nice thing about the PRM30 is the CMR30 carbine that takes the same mags and has a threaded barrel. A very light pistol and carbine combo. I don't think I'd want to go into combat with that, but in a GHB or BOB I can think of worse. .22 mag is expensive though, easily the same as 9mm and a 9mm carbine/pistol combo is a pretty neat deal even if it is heavier.

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Motomom34
  7. Bishop
  8. wideym
  9. Ganado
  10. Lancer
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Unique