Shooting induced hearing loss

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by melbo, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I got my new hearing aids a week or two ago. I need to go back and have them turned down a notch or two. Can't wear them much of the time as I don't do anything where I need them except for going out in public. Can't wear them on the tractor, or shooting or running any kind of power tools or riding the motorcycle. So except TV and public, what else is there? Oh yeah, listening to my wife talk! Ha! I could miss most of that.

2. FTHarvey

FTHarvey Defend the Bedrock

Agreed. I have some loss and a brain injury from my first deployment. Balance is a bit better now after therapy, but I still sometimes bump my shoulders into doorways. I carry one of my medical documents in both vehicles in case I'm ever pulled over. I know you're not talking specifically about tbi, but they said I'll probably lose my balance again as my hearing eventually fails more. I used to work as a bouncer in a big nightclub and people looked at me funny when they noticed my earplugs.

3. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Oh, and while it may be a side note to hearing, vertigo can be mitigated with meclizine, which is Bonine or non drowsy Dramamine.
    I keep lots if it handy, there are few things worse than sudden onset vertigo

4. WindWarrior

WindWarrior Sea Monkey

Vertigo and imbalance are two separate (but sometimes related) issues. Vertigo is room-spinning dizziness. Meclizine (aka Antivert, Bonine) can take the edge off the spinning, but usually causes significant sedation. Ativan or Valium also help control vertigo, often with less associated drowsiness. These medications should only be used as needed and not long-term. They are over-prescribed and are not suitable for all types of vertigo, including the most common type: benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

As far as imbalance, many people benefit from Vestibular Rehabilitation Exercises, such as Cawthorne exercises or through a formal Vestibular Rehabilitation program with a properly trained Physical Therapist (many do not have adequate VR training).
    Balance and hearing loss are not necessarily related. Hearing loss and/or balance may worsen independent of each other. Not a bad idea to do Cawthorne exercises for 4-6 weeks when you notice your balance being "off", as this should help your balance system readjust more quickly to any degradation in function.

To the OP: unfortunately there is no good recovery treatment for noise-induced SNHL. Several meds have been tested for prevention/protection (USN researched this in the late '90's), but only high dose steroids taken BEFORE exposure had any beneficial effect. Ear-level hearing protection (ear muffs or plugs) is the only reliable prevention at this time - make sure the devices have a high NRR rating.

cdnboy66 and kellory like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7