shooting to survive

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by -06, Jul 15, 2013.

1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

There is only one type of shooting competition that only has a trophy for second place. The trophy is generally made of granite, has an epitaph inscribed on it, and when it is awarded to you, you are surrounded by everyone you love, crying their eyes out because you are dead. It's called a tombstone. A gunfight is a competition, but it isn't a standard shooting competition like those you see in timed shooting sports. Speed is a factor, but it isn't the only factor. And there will always be factors outside of your control, such as the physical and mental state of the threatening party, his competence, how well we shoot under the pressure of a gunfight, and what we are doing while engaging our adversary to keep from getting shot (or cut, or bludgeoned, etc.). Some things, however, you can control, or at least prepare to control, and many of these involve speed and can be practiced. They are how fast you are able to present your weapon, how fast you can fire it accurately, and how fast you can reload when you are out of bullets or in danger of soon being out of bullets. Wyatt Earp, one of the most famous gunfighters of all time, is quoted as saying: "Take your time…but be quick about it! He is also quoted as saying something to the effect of "Fast is fine but accuracy is final". The interplay between these two factors, speed and accuracy, is one reality we must always recognize, the faster you go the less accurate you are.

Triggernometry – Seconds That Can Save Your Life

tulianr and kellory like this.
  2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have to comment that although the premise has it's strong points, there are no absolutes when it comes to reaction time, speed, and accuracy and having been both a competitive shooter in USPSA ,IDPA, and cowboy action shooting as well as having had to use a firearm to defend my life and the lives of others, can only say that practice will improve both speed and accuracy and a lot of practical practice will improve both speed and accuracy a lot! This doesn't necessarily mean that it will decide the outcome of a gun battle but it will definitely improve the odds. The folks I shoot with regularly are so much more adept at weapons manipulations, reloading, rapid target acquisition and engagement and most of all, accuracy, than most gun owners realize can be had. Many of our club members and top shooters are active military, some Rangers,a civilian weapons instructor for Special Forces, a Marine Recon Gunnery Sargent, several local, State, and Federal officers, and we all play the game for two reasons; the love of our sport and the intense familiarity with our weapons in a fast paced environment that improves speed, accuracy, and ability to reload, while moving through complicated barricades and stages designed to provide optimum use of your firearms handling skills. I guess I get beaten enough regularly by shooters that complete a stage in half the time it takes me with all or most alpha hits to buy into the concept that speed is less accurate.

tulianr likes this.
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Just like athletes there are some with natural talents and some w/o. Those of us w/o have to work harder to achieve some level of competence/skill.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7