Short, basic try it in backyard skills article.

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Legion489, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

A survival training ground is just outside your back door
    Frank Bates
    Today 6:23 AMYou [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hi Douglas,

It’s easy to get out of practice when it comes to outdoor survival techniques. Most of us rarely practice them. But that’s dangerous because when it comes time to execute them for real, we need to be ready. There are at least five outdoor survival activities you should practice on a regular basis.

Click here to find out more.

[​IMG]

From building a shelter and starting a fire to forging for food, cooking outdoors and practicing archery skills, there are many outdoor survival activities we need to be ready to do at a moment’s notice. Check out my latest blog post to learn the best way to practice these techniques in our backyard now before it’s too late. Click here.

To your survival,

Frank Bates

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Fun list of skills to practice. I would also add practice making a trap or snare.
    Plus I have always wanted to learn collecting water. I read you can put baggies on leaves and moisture will gather (could be fiction) or make one of these-
    get-water-4.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Backyard fires of any real size will get a visit by the fire dept, here. (They actually deployed the hose and put out my dad's cook out, about 20 years ago)
    And archery is the same penalties as discharging a firearm in city.
    But yes, there are many other skills that can be practiced in the back yard, such as solar cooking, slingshots practice (which does not break any local laws) knife throwing, candle making, ect.

chelloveck and Oltymer like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As always, check your local regulations. Some places in my memory do not allow anything with assisted throwing techniques like slingshots and atlatles. (Unless it's been changed, Longview Washington used to prohibit anything thrown by other than hand within the town limits.)

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Never in my life, in all the places that I have lived, have I ever thought to check local regulations and rules to do sh!t in my yard. I will carry on ignorant and happily breaking rules and regulations on my property. Thank goodness I do not have crappy nosy neighbors and those that are, have been discouraged.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is always the thing, about neighbors.... It only takes one, to cause you grief, when they take it upon themselves to get into your business...

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

This year, so far, I've taught my grandson to craft, a bamboo fishing spear, a hunting spear, fire by matches, flint & steel and ferro rod/magnesium. All in the back yard!

chelloveck likes this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

upload_2016-7-13_9-59-42.
    upload_2016-7-13_10-0-18.

OMG these deadly projectile projectors would definitely be illegal in that jurisdiction....what are dog owners and their dogs going to do for a little fun exercise???

Sgt Nambu and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Wanna have some fun? Shut off your power on Friday afternoon and don't turn it back on until Monday morning. Don't use tap water or electronic devices either. You'll find holes in your game plan pretty quickly. I do it once a year, unannounced, in different seasons. It really gives us a chance to test things you never think of like sanitation.It has also cut our dependence on frozen food and our freezer and fridge are mainly bare anymore, so loss of power is no big deal anymore, just a minor issue. Even short term practice like this is valuable.

10. Shotgunpapa

Shotgunpapa Monkey

I use to turn my power off every day for a few hours at a time just to save a little money never thought of doing it to train great idea. thanks Tempstar.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. AxesAreBetter
  4. DKR
  5. Motomom34
  6. wideym
  7. OldDude49
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Motomom34
  10. The_Prepared
  11. DKR
  12. Zimmy