Shortwave radio in SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Oltymer, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Video share about shortwave radios.

Brokor and Mountain mama like this.
  2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

He correct about the cheaper SW radios they are only so good and further limited by their antennas.
    Even if you are not a licensed ham and come across a functioning older Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu or Alinco consider picking it up you will be pleased with a basic outside antenna at the reception you will get on AM and SW and they will run off of 12 volts.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Brokor, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Can anyone tell me if this (below) is worth the $45 they are asking for it? There are couple more on that page also...but I don't want to get too expensive as better to get a radio that I can also transmit with so... But, I wouldn't mind something portable but don't think I would go over $130. Either of these worth it or does anyone have a recommendation for a portable shortwave?

Eton Mini Compact AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Black (NGWMINIB) $45
    Amazon.com: Eton Mini Compact AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Black (NGWMINIB): Home Audio & Theater

Eton Field – World Band Radio with Bluetooth $130
    Amazon.com: Eton Field – World Band Radio with Bluetooth: Electronics

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

None of those will do SSB as looks like none have BFOs... Unless you are looking to listen to the few remaining World SW Stations, mostly not what you would need for SHTF...

stg58 likes this.
  5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

And if you listen in on SSB you can at least monitor the ham bands possibly getting unfiltered news.

6. Bandit99

There are a few out there that do SSB but the price is such that might as well purchase something one can transmit on also...below are a few...
    Actually, I wouldn't mind listening to some of the World Service stations...beats the local crap. But, I think I would be disappointed with the cheaper models so...so guess I will save my money. It was just a thought.

Eton Grundig Satellit 750 Ultimate AM/FM Stereo also Receives Shortwave, Aircraft Bands - Black (NGSAT750B) $322
    Amazon.com: Eton Grundig Satellit 750 Ultimate AM/FM Stereo also Receives Shortwave, Aircraft Bands - Black (NGSAT750B): Home Audio & Theater

And, I ran across this one recently that has a lot of good reviews but is not well know...pricy though. $550
    CommRadio CR-1A
    Product Information: CR-1, CR-1a

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

All the Grundigs, Eton and that are made in China - by a single company. TecSun.

The TecSun PL660 is likely the best bang for the buck.

8. Bandit99

Thanks, DKR. I will look at one...

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Funny thing about life . humans tend to take things for granted, the more convenient they are made.
    Most of you can't think back to a time ,distant communications were strictly on paper.
    Post SHTF however that is what it s going to be, till man becomes civilized again.
    Few if any have taken the interest to learn electronics, to begin remanufacturing modern communications, and most, if not all, don't know how to even build a simple land line phone/intercom . what if the radio you've saved, dies?
    To busy to take in interest in knowing how things work, you use every day .
    Cell phones in a faraday box is a joke . there will be no cell sites post any EMP, much less any repeaters for ham radio.
    The only radios alive ,will be this that had been put away in faraday, and at that those that had taken the time currently, to get to know one another "on the air."
    Are you going to trust you security to some one you don't know, simply because they are on a radio. ?

10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

In my book, Tales of the Chernyi, I look at exactly this. In this case, the main story character is a radiotelegraph (or wireless, if you prefer) operator. His main job - sending and receiving radiograms. Telegraph worked in the past, and would work in the future - post disaster. Simple equipment, ease of use.

High speed CW works and works well.

BTPost likes this.
  1. JA40
  2. ED GEiN
  3. Southbound
  4. hitchcock4
  5. SB21
  6. Bandit99
  7. Bandit99
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. BTPost