Should Christians eat Pork?

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by skyking, Jun 21, 2011.

1. skyking

skyking Monkey+

Should Christians eat Pork?
    Leviticus 11:7
    "And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you."

This is always an interesting topic and since it came up on another post I decided to post a few things.Whether you agree or disagree with the dietary instructions in the bible all christians should be careful in my opinion of a "mocking spirit "in regards to this matter.It is in scripture and whether we understand the reason, God had one and a pig then is a pig now.Garbage eaters .
    I must state here and now that I have raised hogs for years and made my own sausage and sold BBQ pork at fairs and festivals and love BLT and cured my own hams and bacon for years so when I adopted these dietary instructions it was with a great struggle and reluctant for a time and now well that was 6 yrs ago and all is well.
    I'm not here to point fingers and judge,just to present some data and articles that support this fact.
    a couple of these may be a stretch but they get your attention

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]PIG & PORK FACTS[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]THE pig or swine is a very popular food item with most Christians. Yet Christians are unaware that the God they profess to believe in had condemned the eating of swine's flesh. The condemnation was based on some very sound biological principles. Here are some facts on pork that prove it to be a very unhealthy food to eat: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. A pig is a real garbage gut. It will eat anything including urine, excrement, dirt, decaying animal flesh, maggots, or decaying vegetables. They will even eat the cancerous growths off other pigs or animals. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. The meat and fat of a pig absorbs toxins like a sponge. Their meat can be 30 times more toxic than beef or venison. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. When eating beef or venison, it takes 8 to 9 hours to digest the meat so what little toxins are in the meat are slowly put into our system and can be filtered by the liver. But when pork is eaten, it takes only 4 hours to digest the meat. We thus get a much higher level of toxins within a shorter time. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. Unlike other mammals, a pig does not sweat or perspire. Perspiration is a means by which toxins are removed from the body. Since a pig does not sweat, the toxins remain within its body and in the meat. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. Pigs and swine are so poisonous that you can hardly kill them with strychnine or other poisons. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. Farmers will often pen up pigs within a rattlesnake nest because the pigs will eat the snakes, and if bitten they will not be harmed by the venom. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. When a pig is butchered, worms and insects take to its flesh sooner and faster than to other animal's flesh. In a few days the swine flesh is full of worms. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. Swine and pigs have over a dozen parasites within them, such as tapeworms, flukes, worms, and trichinae. There is no safe temperature at which pork can be cooked to ensure that all these parasites, their cysts,and eggs will be killed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. Pig meat has twice as much fat as beef. A 3 oz T bone steak contains 8.5 grams of fat; a 3 oz pork chop contains 18 grams of fat. A 3 oz beef rib has 11.1 grams of fat; a 3 oz pork spare rib has 23.2 grams of fat. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. Cows have a complex digestive system, having four stomachs. It thus takes over 24 hours to digest their vegetarian diet causing its food to be purified of toxins. In contrast, the swine's one stomach takes only about 4 hours to digest its foul diet, turning its toxic food into flesh. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. The swine carries about 30 diseases which can be easily passed to humans. This is why God commanded that we are not even to touch their carcase (Leviticus 11: icon_cool. . [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. The trichinae worm of the swine is microscopically small, and once ingested can lodge itself in our intestines, muscles, spinal cord or the brain. This results in the disease trichinosis. The symptoms are sometimes lacking, but when present they are mistaken for other diseases, such as typhoid, arthritis, rheumatism, gastritis, MS, meningitis, gall bladder trouble, or acute alcoholism. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Redball. The pig is so poisonous and filthy, that nature had to prepare him a sewer line or canal running down each leg with an outlet in the bottom of the foot. Out of this hole oozes pus and filth his body cannot pass into its system fast enough. Some of this pus gets into the meat of the pig. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]There are other reasons grounded in biological facts that could be listed to show why pigs and swine should not be eaten. But a true Christian should only need one reason why not to eat this type of food because God prohibited it. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"And the swine, because it divides the hoof, yet does not chew the cud, it is unclean unto you: you shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." - Leviticus 11:7,8; Deuteronomy 14:8 [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Those who say Christ abolished the law condemning pork are motivated by their stomach not Scripture. The problems with pork are biological, and Christ never changed the laws of biology[/FONT]

chelloveck likes this.
  2. beast

beast backwoodsman

the bible was written in a time of much public ignorance
    yes pork is not safe to eat raw or even just partially cooked
    but we have learned and grown beyond that ignorance
    the same as we have grown beyond many other old testament laws
    the bible was not written by god, but men with good intentions
    those laws were made then for a reason
    those reasons are no longer valid
    just like the biblical laws governing slavery
    or do you think we should still be practicing that?

3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Not sure where you got your "facts" but they are rather spurious and un-informed...

· Swine were among the first of all animals to be domesticated
    —around 6,000 years ago. The Chinese were the first to raise wild pigs for food.

·
    The Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto brought the first swine
    to the New World in 1539.

· In the past hogs were fed table scraps and had a reputation for eating just about anything. The meat from hogs fed that way was very high in fat. The hogs would eat corn, grass, clover or even table scraps that would have otherwise have become garbage. The word “hogwash,” meaning something that is worthless, came from this practice.
    · Pork provides protein, B-vitamins and thiamin to our diets. Pork has three times as much thiamin as any other food. Thiamin changes carbohydrates into energy and promotes a healthy appetite.
    · Insulin and about 40 other medicines are made from pigs.
    · Pig heart valves have been used to replace damaged human heart valves.
    · A pig can run a seven-minute mile.
    · People around the world eat more pork than any other meat. In the US it ranks behind beef and poultry.
    · The ancient Chinese were so reluctant to be separated from fresh pork that the departed were sometimes accompanied to the grave with their herd of hogs
    · The saying "living high on the hog" started among enlisted men in the U.S. Army, who received shoulder and leg cuts of pork while officers received the top loin cuts. So "living high on the hog" came to mean living well.
    · Hogs are a source of nearly 40 drugs and pharmaceuticals on the market.
    · Pigs snuggle close to one another and prefer to sleep nose to nose. They dream, much as humans do. In their natural surroundings, pigs spend hours playing, sunbathing, and exploring. People who run animal sanctuaries for farmed animals often report that pigs, like humans, enjoy listening to music, playing with soccer balls, and getting massages.
    · Pigs communicate constantly with one another; more than 20 vocalizations have been identified that pigs use in different situations, from wooing mates to saying, "I'm hungry!"
    · Newborn piglets learn to run to their mothers' voices and to recognize their own names. Mother pigs sing to their young while nursing.
    · According to Professor Donald Broom of the Cambridge University Veterinary School, "[Pigs] have the cognitive ability to be quite sophisticated. Even more so than dogs and certainly [more so than human] 3-year-olds."
    · Pigs appear to have a good sense of direction and have found their way home over great distances. Adult pigs can run at speeds of up to 11 miles an hour.
    · Professor Stanley Curtis of Penn State University has found that pigs can play joystick-controlled video games and are "capable of abstract representation." Dr. Curtis believes that "there is much more going on in terms of thinking and observing by these pigs than we would ever have guessed."
    · Pigs do not "eat like pigs" or "pig out." They prefer to eat slowly and savor their food.
    · Suzanne Held, who studies the cognitive abilities of farmed animals at the University of Bristol's Centre of Behavioural Biology, says that pigs are "really good at remembering where food is located, because in their natural environment food is patchily distributed and it pays to revisit profitable food patches."
    · Pigs are clean animals. If given sufficient space, they will be careful not to soil the area where they sleep or eat. Pigs don't "sweat like pigs"; they are actually unable to sweat. They like to bathe in water or mud to keep cool, and they actually prefer water to mud. One woman developed a shower for her pigs, and they learned to turn it on and off by themselves.
    · In his book The Whole Hog, biologist and Johannesburg Zoo director Lyall Watson writes, "I know of no other animals [who] are more consistently curious, more willing to explore new experiences, more ready to meet the world with open mouthed enthusiasm. Pigs, I have discovered, are incurable optimists and get a big kick out of just being."

Hispeedal2 and beast like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Mmmm--- BACON!!

Waste no resource.

5. skyking

skyking Monkey+

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Acts 10

Acts 10

Peter and Cornelius

1At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, 2a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God. 3 About the ninth hour of the day[a] he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, "Cornelius." 4And he stared at him in terror and said, "What is it, Lord?" And he said to him, "Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God. 5And now send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter. 6He is lodging with one Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the sea." 7When the angel who spoke to him had departed, he called two of his servants and a devout soldier from among those who attended him, 8and having related everything to them, he sent them to Joppa.
    Hence, Peter is being called to "a dog, unclean Gentile" to have his eyes opened to God's larger plan.

Peter’s Vision

9The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13And there came a voice to him: "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." 14But Peter said, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." 15And the voice came to him again a second time, "What God has made clean, do not call common." 16This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.
    17Now while Peter was inwardly perplexed as to what the vision that he had seen might mean, behold, the men who were sent by Cornelius, having made inquiry for Simon’s house, stood at the gate 18and called out to ask whether Simon who was called Peter was lodging there. 19And while Peter was pondering the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Behold, three men are looking for you. 20Rise and go down and accompany them without hesitation, for I have sent them." 21And Peter went down to the men and said, "I am the one you are looking for. What is the reason for your coming?" 22And they said, "Cornelius, a centurion, an upright and God-fearing man, who is well spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, was directed by a holy angel to send for you to come to his house and to hear what you have to say." 23So he invited them in to be his guests.

The next day he rose and went away with them, and some of the brothers from Joppa accompanied him. 24And on the following day they entered Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26But Peter lifted him up, saying, "Stand up; I too am a man." 27And as he talked with him, he went in and found many persons gathered. 28And he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean. 29So when I was sent for, I came without objection. I ask then why you sent for me."

30And Cornelius said, "Four days ago, about this hour, I was praying in my house at the ninth hour,[c] and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing 31and said, 'Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God. 32Send therefore to Joppa and ask for Simon who is called Peter. He is lodging in the house of Simon, a tanner, by the sea.' 33So I sent for you at once, and you have been kind enough to come. Now therefore we are all here in the presence of God to hear all that you have been commanded by the Lord."

Gentiles Hear the Good News

34So Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, 35but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. 36As for the word that he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ ( he is Lord of all), 37you yourselves know what happened throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism that John proclaimed: 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. 39And we are witnesses of all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree, 40but God raised him on the third day and made him to appear, 41 not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. 43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

The Holy Spirit Falls on the Gentiles

44While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. 45And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, 47 "Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" 48And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

skyking likes this.
  7. skyking

skyking Monkey+

Question

Question "Why is it that in Leviticus 18:22, YHWH calls homosexuality an abomination, and yet in Leviticus 11, he calls unclean animals an Abomination too; and yet Christians think that unclean foods are no longer an abomination in the New Testament, yet they still believe that homosexuality is an abomination."

chelloveck likes this.
  8. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Romans 1 is pretty clear:

18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
    24Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

26For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

Falcon15 likes this.
  9. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

If you wish to place yourself under the 'LAW' fine. How ever the law was fufilled upon the death of the SON of GOD. We as believers are under grace, none of us could keep the LAW thus HIS death was needed for the salvation of the world (people). You can choose one or the other but not both.

Falcon15 likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have not comment's about this thread...considering what we eat in Louisiana...

ccc...

Falcon15 likes this.
  11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Well, over the centuries we have learned how to properly cook a hog so the flesh is no longer unclean....

lol

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

The new covenant covers it.

Very nice quotes of scripture above fellas.

Falcon15 likes this.
  13. skyking

skyking Monkey+

just copied the article,I realize a few are a stretch by any means and need to be jumped over
    Here's a kool chart

By Marcus Dunk
    When we tuck into a bacon sandwich, few of us wonder what has happened to the other parts of the pig whose life has been sacrificed so we can enjoy a juicy breakfast.

But one inquisitive writer set out to trace where all the body parts of one porker ended up.
    Christein Meindertsma, 29, said: 'Like most people, I had little idea of what happens to a pig after it leaves the abattoir so I decided to try to find out. I approached a pig farmer friend who agreed let me follow one of his animals.'

article-1217794-06ADC5D7000005DC-565_964x679.
    Identified by its yellow ear tag number, 05049, her pig trail ended with her identifying an incredible 185 different uses to which it was put - from the manufacture of sweets and shampoo, to bread, body lotion, beer and bullets.

Christein said: 'I was shocked when I began to find out just how unusual and varied the different uses for a ordinary pig were. It's almost as if these days, a pig is no longer thought of an animal - more like an industrial raw material with a mind-blowing amount of different uses.'

She found that 4.9lbs of her 16st 3lb pig went to making wine gums, while 4.8lbs went into liquorice. In this process, collagen is taken from the pig and is then converted into gelatine. This finds its way into numerous foodstuffs, where it acts as a gelling agent.

More...

Although not all sweets in the UK contain pork gelatine, many do - including Marks & Spencer's hugely popular and aptly-named Percy Pigs sweets.

It is not only sweets that contain pork gelatine. In some beers, wines and fruit juices, pig gelatine is used to remove the cloudiness from the drink. It works as a clarifying agent by reacting with the tannins in the liquid and absorbing the cloudiness.

Some ice creams, whipped creams, yoghurts and certain butters also contain gelatine, as do certain pet foods. More surprisingly, a number of medicines also contain pig gelatine - everything from painkillers to multivitamins.

Hygiene and beauty products are also made of pig. Fatty acids extracted from the bone fat of pigs are used in shampoos and conditioners to give them their shiny, pearl-like appearance. These acids can also be found in a number of body lotions, foundations and anti-wrinkle creams. Glycerine made from pork fat is also an ingredient in many types of toothpaste.

Christein, from Holland, found that while some companies were reluctant to cooperate in her quest, others claimed that they didn't even realise their products contained elements taken from a pig because of the middle men involved in the complex distribution process.

The confusion is not helped by the fact that it is not clear on products' ingredient labels where they originally came from.

According to the Food Standards Authority, there is no legal obligation for manufacturers to specify whether the gelatine they use is from a pig or another animal. When it is specified, it is often confusingly referred to as Suilline gelatine.

According to Richard Lutwyche - a British pig farmer with more than 60 years experience, chair of the Traditional Breeds Meat Marketing Company and a member of the British Pig Association - the reasons for much of this confusion is due to the industrial-scale of much pig farming.

'In the UK, big commercial farms send their pigs to large abattoirs. The abattoir will find different markets for all the by-products,' he says. 'Everything they can't sell they have to incinerate, so it's in their best interest to sell as much as they can.

'There's an old expression that says: when it comes to pig, you can use everything but the squeal. Over the past 100 years those uses have expanded rapidly.'

Some of the surprising products that can include pig material include photographic film, which uses collagen from pig bones; shoes that use bone glue from pigs to improve the quality of the leather; and certain paints that use bone fat to enhance their glossy properties.

Some makers of cigarettes use haemoglobin from pig's blood in their filters. Apparently this element works as a sort of 'artificial lung' in the cigarette so, they claim, 'harmful reactions take place before the chemicals reach the user'.

And the next time you buy a loaf of bread you would be well advised to read the packaging. Some manufacturers use an ingredient called L-cysteine, which is a protein made from pig or other animal hair and which is used to soften the dough.

A product like Tesco's Plain Tortilla Wraps includes this ingredient. The strangest use for a pig by-product that Christein found was in bullets and explosives. Pig bone gelatine was used to help transport the gunpowder or cordite into the bullet. It is difficult not to be impressed by the sheer versatility of this animal and its parts.

Virtually nothing in a pig goes to waste. The snout from Pig 05049 became a deep-fried dog snack, while pig ears are sometimes used for chemical weapon testing due to their similarity to human tissue.

Tattoo artists even buy sections of pig skin to practise their craft on due to its similarity to human skin, while it is occasionally used with burns patients for the same reason.

Pigs make an enormous contribution to medicine, with insulin, the blood-thinning drug heparin and pig heart valves all vital.

However, for vegetarians, Jews keeping kosher, Muslims and anybody else wishing to avoid pig products, this may not be such good news.

The complex workings of the global food and processing industry have ensured that it is almost impossible to avoid pig altogether.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1DHhYQF7l

14. skyking

skyking Monkey+

"Try skinnin this one Pilgrim"

Like the 45/70 got a Sharps myself

could be part of We zeana's mess Gator ,just a thought

"Try skinnin this one Pilgrim"
    [gun]

There are some that say you should stand still in the face of a hog. Apparently, their sight is bad and would not charge you. I’ve got to say Good Luck with that approach. As for me, I’m running.
    [​IMG]Makes the guy look tiny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --

15. skyking

skyking Monkey+

How did that change the animal ,just the cooking methods changed..

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I've read it is the cooking time which differs.

17. beast

beast backwoodsman

and why should we change the animal
    arent we doing enuff of that already with genetic modifications?
    or should we just add another god given food to monsanto to destroy and make poisonous?

skyking likes this.
  18. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am a big fan of pulled pork BBQ.

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Feed the hog corn for 2 week's...Better tasting meat...

20. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

[drooling]
    You really need to try eastern North Carolina style BBQ...around here we call it a pig picking or a hog happening...Real good eating...[drooling]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7