SHTF 45acp FMJ or JHP?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by survivalmonkey360, Feb 15, 2010.

1. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

that's why I carry a 45, if 13 rounds of 45 fail to correct the situation you're screwed.

2. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Since I reload it is for the most part neither Ball of JHP mine get stuffed with 200gr SWC if it wont feed em with darn near 100% reliability it gets sent to a qualified Smith for ramp and throat work and so far it always seems to work .

Haven't shot any1 with 1 yet but if I have the occassion to I'll be glad to give a detailed report as to how the BG responded to 200 gr of lead in their torso LOL!

3. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

my 1911 will have corbon flying ashtrays, black talon and golden sabre. But given the situation you just described.... I will be using it to fight my way to a rifle ;)

4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I agree with Seawolf1090, 185gr Hornady XTP's are rather inexpensive to buy and easy to load with. My Glocks like them. I like them. I also load and shoot 230gr cast lead (OH yes, in a Glock), 230gr FMJ, and 230gr Rainier Ballistics TMJ's. The Glocks like them all.

As per what Seacowboys said about the 200gr semi-wadcutters, I never got into them yet. I'm still too lazy to buy a SWC bullet seating die, and don't want to squish the nice, cast edges of the bullets on my regular bullet seating die. Someday I'll try them, since SWC are in great abundance in my area (and in multiple calibers) and see if the Glocks like them too.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I picked up three boxes of Federal 230 grain FMJs at Walmart for $17+ a box. Our local Walmart is actually starting to have .45 on the shelves regularly. So I pick up a few here and there.

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

For SHTF get FMJ. You usually don't have to worry about feeding problems and it is a lot cheaper to stock up with. It also has better penetration for zombies and vehicles. A .45 hole into anyone that is causing you a problem will definitely ruin their day!

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

And a .45 FMJ starts out as big as an expanded 9mm JHP! Gotta love it - SIZE really DOES matter... [winkthumb]

8. toddintacoma

toddintacoma Monkey+

I bought my 45acp rounds in bulk they are all fmj.so I guess they'll have to do .

9. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Monkey+++

.45 FMJ does not give you a great deal of real penetrating ability. For penetration and destruction of a target behind auto glass no handgun is reliable. .30 rifle rounds with stoutly constructed bullets are the answer there. That being said... When our department was using .45 Black Talons we had several shooting incidents that ended with through and through penetration and trials. We made a switch to Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot ammo and the over-penetration went away. (As did the trials so far.)

10. RM44

RM44 Monkey+

I use Gold Dots too. At a buck a pop, I don't use them for casual target shooting. When they run out, I won't feel particularly undergunned with my FMJ.

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I never used a SWC seating die? I use my RCBS or Dillon seating dies on hollow-points, round-nose, SWC. and WC with no problems.

12. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

My SHTF handgun projectiles will be what I can cast out of scrounged wheelweights. I have various bullet molds in both .38 and .45 cal. They range anywhere from full wadcutters to FMJ shaped round noses.

One of my main collection hobbies is collecting all manners of reloading equipment, fron antique to modern. One of my main tools that is in my BOB is an original Ideal 310 tool for a 38spl. with a single cavity mold on the end. This tool is over 100 years old, but I use it on a regular basis if I want to cast and reload just 50 rounds. Will post a pic of this old machine later.

13. SemperDoc

SemperDoc Monkey+

I believe it was General "Black Jack" Pershing that suggested the .45 Colt to John Browning. Believe that Pershing was in Haiti, Central America and the .38 revolver was just not penetrating the enemy.
    The .45ACP was invented and since it was a slow mover, would drop an enemy in his tracks, "Dead Right There".
    That's also the reason some units of the Corps today are going away from the Mouse gun, M-9 9mm, and back to the .45ACP.

14. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Didn't know it was Pershing. When we went away from black powder to smokeless, we switched from .45 LC to the .38. I remember being told the tipping point was when we were dealing with the Moro Rebellion in the Phillippines. They're a rather small people, but the new .38 wasn't doing the job. There was plenty of empirical evidence as to the effectiveness of the .45 so we cooked up the .45 ACP. Smaller case but essentially identical ballistics, thanks to smokeless powder and improving metallurgy. Pershing was there, so it makes sense.

I'm content with FMJ. It's cheap (sort of) feeds well and a properly placed pair will end most disputes. For those persistent pests, there's the Mozambique.

John Browning. Jeff Cooper. Works for me!

15. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Monkey+++

Just for fun; if you reload try a 255gr Keith style bullet and a generous pouring of Unique. Makes a 45 Colt in a 45 ACP. Wonderful Bowling Pin Load and just a general all-round handy carry load. Feeds well in 1911s and more modern styles. Not sure how it works in Glock. I had to carry a 21 for years and shoot it tolerably well. It's just that I can afford all metal guns for my own use. No tupperware tacticals here. They make replacement barrels for those of you who are enamored with plastic pistols that allow cast bullet use. These don't have the polygonal rifling.

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, the Moro Rebellion is the classic story. Seems those little people tended to go into battle drugged up, rather like the Somalies and Mideast Tangos today. So even if the small-caliber wound is ultimately fatal, they don't feel it and continue coming and fighting til they finally run out of steam and blood. Bigger lead drops them faster. Knock him off his feet, he ain't getting back up! [gun]

17. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

The first one is hard ball, to get it rolling, then hydra shock, then Aguila IQ, hydra shock, Aguila IQ.

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

According to G.Gordon Liddy what made the Moros so tough to bring down was the fact that prior to battle they had wet leather wrapped around their testicles, that when dried made them very terrifying, very frantic, very lethal, and very hard to bring down.

19. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I went to Cabela's and got some Berry's 200 gr Hollow points, and got to thinking about something different along the lines of Corbon ammo.
    I took a #2 Phillips and lightly struck a cross indention on the tips, then pressed a copper coated steel BB into them and loaded them. I'm hoping the cross and the steel BB will make it really blossom on impact. I'll try them on a weathered stump, and dig them out. I'll try to post some Pics.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I have seen wounds from a half jacketed hollow point in .45 ACP.
    About all I can say is: GOOD LORD!
    Messy, and beyond effective....devastating is about the best word that describes the impact area.
    I'd have to say it appears "to have been a sledge hammer mounted to the front of a semi tractor doing somewhere in the range of 900 mph...."
    It aint pretty!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7