SHTF firearm suggestions!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by moldyfan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

False. My everyday carbine hasn't been cleaned in well over 1K rounds and one year.... it just gets a squirt of lube every now and then. Takes about, oh, 1.5 seconds to apply the lube.

That clean-it-until-the-finish-is-gone stuff is remnants of the 1980s peace time army.

Look up the BCM Filthy 14 for more reliable data on how much an AR platform can take when built properly and with the right part specifications.

(Note: I am also a piston [SCAR H and L] owner. The DI system is in no way inferior. The repeated misconceptions and out right lies have made the platform less reliable- one being less or no lube is better. When run properly, not even cleanly, the AR is every bit as reliable as any other platform. That comes from 27 months of combat operations in the desert and years of training in every environment from woodlands to rainforest.)

STANGF150 likes this.
  2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

They don't need cleaned that often. A bud ran 1200 rounds through a RRA before he cleaned it with no malfunctions. I've put 500 rounds through my DPMS with zero malfunctions.

As the M16 and it's children haven't lost a war or conflict one could obviously do a lots worse.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Went over 750 rounds (in one day) thru my Fulton before cleaning, in fact it didn't need it then. (But it wanted some lube. Since then, I find it likes to run wet.

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I like to run wet :)

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The M16 had a difficult birth; but so did the AK. The first Model was stamped with a lot of problems including blowing up; the next model was milled which worked. In 1959, Russians introduced the AKM or AK Modernized.

LSA the original little dab will do ya. lol

Sapper John likes this.
  6. Cant go wrong with a .22LR and a AR variant.

7. moldyfan

moldyfan Monkey+

Which manufacturer brand is the best for the ar 15?

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Ah, THAT is a matter of Personal Opinion. LoL

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

10. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

There's enough there to do the job.

11. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

There is plenty enough there to do the job, not mention the psychology of being hit from a distance that most people can't see. Add in a little camo and signature reduction... its scary on that receiving end.

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

More than a little camo.

The TAC 30's 4x and reticle type are a compromise at 600 with a 10x the group would have been smaller or very scary on the receiving end.

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

The one you build yourself with quality parts. That way you know how stuff assembles and disassembles, fit and function.

JMHO.

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  14. bassic

bassic Monkey+

For an accurate long-range rifle, consider a K-31. Good for up to a mile, open sights, look for the YouTube clip, pretty impressive. Not the most common round, 7.5x55, but it's roughly equivalent to a .308, spewing a 174gr chunk of metal downrange at 2640 fps. It is a rather unique bolt-action, as it has a toggle handle that is straight-pull. Very quick to cycle. It has been around since 1899 as the standard Swiss Army rifle in only 3 different models.

Another good long-range, inexpensive rifle is the venerable Mosin-Nagant. It eats 7.62x54R,and was the standard Russian sniper and infantry issue from the 1890s until after WWII.

Some people I know swear by the Enfield, but I would prefer a Mauser in 8mm over the .303 British.

Of course, nothing is a better all-around battle rifle than the M-1 in .308...

15. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

I dunno guys. I'll admit that I've definitely never shot anyone at 600+ with the 5.56.

But . . well . . . I think it depends a LOT on the ammo. Some of that stuff; I'm thinking you may be able to catch it in your hand at 600 yards with a good heavy leather glove ( [footinmouth] )

5.56 NATO ballistics & frag chart - Not 56k friendly!

I'm thinking - and this ain't nothing but opinion (too):

.308 minimum out to maybe 800.
    30-06 minimum out to maybe 1200
    .338 Lupta minimum out to maybe 1600
    .50 BMG out to 2000-2200
    .408 Cheytac out to 2500

Well, you know, unless you have time to shoot several rounds and your target is standing butt-nekked out in the middle of an open field. (y)

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I've shot empty dry wall buckets with 5.56 at 600+ with a 10X. Although they don't puff as much white as they do when hit by 308 or 300w etc. I do know coyote hunters claim kills at 300-500 so YMMV catching them.

It depends more on the person doing the shooting.

It is more getting a shot and being capable of making the shot than how far the gun shoots accurately or what caliber. Plus the conditions must be right; field shooting is very different than range shooting.

Now some people take being capable to an extreme

That was one seriously fantastic shooting.

Snipers are known to take ranging shots; then they wait or come back. ;)

The whole idea was he hit a target at 630 yards 9 times out of 9 shots with a 4X without a wind flag in sight; most people can't do that with a target twice the size and a 10X.

17. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Coyotes in these parts are very common. They are well fed and have plenty of cover. It was bad enough to loose my favorite sport of shooting woodchucks out of holes in the pasture thanks to coyotes eating them all. Now they are getting ducks, turkey, and chickens. They are spooking the horses and cows too. Running from the yotes in the dark in a fenced pasture is pretty dangerous for the animals.
    So, why is that relevant?
    Well, back when we had plenty of woodchucks to shoot, we got pretty handy at shooting them at 300-400 yards with 22" and 24" barreled flat top uppers with quality glass on top. We would use 68gr Sierra BTHP bullets with Varget powder and CCI primers.
    So, now we have plenty of coyotes to shoot at. If we go to the top of the hill we have up to a 475 yard open shot to drop yotes in. The overall picture from the top of the hill looks like you are at the top of a funnel.
    We continually shoot and kill yotes at some pretty good yardage.
    Coyotes and woodchuck have very dense and tough hides and bones. Doing some of the damage I have seen on these animals, I would have to say a well placed 5.56mm round is lethal at 600 yards. Besides, who in their right mind would keep advancing on you if you are hitting them at 600+ yards? You think they will want to stick around to see if you have something with a little more nuts to it?

NVBeav and BTPost like this.
  18. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

We need to be PC, not gun nut, it's "Firearm Enthusiast"!!! :rolleyes:;):D

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As it earned us the privilege of hunting small game on their farms; I shot a lot of ground hogs for years. :D

22CFs are right accurate; but with wind more weight, better ballistics and more speed fight wind better a lot better. I live the mountains where the wind can be complex.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7