SHTF gun selections

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by cool hand luke, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I can neither confirm or deny that a few feathered friends have been laid to rest beneath my bird feeder with a Crossman 1377 utilizing regular old wadcutter pellets. Head shots are quite easy and accuracy is repeatable. The best news is the size. Kind of between a rifle and pistol. Pumpable.

Lt_Cav_Sabre likes this.
  2. cool hand luke

cool hand luke Monkey+

should have explained myself

I found out that being cheap for me means doing a ton of research and buying the correct thing the first time, instead of buying somehting that is OK, but will eventually want to replace.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  3. DTADO

DTADO Monkey+

I personally think that you're on the right track, Luke. The XDm is a great weapon. From the interchangeable backstraps to the ridiculously large ammo capacity, I think it is a great choice for a handgun. I carry a Glock 19 as per the requirements of my agency, and though I am found of Glocks trigger reset function, I would do anything to carry an XDm .40. As far as your other weapon choices go, the Bushmaster is great go-to gun. AR modification options are enough to make you dizzy, but if it were my choice, I'd ditch the red dot and shell out for a Trijicon ACOG. The only .22lr rifle i've ever fired extensively is an old Winchester pump-action model 06 that my grandfather had given me. One hundred years old and the action is still as smooth as the day it left the factory. It's my squirrel gun. You might also want to consider getting yourself high and low caliber revolvers. Might i suggest Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull and S&W airweight in .38 special?

Catullus likes this.
  4. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Sell the Savage or trade it in on a DPMS AR-10. Add a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol. Keep the rest.
    I got a 5 inch group the other day with my Buckmark at 100 yds.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Don't sell the Savage, just buy the AR-10 when you can afford it. My reasoning is that the Savage is legal to hunt with, where the AR-10 may or may not be depending on your state. Actually, the Savage or the AR-10 are both legal to hunt wild boar here, but not deer, go figure! Anyway, the Savage Mod 12 is a good place to pick up where the .223 leaves off and you may not need the rate of fire you would closer in. JMO! FWIW!

Here is where I say, a huge YES to the Buckmark over any other .22 handgun as long as you stick with normal or HV LR ammo. Mine doesn't do those sniper rounds or shorts anymore than the first shot, repeat shots require manual working the slide. However, with regular LR ammo, it shoots better than I can. You'll run into the same shortfalls with any semi-auto rifle using other than regular LR ammo, whereas, a .22 revolver, you can shoot shorts etc, same with a bolt action rifle, SO, if you want to short cbs or shorts in a rifle you need a bolt gun to do it right. That is pretty much the long and the short of ammo in the .22 rifle and handgun. I love my 10/22, but it is not as versatile as my bolt action rifle nor is my Buckmark as versatile as my S&W revolver.

6. cool hand luke

cool hand luke Monkey+

I'm actually bidding on several large caliber handguns right now, there is a local auction house selling a huge personal collection. He seemed to love big revolvers. Wish I had that much money

Assiter Auctioneers

7. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Lt_Cav_Sabre and DTADO like this.
  8. DTADO

DTADO Monkey+

Well put, Legion.

9. 1gewehr

1gewehr Monkey+

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest a manually-operated .22 rifle. If you are really thinking SHTF, then the ability to use ANY .22 ammunition you can find has to be a benefit. And firing .22 shorts from a rifle barrel is about as quiet as using a suppressor or pellet rifle.

Lt_Cav_Sabre and RKBA2USA like this.
  10. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Look I have been around for quite a litte while , and though I don't agree with Broker on every little thing I happen to know the man knows quite a bit about firearms. He was actually defending the 10/22 not berate it. Get it right Newbie. If there is one thing you need to learn about this website, Walk carefully when you first join, cause there are many here to help you when you need it but if one of own is attacked, we come running.........So walk softly youngster, and learn something before you spout off................This is just friendly advice......

11. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Disciple, I sent you a PM. This is a thread about SHIF guns, not to make threats to people in public. Let's keep it on topic.

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

And they talk about women nitpicking......Let's all cool our jets.

State your opinion, back it up with a factual argument, and when all else fails, agree to disagree.

There is no reason for anyone to get hot under the collar. If someone has a differing opinion, certainly jump in with facts that might dispute that opinion but we can all respond in the spirit of debate.

Now, as you were (just a little less virile in your responses)

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[wannamesswitme] To add a little levity to the thread, ghrit just asked me it I meant "viral" instead of "virile." I actually meant virile - as in chest beating - but viral works as well [lolol]

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Errm... rubber bands... thumbtack... block of wood... duct tape...and a radio antenna... assemble and fire... hey the price is right...

Back on topic... each type of .22 rifle has positives and negatives depending on the situation you use it in... any semi auto with a removable magazine will require additional magazines in case you damage the one you have... single shots take more time to get a second shot off...bolt guns take longer to get back on target for new users the same goes for lever action weapons.... it's harder to use pump in the prone position..the secret is practice with your weapon of choice... survival is an art not a science... to each their own... what works for me in the southeast may not work in northwest or the southwest... contraty to popular belief there in no right answer.. if it works for you it's a great selection..

IMHO...It's true semi autos don't normally use cb caps,shorts, longs, and long rifles... but they seem to cost than .22 long rifles... they also break down faster and in my experience are more susceptable to dampness/missfires as they are not sealed as well... i don't worry about using them... subsonic .22 lr's are about the same cost as shorts and cb caps in wally world...

I have a battery of .22 rifles 3 of which are 10/22's a few pumps, and tube fed autos that will shoot mixxed rounds... and 2 bolts... they were comparatively cheap compared to my other weapons... so i bougth more than one... i reccommed the same of any prepper... after all 2 is 1 and 1 is none...

15. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

When you're talking about SHTF guns or the best survival gun, self defense weapon etc. all you are going to get are opinions. And opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one.

You'll find many here at the monkey.;)

ColtCarbine likes this.
  16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am always amused with these threads about a conceptual weapon for a conceptual scerario and all the experts that spring out of the woodwork with their tactical wheelbarrow's loaded with stuff. Here's my nomination:
    bigras.

beast, IR192, Mountainman and 3 others like this.
  17. Lt_Cav_Sabre

Lt_Cav_Sabre Monkey+

@ GreenTeaBlend... thanks for your comment !
    Beeman, Crossman even Daisy all make decent pellet guns ( if you want to go a bit overboard find an Anschutz ) . I would focus on a single shot that you pump yourself versus one that runs on green gas or has an external tank (less moving parts). With pumping yourself you can control the fps. .177 is easier to find than .22, also it should be able to shoot both bb's and pellets. My old Crossman ( from the 80's it was my brothers ) will put a bb through both sides of an empty soup can, sometimes not even knocking it over :)

A Pellet rifle is good for introducing the youngsters to shooting and can make a fun in or outdoor activity... you and the kids shooting targets in the basement ( or back yard ).

Cheers,
    Lt_Cav_Sabre

18. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Welcome Lt. I've got a daisy 1000 single pump with scope. It will take out medium size critters at 50yds, and is cheap and quiet. I use it to keep my shooting skills sharp.

Also, to the new Guys, It pays to listen, and get a feel for the members, before you make judgements. There are alot of very sharp people on this site.
    Just my 2cents.

IR192 and Lt_Cav_Sabre like this.
  19. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Pays to Seek Out Experienced Opinions

Previous poster is right.

Don't take offense easily; there are some excellent opinions based on a great deal of experience.

Your choices of which purchases (and some of them are likely to be expensive) to make will be enhanced by remaining open to a variety of suggestions.

20. zygote

zygote Monkey+

Cool Hand Luke
    I too am a cheap nerd with the added bonus of being poor.
    I've been looking at .22 rifles and have personally decided that I will be purchasing a 10/22 this year. My decision was based on it's track record and that I prefer a semi-auto, but something else that played a part was that there are so many of them out there that in the unlikely event that something happens to my rifle I feel that I'll be more likely to be able to find replacement parts for it should I need to while on the move.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7