SHTF gun selections

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by cool hand luke, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bad_karma00

bad_karma00 Monkey+

I recently traded for a new Ruger 10/22, but it's my second. I have another that I have owned for what seems like 20 years, give or take. I have put literally thousands of rounds through it in that time, and have never had a FTF that wasn't ammunition related.

I also have a Ruger MKII pistol. Very accurate, and with a 6 7/8" barrel and optional scope mount could (and has been) used to add meat to the supper table.

One poster mentioned the Buckmark by Browning. My father has one, and I have shot it many times. I agree it's a great choice. accurate and dependable, if a little tricky at times, lol.

The important thing is to make sure the gun fits YOU. Don't try to fit yourself to the gun. Buy a quality firearm that feels good in your hands, and learn everything there is to know about it. I know people who have very large collections, and know next to nothing about most of them. I've never figured that out. Find what works for you, and stick to it.

It sounds like, with what you listed, that you're on the right track. Good luck, and good shooting!

2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I just added a new Stag arms AR-15 to my selection. It is equipped with a Burris tactical scope that has a black circle crosshair when its off or has a dead battery and both green and red when turned on. Very nice. All Magpul furniture and a 16 inch barrel. I cant wait to get it sighted in. I used to have an older Bushmaster that I sold. When I sold that one I didnt think I needed .223 BUT HAVE SINCE CHANGED MY MIND. I also added a 28 inch barrel for my 870 20 gauge for Ducks and Geese. So now we have 5 calibers. I sold off our single shot .410 and 32 special Winchester mod. 94. I am looking for a second Ruger P-89 hand gun and one more 20 gauge 870 for my wife. Once we have those we wioll be done buying guns. Kingfish

3. radpug

radpug Monkey+

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

My latest additions were a FEG folder in 7.62x39 and a BR barrel for a long action who looks funny without a barrel. Considering a 284AI.
    Apparently the FEG was too much fun because she seems to have confiscated it.
    I buy firearms because we enjoy them; the "toys" have nothing to do with prepping; just us having fun.

5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well the cost of 30-06 was the biggest reason and accuracy was the second. This rifle is very accurate as we found out today shooting just cheap Eagle ammo 55 grain fmj. Held almost a 2 inch group at 100 yards. The burris optics really put the dot on the spot you want to hit. The rifle is a war rifle and we might just be heading for the kind of unrest that tells me I need a war rifle. Also My wife got out and shot a 3 inch group with it as well. Now she wants one of her own ha ha ha . I had a .223 before and liked it but decided I didnt want a modern battle rifle so I sold it and almost bought a Garrand. Then I went out to training and saw some great shooting by some of the boys with their ARS. Common caliber is important in the Militia. So we went out and got another one. This time its not going to get sold. Kingfish

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Stag makes a pretty good carbine. I have used their parts / uppers for various builds over the years and they always had decent quality. Certain standards shouldn't be skimped on- for instance chrome lined barrels. Stag has always made those standard. 5.56 chambers, Mil-Spec diameter receiver extensions are just a few more of those details.

7. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

Hey this is my first post here on a subject that i love guns. I'll give a small introductory of myself then my opinions on guns that i believe will be great in SHTF situations.

I am 24 years old and live in NW Florida. I have a wife and a 3 year old daughter. I grew up in the country hunting, fishing, camping, diving(certified), and canoeing/boating. I generally love the great outdoors and everything to do with it.

Now back on topic. I will not list all my guns just guns i would consider in SHTF situations. I own several guns and i do enjoy all them and love each and everyone as if they were my children, even though i do trade guns to get other guns i want.

As far as rimfire guns I have 3 rifles i would consider in SHTF. They are a ruger 10/22, a remington 597, and a henry golden boy lever action. I would also take my CMMG 22 conversion for my ars as well.

As for rimfire pistols i would take my ruger single 6 22lr/22mag revolver and my ruger automatic.

As for pistol calibers i chose a few months back to cut back on the variety of calibers i have.
    My main sidearm would be my Beretta px4 storm compact 9mm, the reason i choose this gun for my side arm is I have a Beretta cx4 storm that takes the same mags. I wanted a pistol/rifle combo that could use same ammo and mags, plus the beretta cx4 is the closest thing to a sbr i have(the way it is setup the barrel sits back in stock a ways so gives the appearance of only have a 7 or 8 inch barrel).
    My wife would carry my sig p250 in 9mm. She is very accurate with this gun and efficient.
    Wheel guns I would also carry my ruger super redhawk 44 mag with simmons pro hunter 4x scope on it, and my Taurus 85 ultra lite 38 special (+p) with ported barrel. The reason for these pistols are reliability. The 44 mag will drop any animal here in florida, or person for that matter at ranges i would have to shoot. My BOL is wooded and you probably would never need to shoot past 150 yards.

Now as far as long guns it gets kinda tricky. I have the belief that i will leave no family behind(remember earlier i said my guns are like my kids, i mean you have to feed them and take care of them right??). I have several different setups. I will start with ars first.

ARs. I have many ars. Each one has a different purpose. I will start off with my tacticool one i would choose. I am constantly switching lowers and stocks on all my ars so i want really get into details on the stocks and stuff(just keep in mind that all my ars are sporting one type or another of magpul stocks on them). It is a stag complete upper (556). I have added a quad rail to it, that has a mako vertical grip/bipod, magpul one point sling mount, eotech 512, and a Daniel Defense BUIS that does co-witness the bottom 1/3 of my eotech. It is sighted in at 50 yards. In all reality this gun could do anything i need it to in Florida but i would bring more.
    My second choice of ars would be my PSA 6.8spc with an 18" wilson combat barrel with YHM flash hider and Troy extreme free float hand guard. This gun is topped with a burris P.E.P.R. scope mount with a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 scope, i also have a gen1 ATN night vision scope for this that i trade out depending on what i am doing(nothing illegal i assure you).
    I am building an ar pistol right now and it will be complete this friday that would be for CQC along with my beretta if need be. It is a PSA upper, bcg, lower, lpk, magpul grip, wilson 11.5" barrel. It will be topped with an eotech xps2 and a Daniel Defense BUIS(with co-witness of course).
    Now for the hardcore old school people i have a marlin 30-30 with a lyman peep sight(the lyman peep sight that has windage and elevation adjustment) on it for the heavy brush situations. I grew up hunting with a 30/30 and have killed plenty of deer with it. I feel that 30/30 ammo is probably some of the most common in the USA to come across so naturally i added it to my "take with me" list.

Now for the shotgun section of the long guns. I have a mossberg 500 with extended tube that holds 7 plus 1 with a knoxx spec ops stock on it, with a light integrated in with pump/hand guard. This one will be primarily for defensive situations. I also would take my mossberg HS 410(HS=home security). It is for my wife. She is very recoil sensitive due to bad shoulders. I would also take my mossberg 835 with 28" barrel for hunting or a little longer range defensive needs.

I know this is a lot that i would want to carry with me but it is what i would try to carry with me. If i had to cut list will take 556 ar, all pistols mentioned, 30/30, mossberg 835, 10/22, and henry 22. That would cover all my basis and give me good options for my area.

8. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I believe CZ makes both. I've heard good things about them, but I've never fired them. IIRC the CZ bolt model# is 452?

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

10. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

About the 7.62x39 single shot. I have heard that NEF was going to chamber the Handi-rifle for this round. i have owned several and for teh weight and portability, they are shooters. Have a couple barrels in specific calibers (a rimfire or shotgun barrel for meat, a longer ranged midsized bore for bigger game) and carry one receiver and the barrels to lighten your load. Broken down, the handi-rifle can fit in some packs, leaving you free to carry a defense/hunting firearm.

I cannot see carrying several long guns and ammo for too many calibers in a bug out situation. Depending on the emergency, you may only need a meat gun and possible self defense scenarios. A shotgun with a variety of ammo covers a lot of situations. an AR with open or CQB sights can take meat and be used against predators (two and four legged) out to reasonable distances. Too many specialized firearms may mean you are holding the wrong one at the wrong time. KISS

11. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

Huntinbull you are correct. I have been searching for the perfect ar build for me that has a long sight radius, with light weight barrel. Basically a dissipator barrel. Well i found this one and ordered it last night. For what it is it is to good to pass up. I would like this one to be my main go to gun for any kind of SHTF scenario. I may get a scope mount for it later for longer range shots but i would keep it off mainly for weight and want it to be just iron sights. No batteries.

Spikes Tactical 16" Mid-Length GMP 5.56/.223 Upper

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I agree on the versatility of a shotgun but ammo is way too heavy. In Michigan where I live a .22 is all I need for everything from squirrels to deer and humans. Ill not be bugging out though so the one gun thing wont come into play. Our new Stag Arms AR-15 is very accurate but I cant see shooting small game with a any centerfire. I have carried 30-06 in my ammo pouches in 10 round magazines and 120 rounds is very heavy. In Lower Michigan the unltimate bug out rifle is a .22 rimfire followed closely by the .223 then probably a 20 gauge shotgun. We decided that leaving our BOL is not an option. Kingfish

13. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

VisuTrac and radpug like this.
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If I was going to do something more serious; ARs/AKs with a few 7.62N FALs as the "heavies."

15. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Who's your Daddy?

A Springfield M1-A will show 'em who their Daddy is and walk the dog...just say'in...[bow]

16. Sapper John

Who left the back door unlocked? aintit...listening to you is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end...it can be done but who wants to do it?...

Gator 45/70, Cephus and VisuTrac like this.
  17. Sapper John

You are so right gunkid...I will apologies if you pinkie promise to buy each of us an M4 with the .22 cal adapter kit....Oh my bad...I forgot...those convicted of felonies cannot purchase or own or possess firearms...have you checked in with your parole officer lately?(y)

VisuTrac likes this.
  18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

So which books and what movies formed your perception of the truth?

Or was it your gaming experience which brought out the warrior?

:D

19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have to say that Gun kid though arrogant and banned is not a fool by any means and we ALL should acknowledge that. What he says about the .223 and .22 ARE VERY ACCURATE. I agree with him about trying to carry heavy ammo like 30-06 and shotgun shells,also the sound signature of a .22 versus any other gun.

I just had a three hour talk with A Michigan D.N.R. man about everything from illegal bass fishing on my lake to violating deer with .22 rifles. His take on the .22 IS that it is the number one choice of deer poachers 1000 to one. His guys find hundreds of deer carcasses every year with single .22 holes in the heads between the eyes. They have done several studies on the heads to see how fast these deer are dying. They shoot at night under spot lights and hose eyes light up like little targets. Hollow point bullets penetrate the skull and explode into the brain with very devastating results. Most deer drop in their tracks and die in seconds.

I can see where Gun kid gets into trouble as he is confrontational as all get out but hes not stupid. Dont underestimate him because you dislike him. I find him to be to sure of himself but some people are like that. He should try and get along with people better. He still has much to learn as we all do. Kingfish

20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

For gun kid, I know you are reading this so take note of something.

I have a .22 bolt gun that is more accurate then any converted .223. My .223 AR-15 is my main battle rifle. I train with it and dont need any other rifle when Im on patrol or expecting trouble. If Im hunting and run into trouble my bolt action .22 will get me back to my AR-15 . The AR Platform is not the best hunting platform period! Ill out shoot anyone inside 100 yards with my bolt gun against their .22 ar conversion kit any time anywhere. I shoot a Marlin 981t WHICH has been called one of the most accurate .22 rimfire rifles ever produced. With CCI cb longs it is a small game killing machine. It needs no suppressor as it already is as quiet as a pellet gun. I have trained using my Ruger 10-22, my 30-06 Remington 7400, and my Ar-15. The AR is the best all around rifle for war I have ever carried. NOT because it is the best killing rifle made but because I can carry three times the ammo as a .308,30-06 or any other larger round. It has to be accurate to make it work and they are. Your account of 1 inch MOA is only achieved with match grade ammo and the longer barrels. Been there done that. I dont need more then the 16 inch barrel for a fight. Its light its fast and it kills. Im 53 and experienced. You come here spouting off? you are preaching to the choir . This group is not stupid. Kingfish

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7