SHTF gun selections

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by cool hand luke, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Gun Kid is also right about this part of his statement.... as he has spammed it all over the internet Ad Naseum.... as to it's accuracy that has yet to be validated

2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Most of you know Im a member of one of the Michigan Militia units. West Michigan volunteers. We have tried several of the .22 rimfire conversions and they are both problematic and not as accurate as a complete upper and barrel. I have already out shot several with a bolt action Marlin. He makes a good case if you are on the run have only room for one weapon and have no resupply.
    I go him one better, Ill leave the AR HOME AND JUST TAKE THE .22 . Ill stay in cover and only engage at 50 yards and snipe head shots and fall back. But this is all hypothetical. Too many people blend battle with survival. You know what I mean? If Im going to go fight Im taking my AR-15. If Im defending my land Im using all of them 30-06, shotguns, ar, even my handguns could get use.

But If I am going out to harvest food in a post apocalyptic world where people have died off and I am still alive Im using that Marlin .22 while my wife waits at home guarding the land with her AR-15. Ill talk to her on my Cobra radio. My son may be with me and he will also carry a .22.

He has a good idea but why carry those .223 when you can carry 500 more .22? With resupply? carry what ever you want. end of world, walking aimlessly ,no resupply? .22 IS the only gun Ill carry. Kf

VisuTrac likes this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I hear you KF.

It's all about situation. The .22LR is an excellent weapon for putting food on the table inexpensively and relatively quietly. From a squirrel to that 300 pound pig in the barn yard and anything in between.

What gunkid espouses is just about killing the roving hoard, rabid dogs and such. I seriously doubt that anyone here is in the GK Kamp.

As you mentioned you have different tools for particular jobs.

For myself living in hilly, treed , swampy with patchwork farm fields:

I do not plan on initiating a fire fight. If I need to initiate a fight, It will be on my terms.

I'd prefer to be unnoticed and slip away.

If someone intends on bringing it to me I hope to be prepared with enough weapons and tactics to overcome the threat.

I do not intend to pursue an enemy if they have broken off contact unless they are at my AO and feel that they will return based on their losses or tenacity of original assault. (their intentions)

I will not pursue an enemy into an area that i am unfamiliar with. I will run away to fight another day.

Revolver/Pistol Always carry.

If i were in Detroit or one of its close in suburbs and I had to get home, I'd want to carry a pistol version of an AK or AR with large capacity mags and maybe a SBS like the Serbu. I'd actually hope to have someone else with me as an extra pair of eyes and for defense and they could be armed with a carbine with high capacity mags.

If i were outside the wire at BOL gathering food. I'd probably want a .22lr for dispatching game. For protection I'd carry the 12 Gauge shotgun if i was hunting in the swamp. In the farm field it would be the AR Rifle/Carbine. In the wood lot it's kind of a toss up between the shotgun/AR R/C depends if I'm in the mature part vs. the new growth.

If i were at the BOL standing guard during the daylight, it's the AR Rifle or other long gun (insert your favorite long range weapon here). Night time probably the 12 gauge loaded with buckshot and pistol platform AR/AK.

Working around the farm while not on GD. Pistol Platform AR/AK

Outside the wire on close patrol, AR rifle/carbine (insert your favorite Semiauto carbine here).

Same for Long Range Recon except someone needs to have an Ameritech Weapon (reachout and touch someone)

Outside the wire on recovery mission or meetup. Armed to the teeth with large capacity SA weapons, bolt gun, etc.

So if you are in the city,suburbs,extraburbs or rural. Your weapons of choice are going to be dictated by your AO and or current situation (ie travelling to your BOL). Everyone's weapons are going to be different, no one weapon fits all.

Except for GK, it's just a suppressed AR, Kill them all and let God sort them out later. His advise will get a lot of people killed if they feel it's gospel.

That's my take on SHTF weapons selection for my AO.

What would others use in their AOs.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

GK is so focused on being lightweight and soundless he missed the "mission." I'm a prepper which means I have more supplies than I can carry; therefore, I'm not going for a nature walk.

I'm forced to defend my preps or walk away. Not being able to walk away is where the 7.62N fireballs with an AK/AR on either side adding even more loud noises and fireballs will prove to be very useful.
    Hopefully, heavy firepower from dug in positions will be convincing and luckily, my neighbor has a Kubota to do the digging.

GK tried to pick out the "gear" without knowing the "mission." Then he goes on a rant when anyone says as I have too much to carry I'm not heading out on a nature walk.
    Often when in a defensive posture; heavy firepower is a lot more convincing than silence and lightweight.

AFA, hunting I have 22s and an adult precision air rifle or "springer" which damages even less "meat."

5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Agreed, Gk goes into that one size fits all and Im not going to buy into that either. I have always said that where you are on the planet determines what you need. Perfect example. Im stranded on a desert Island surrounded by ocean. Do I want a silenced .223 or Berkley Fishing rod and some bait.;)

I also am bugged in. Defense of my property means I have resupply at hand so Ill use my 30-06 rifles, my Ar, my shotguns or my pistols and cross bow. Our defense perimeter is a series of deer blind constructed of sand bags and treated deck wood. We have radio com, game cameras attached to a lap top for intel and several motion detectors. I think the biggest thing we did right was to install hundreds of really nasty thorn trees all over the approach areas in the woods. This will force most (not all) but most intruders into two predictable shooting lanes or killing fields. If things ever get bad enough to where Gunkid's scenario of total loss of rule of law? Ill go even further and employ hundreds of horrible booby traps using nail boards and 4 inch spikes. Also a man can do lot of things with a 12 gauge shotgun shell and its Buckshot. I have thought about using them like mini claymores. Again all this speculation though,its knowledge in ones head that will decide if he lives or dies. So my message to Gun Kid and others like him educate yourselves on everything. What can I do with black powder, shotgun shells, nails, broken Glass, Thorn trees etc. Just how far can I take that .22 rimfire as my main weapon? How many rounds of .308 can I really carry for 50 miles? 100 miles? What would a .50 caliber Serbu bolt action BMG bullet do for me? Should I have a 4wd bug out buggy? should I raise horses? Food , water, ? shelter?

His Idea of a .223 and .22 CONVERSION is the best way to have two very good survival rounds in one gun but it DOES NOT meet every situation. In fact here in Michigan for Survival I don't need the .223 but I do need the .22 Marlin. If I am joining the war effort to defeat an invading army well? My AR-15 is going to be the only gun I will carry besides a 9mm handgun.

At my age lugging 300 rounds of 30-06 or .308 IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. But if Im manning the base camp Ill be sitting on a bigger rifle then that little 5.56. Count on it. Kingfish

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Here the steep terrain is a friend.

I'd consider adding the ability to illuminate the approach lines you mentioned.

As I said earlier; I am staying here where my food is located. We haven't prepped for nothing so carrying 300 rounds of anything isn't going to happen.

To hunt, a 22rf or deer rifle would work just fine and deer are plentiful here.

Not to pick on GK; but I'd buy the 22 then the 5,56 conversion.

Kingfish and Sapper John like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Kingfish,May i suggest planting tannerite canister's along your firing lane's...
    Packed with nail's,lead shot,ball bearing's..etc.etc...
    Visible only from your position...

Falcon15 likes this.
  8. beast

beast backwoodsman

somewhere, on another site, i posted about making small stationary mortars
    and claymores, neither one is hard to do and make great last stand kickers
    when the sh*t is deepest
    even roman candles can really disrupt an enemys advance and light up his life in ways he wont want...lol

9. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I have posted videos on making home made tannerite, and if you have range cards...talk about a FORCE multiplier.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

HOLY SHNIKES[fnny] That car was gone in a flash.

I have been studying force multipliers for long time. My favorite cheap one is 4 inch nails that have been sharpened to a razor like point. I tested a couple of them a while back just to see how nasty they would be. Once they rust up a little they disappear in the oak leaves and putting 30 or 40 of them through a strip of 3/4 inch treated plywood makes them standup and stick through the leaves. They will go right through a foot. That is how you get those night stalkers. you here them screaming in pain. I dont think enough can be said about 12 gauge shotgun shells and the things you can do with them. I spent a lot of time as kid playing with model rocketry. The igniters which are electric applied to a shotgun shell in place of the primer makes it a mini claymore. Set these things up pre wired in all the approaches to your defenses. The bad guys never even know what killed them. The same can be done with black powder,pipe and buck shot. Mini directional mines set off with electric igniters. Oh those would be IEDS right? All that stuff is simple to make with a little know how.
    I used to build flash pots for an old Rock band I was in. They were single strand wire igniters that were a dead short. We put in gun powder or flash powder which would blind the audience with a big boom and bright flash.

I did a lot of on stage Pyro stuff back in the 80's so I know how to build simple electric igniters and directional charges. But the bottom line is this, dont build any of that stuff now!!!!!!! Just file it away in your mind.

What would be real cool is to get some of those big fireworks as in the mortar types and build a holder so you could aim them . You have dozen Zombies coming at you and you pop a giant starburst right in the middle of them and o_O . Kingfish

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

ccc...I for one would like to see this 12 guage thing that you do...
    Now the mortar firework's..I like those baby's..They will take out any night vision goggles' looking your way...Not to mention that one got away from us last year and penetrated the vinyl siding on the neighbors' house..She was..''mad''to say the least...

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Judging by my friends the raccoons, varmints visit at night to raid and hitting Tannerite containers at night might be challenging.

In Vietnam, Fougasse was used to defend CID-G permanent positions.

14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

It would not be good to post diagrams of how this stuff works. Any guy who reloads Shotgun shells can do it. You have to replace the primer with an electric fuse. One that pops like a primer. A single strand of very fine copper wire dipped in phosferous ( they look like match heads) they are igniters for model rocket engines. hooked to a car battery when you hit the switch the igniter becomes a direct short popping that single wire and igniting the little explosive ball. This will ignite the gunpowder or black powder in the shotgun shell. Use your imagination for the rest. Very short miniature black powder cannons are easy to build. Stuff them with Buck shot. Anything like this can be set off with one of these model rocket igniters. You just bury wires out to each one and wire them into a small panel and hook up to a battery. I wish I could do youtube I would demonstrate how an electric rocket engine igniter works. Here is a link to a site that sells the igniters.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/Model_Rocket_Engines_Igniters

KF

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

The major weakness of irregular anti personnel devices is weather.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Folks, Let us be a bit more circumspect, when describing, the Building, of such devices, here on the Monkey. These forums ARE Goggle Indexed, and you really do NOT want ATF looking into your background, for publishing "Destructive Devices" Manufacturing techniques. This kind of Information needs to be passed via PMs or eMails, rather than here on the Forums. ., as one who has considerable Institutional Knowledge in Energetic Materials Science. YMMV....

Cephus and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

True.

I often wonder about discussing hardening the BOL.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

True enough...and point well made...+1...

Kingfish likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7