SHTF gun whats your ideal gun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by slug36, Mar 2, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have some BP loads in my .45-70 double rifle, I have loaded a bunch of .45LC that I shoot in my single actions and lever rifles. A chronograph is near the top of my wish-list right now. The primer compound that I used was simply crushed strike-anywhere matches made into a paste with alcohol. To reload primers, I use a dental pick to remove the anvil from spent primers, then I take a punch made from a flattened 16D nail to knock out the firing pin indentation. The compound is put in and the anvil replaced. Out of the last 100 I loaded, only a few failed to fire. I have also reloaded .22 rimfire using the same compound and a toothpick to push the paste under the rim. Better than half of them went bang.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler[​IMG]
    Get a smooth, polished finish on rocks, semi-precious stones, glass, even metals! Quiet low-speed tumblers are designed to run for days at a time, ensuring a smooth, lustrous finish.

• Two generous 3 lb. capacity drums
    • Rubber barrels for quieter operation
    Motor: 120 volt, fan cooled, V-belt driven; Overall dimensions: 14-3/4" L x 6-1/2" W x 4-3/4" H
    Tool weight: 7.9 lbs.

ITEM 65840-0VGA

$49.99

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Thanks Seacowboy. You gave me a lot of good ideas to mull over. [winkthumb]

4. myriflemylife

myriflemylife Monkey+

Glock 17, sks, M14 with cases of ammo.

5. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

If I had to choose between my AR and my AK for hitting the road with family in tow, attempting to escape desperate rioters in town and in the hills/mountains, I'd hop on the railroad tracks and head out of town under as much concealment as possible. Each family member with a backpack on, me with the...AR. Both the 7.62x39 and 5.56 cartridge are more than adequate for stopping a man. The reason for the AR is because it's just a pinch under 7lbs and the AK us just a pinch under 10lbs. Then there's the ammo/mags. And another popular factor, which won't matter since any engagement I'd be in would likely be under 100 yards, but between 200-400 yards, the AR in my hands will still stop people in a reliable manner unlike the AK in my hands. AR wins hands down on this topic.

[​IMG]

...and of course the glock 21sf on the hip full of 230grain num-nums!

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Is that a Magpul forend and is the light a Surefire G3?

7. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Yeah, it's the Magpul MOE handguard. I decided against doing the railed handguard with VFG and stuff and wanted to keep it light and lean. However, the ELzetta polymer flashlight mount on the front sight post while very ergonimic, light weight and durable over many hundreds of rounds, is now gone. I put a small 2" aluminum rail on the 10 o'clock position of the handguard and put my big light in it which is the MC-E based Triton by Olight. It's 700 lumens at the emitter and probably upper 550's out the front based on CPF reviews I've read.

But the light in this picture is just a nitrolon G2 surefire with the original plastic head (most people put the more durable metal head on there) and it has the 200 lumen Q5 drop-in I ordered from Deal Extreme for like $13. Surprisingly that flashlight with it's delicate chinese drop-in has stayed put and functional through at least 600 rounds. I just replaced it with my M30 Triton because I live in a very rural area and I want the light to help me ID critters/predators out past 200 yards which that light does very well. The G2 was good to about 100 yards safely.

This is the current configuration.
    [​IMG]

8. jjs72

jjs72 Monkey+

For home defense: What i own.
    Shotgun:Winchester Super X2 Semi auto 12ga.
    Pistol: 357mag Ruger or FNP 45
    SHTF: 308WCF In a remington 700/ stock pillar bedded X trigger. Burris 4.5x14 ballistiplex scope.
    Hunting: 300WM SS Ruger Laminate stock, Burris 4.5x14 ballistiplex scope.
    T/C Encore Pro Hunter, with 243 bergara barrel SS. T/C Custom shop 338wm with muzzle break.
    Saving for a M1A, to add to the family.

9. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Ya, right up until the point when you have to scratch the crud out of the gas key with a dental pick ;)

JUST KIDDING!! - really sorry, just couldn't resist.

10. HotWire

HotWire Monkey+

AR15.
    Noveske16" N4 Light Recce Upper, LaRue lower, with an AAC suppressor, and a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 x 32 Compact.

11. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Tis why they say a "properly maintained AR15" is just as reliable as an AK. I have both a Arsenal SGL20 and two ARs. I realize that in my climate, if I had to traverse mountains, snow, rain, and mud daily for months and months, and fire many hundreds of rounds regularly without cleaning that yes, the AK with it's looser tolerances would win the day. But since I, nor probably 99% of the population won't have to put their ARs in that predicament..that the overinflated AK "reliability" dominance is a bunch of hot air...as much as the overinflated "glock reliability superiority" mindset makes M&Ps, XDs, and the other tupperware guns less reliable. Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

12. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I think when I get back, I am going to have to do a test to show what an AR is capable of. I will start with a detailed examination of the carbine and why I choose the components I choose (I haven't bought a complete 5.56 rifle in a long time. I can build quality, reliable ARs in the $600-$800 price range by carefully searching.) I will fork over the 1k or so for the rounds and shoot it without cleaning for as long as it will. Periodic squirts of CLP onto the bolt. I think I will tote it over some mountainous, desert terrain as well. Rain or shine and see how much the environment plays into it.

I already know how it will turn out. I live it. Despite the results, there will still be nay-sayers that talk in theoretical terms instead of actual performance.

It is decided. [gun]I shall do this.

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

On just about any Internet forum concerning guns and/or survival, you will find at least one person who spreads the myth that the AR-15 design rifle is unreliable, while praising the AK design to the high heavens, often with claims that you cannot cause a failure in an AK-47. Most of these people blame the "problem" on the direct gas impingement system of the AR, which is why so many gas-piston uppers have been introduced for the AR design. Piston proponents point to these new uppers and say "See? Those wouldn't exist if there wasn't a problem!" Actually, they exist for one reason and one reason only: because a market has been created by all the hype. Add five bucks worth of parts to an upper and sell it for three hundred bucks more than a standard upper? Of course somebody is gonna produce it!

Another theoretical shortcoming of the AR design, although not generally known by the typical Internet commando, has at least a grain of truth to it. It goes like this: When the bolt contacts the top round in the magazine and starts pushing it forward, resistance causes the cam pin to rotate, pressing against the side wall of the slot in the receiver in which it rides. Theoretically, the presence of dirt and grit can increase friction here enough to cause a failure to feed.
    If that's happening, you need to replace your buffer spring.

This video demonstrates the reliability of a basic AR. Although the handguards are different, it is a standard carbine-length, direct-impingement (non-piston) gas system. In the course of firing 3000 rounds through this upper, they seem to be using two lower receivers: the semi-auto only lower used in most of the test, and a full-auto receiver used for part of the test. Watch the amount of sand and dirt they pour directly into the action, making sure to get plenty into the area that supposedly causes a problem with the cam pin.

Look, anything can be made to fail, especially an autoloader. I don't care how reliable you think an AK is, it can't hold a candle to, for example, a Mauser '98; nor can a Glock or any other autoloading pistol match the reliability of an old-model Ruger Blackhawk. In the end, it is training and familiarity with your chosen weapon that makes all the difference. If you think being armed with an AK-47 automatically (pun intended) guarantees that you would win an altercation with a guy who is armed with a break-open single shot shotgun, you may just get the surprise of your life.
    Alabama Prepper's Network: AR-15 Torture Test

14. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

This is very true. I own an AK and I bought it for price only. I love the reliability. I've never had a single malfunction out of thousands of rounds. They also appeal to me from a mechanical standpoint. I love eastern block guns like the AK and Makarov because they were able to do so much with so little. I mean sheet metal and rivets - so simple. They say that during the cold war the Soviets were popping these out for $15 a copy!

There are huge drawbacks: accuracy sucks. ergonomics sucks. They're heavy and awkward.

I'm still searching for the best of both worlds though, and you have to admit that the AR platform has one huge disadvantage and that's price (especially ammo nowadays). The cleaning/lubrication/assembly/dissasembly component doesn't excite me even though it may be overstated.

Like I said. Searching for the best of both worlds. I'd like to see the hindsight on the piston models in a few years. (and I thought that the SEALS requested the SCAR which is what started the craze. That makes it a bit more than a marketing ploy, but whatever)

Sorry if I upset anyone with my obnoxious comment. It was meant in jest. I'm not an AK snob or AR detractor by any means.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or clean your gun once in a while. Jeez. FWIW, I've had a couple failures to feed when I tried to run one too dry. Had there been some lube to go with sand, I imagine the problem would not happen.

16. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Looks like I might have started or exacerbated an AK/AR debate! Weee! But in reality, how boring would this world be if we didn't have endless caliber and AK vs. AR debate! We all know the answers to the debates if we've been in a few, but it's still fun to do.

A very insightful read over at ar15.com where a well esteemed training guru with much more hands-on time with the AR platform than most on the forum (Pat Rogers) fields a ton of questions regarding proper builds, reliability, what lasts, what doesn't, etc. Probably a good 64 pages, of which I've gone comatose after maybe 45. Anyway, part of what makes his word very convincing is his 20+ years of armorer, mil/LE/contract work training various groups, and of course his two decades as a trainer at gunsite. From his probably thousands of classes he's advised prospective students saying to avoid the "hobby" guns, the builds that run "just like Colt!" and the other knock offs that aren't built to "the standard." He's seen every make and model of ar15 come through his trying course and has seen what breaks, what doesn't, which bolts, barrels, mounts, optics, buis, carriers, gas keys, etc. etc. fail, break, come loose, etc. He operates his own training group and in it he requires attendees to bring a "servicable rifle." In the above mentioned thread he discusses what it means and how it is annoying to get guys with their budget hobby rifles that "do just as good as..." and by 300-500 rounds into the course, they're using a loaner and slowing everyone down. He says that ARs are good to go bone dry until about 500 rounds..and you can just squirt some oil into the gas holes on the carrier and be good for a few more hundred rounds. Obviously wet is better, but todays quality ARs don't need the babying they used to.

ANyway, he does talk about AKs and as mentioned above, any rifle breaks. The first things to go on a quality AR will start, on average, around 10k rounds (like a cracked bolt or carrier). I forget the life expectancy he gives the quality AR rifles, and what it is for AKs..but both are good, both can break under 1k rounds, some can make it to 20k without a hiccup.

To hopefully end something I might have started, I'd submit that in "my opinion" during the SHTF scenario I stated earlier, I'd want the AR most because it's much more portable, and I'd add that I'm more confident with it and stopping what may need stopping with it than the AK. One factor that has swayed me to the 5.56 is that between 2700-3200 FPS, the M193 cartridge begins it's tumbling and thrashing in 4" of meat...and the slower, bigger 7.62x39 round usually takes a good 9-12" to start it's yawing and damage..if at all. And in my keyboard commando prowess studies of the opinions and facts of others who do shoot bad guys, a clean bullet hole through someone is not a sign of stopping them.

17. ghrit

My "too dry" ftf was around 700 rounds. A little better than you predicted, but in the ballpark. I've gone over to the "wet" side.

18. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Yikes! I agree with the chillax invite. Further, your pictures do nothing but show that "an AK47 rifle" took some abuse..or at least looks abused. It says nothing of reliability in the context of the debate at hand...namely, which platform is ideal for SHTF (which is vague and applies to each person here differently).

Some better questions are:
    1) What do I define as "reliable" in regards to a specific weapon platform? Do you really need to bury it in silt on a frozen river bank for 6 months, thaw it, light it on fire, then boil it in battery acid for an hour before dragging it behind a dune buggy through the desert? Or does it need to go bang at 100, 300, 500, 800, 1000 rounds after you yanked it from your safe (hopefully cleaned and void of any maltreatments of your own)?

2) What is SHTF? Is it like the movie "I am Legend?" "Escape from New York?" "Zombieland?" Jokes aside, it's whatever you imagine can happen when "your" society goes to pot and people get desperate and aggressive, right? If you're wondering if you can go 1000 rounds in a gunfight and never clean, then you have a bigger question - "Am I in GOD mode?!?!?" ..and you don't need a gun anymore.

3) Why argue about such a useless topic? No matter which platform you prefer, is the other really that crappy that you'd not use it if you had to? Do you think you'd only get 50 rounds off before it jammed because it's such an inferior action? :)

19. ghrit

Papa, Mags took those shots after he and a buddy thoroly abused an AK. Someplace on the site, he posted the story. I'll try to find it later this evening if someone else doesn't find it first About three years ago, IIRC, but don't hold my toes to the fire on that part. But for now, the sunshine and mild breezes are calling me outside.

20. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Then all I have to say to Mags is, "Why, oh why, would you torture such a marvelous piece of machinery?" Even if it's a crookedly assembled (century) wasr, it doesn't deserve that punishment! lol Actually, looks like an old AMD?

1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hitchcock4
  9. john316
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid