SHTF gun whats your ideal gun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by slug36, Mar 2, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I just outfitted my group for 2500 bucks! We bought 14 chipmunk rifles and put some sweet tasco 22lr scopes on them and I got 100,000,000 rounds of cheap china brass so I can reload these puppies and keep them fed. With the single shot, breech loading, hand cocking action, I think we will be able to shoot 24 hours a day for 100 years!

Thread Closed

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Magnus has a 7 day vacation.

We expect civility in discussions here and I hate when a thread goes sour over clashing opinions. I have scrubbed the inflammatory posts and am now opening it back up as i think this is a valuable thread.

Please ALL of you keep discussions and disagreements civil, with restraint in name calling and baiting.

3. tired-medic

tired-medic Monkey+++

I feel if I had only one it would be a short barreled 870 with a set of screw in chokes. Good for defese and game getter for all size animals.

4. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

Here's your winner! And in all honesty and truth, the decayed cranium of your garden variety zombie is perfect for letting a 22lr bullet in so having a wall of 14 chipmunks taking on the zombie hoards is a no brainer! No overheating, easy transport of the 10 million rounds and when you're done taking out the zombies, the cricket double's as a back scratcher! :)

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If you are looking for any stocks or additional product, they are good people and will go out of their way to help you no matter what.

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

<cite> </cite>

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I have used the M1A against the 4 legged critters and the M14 on SKTs hunting the 2 legged critters.

[​IMG]

Admittedly, I am planning to get rid of the M1A. Nothing against it. I have owned 3... 22" Loaded Model, 18" Scout, 16" SOCOM. The SOCOM is the last remaining one. The reason is simple... weight. I obtained an AR10 Carbine that will save me some weight next hunting season in the mountains. I enjoyed shooting all my M1As. They were all accurate. When you squeeze the trigger on a life, there is no doubt that the 7.62 will do it's part. They are reliable as long as you know how to take care of them. Remember when the M14 was adopted, rifle grease was in wide spread use. It likes a more vicsous lubricant.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I thought that was you who shot the buck.
    I have a wide collection of rifles and served with an M16,I would have preferred a 308 of any kind, I was pissed when they did away with my colt 45 and handed me a 9mm beretta, I didn't reenlist because of that and Clinton going into office( I don't know which was worse for me :) )
    Theres no doubt the AK is the Glock of assault rifles,It runs and runs.I have owned a few.
    I have owned and carried about all of them, its like shoes what fits you.
    You can abuse any machine until it breaks.
    I prefer 7.62x51mm for my rifles.its just a me thing.
    Have any of you gave the FAL a try?

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Yeah, that buck was a pretty good one. I had to work for that one. A long story for another day.

I had 2 experiences with FALs. One hit and one miss. I traded for a CAI FAL around 2002. It was a POS. Couldn't get it sighted due to improper front sight height. Eventually traded it off. My next experience was with a CAI that my buddy bought. This was last spring right before I deployed. We took it to an indoor range. It was a pleasure to shoot. Sighted in perfect. No issues with function.

The only downsides I can think of are length and weight. Length mostly. There are shorter barreled ones now. They are a lot pricer than the CAI variants I am familir with.

Maybe someone with a DSA experience will chime in on one of those beauties.

10. ibuyag

ibuyag Monkey+

i will go with a remington 870 with 20" & 26" bbl and a sks

11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'd have to go with the Saiga-12 with a few of them 20 round drums loaded with buck for mowing down the zombie hordes. imagine 240 .33 cal projectiles going down range in a few seconds.

yeah and maybe a few mags with slug or breneke specials.

12. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Have to be something I bought in a private sale, government knows about the rest of 'em.

They're coming to take 'em away. They'll be coming for all veterans guns first, then everyone else's.

They'll never get 'em all.

I got some choices, but aren't going to say what they are.

13. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

How'd the private sale thing go for you?

I gave up on the notion since it seems that anyone who's legit will keep records on the sale. In that case you are only one or two degrees of separation away from being identified.

And BTW, I don't blame anyone for keeping records. I might do the same since the "decent guy" I sell it to could sell it to a schmuck who gets it stolen and doesn't report it. Then a trace comes to me first.

14. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Bought several that way, not saying what. No record of sale. :D Depends on what state you live in if private sales are legal. Bought 'em at gun shows.[gun]

15. JeeperSean

JeeperSean Monkey++

All the talk earlier about caliber compatablity with uniformed enemys misses one point.. if you can get his ammo, chances are you can get his weapon to shoot it out of too. So you could use about anything to get that... then your set regardless.

16. rightofwayman

rightofwayman Monkey+

SR 22 Tactical Rifle

You want a hot 22. Take a look at our accessories for the Ruger SR 22 at www.ironeagletactical.com.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

17. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

It all depends on the Scenario. Mutant zombie hordes. Long time civil unrest. Read FerFals "Surviving Argentina". Many urban scenarios make it next to impossible to carry a long gun openly in public. You will lose it either by authorities or by perps. Pistols CC all the way in public, shotgun or rifle in car, ditto at home. Of course open civil war can change that in a hurry.

18. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I love my rim fires.but
    PLEASE....
    I know I've been gone long and should be on my best behavior; but:

No Gun ever became omnipotent because of all the really cool looking black **** you can hang off the 3 rails tacticool system. the .22rf certainly has its place and may well be the only option years down the the road.

Its certainly not the right tool for gun fighting. "lethal" and "stopping power" are two different things. No question: I can kill an assailant with my10/22. He may survive long enough to beat me to death with it and die hours later or simply turn, call me a "sumbitch" , train his cf battle rifle on me and turn my head into a redmist..before he loses conciousness. seesawAn exactly perfect shot to the brain stem through the facial "tzone " may shut him down reliably, a close shot anywhere to the head with a center fire rifle will deposit it some distance away from its original owner.( Perhaps that's exaggerated but you get my point).

Cold, tired, hungry and scared is no time to count on fractions of an inch.

19. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'm gonna apologize for the above reactionary post, that's the kind of judgemental stuff made want to take a break to begin with.
    of course "shtf" means alot of different things to everyone.We have generally agreed "civilian Survival" should not entail running gun battles with a well equipped and trained force. We all know:If its all you have the.22rf is far better defense than a sharp stick.and I do havefar,more rimfire in the can than 7.62x39,and .303
    combined..

Aliensinvading shtf :eek:ne of these : YouTube- High Impulse Weapon System

ExHelot likes this.
  20. XR750

XR750 Monkey+

Now from my understanding it's (1) one gun. For me it would be an M16 or a variant. Because of ammo mags spare parts availability. A (30) cal. would be nice but lack of mags and high price is problem.

1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hitchcock4
  9. john316
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid