shtf guns...and non guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Feb 4, 2008.

1. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

See there now your first statement to me makes your second a moot point .

While there may be more accurate barrels at some point it becomes a pointless venture when speaking of using them on a 22 rimfire due to it's limited range .

While I "and I am sure many folks" have made many a long one shot kill on a squirrel I know I couldn't truly take advantage of a more accurate barrel from a hunting position nor by the fact that I had killed my quarry with one shot already even need to .

Now when we get into turning 100 yard shots to 300 and most certainly beyond I can understand wanting to squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of a rifle .

Pure accuracy doesn't excite me as much as outstanding practical accuracy .

If we had two rifles side by side and one was very accurate and well balanced and weighed in at 9 LBS and the other was as accurate as a laser but was ungainly and heavy and had to be shot from a bipod to take advantage of that wonderful accuracy , I would grab the 9 LB one and never look back or give it a second thought .

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have thought of a better barrel for my 10/22 simply because mine at least isnt all that great. Out at about 80 yards (distance on my range) its not capable of groups better than about 3" (I can take my .270 shooting same target same way same day and cover it with a nickle easily) and I figure that especialy if one was going to use a .22 as a primary weapon then accuracy becomes all the more important. If you use a 30-06 and hit an deer in the shoulder/leg bone (just a couple inches ahead of where you might intend) then it blows on through and likely turns the bone into added shrapnel and the heart is still distroyed. Same shot with the .22 (assumeing its at say 50 yards) will only be likey to kill the deer if its from infection, on the other hand slip the round (on a grazeing deer, aint gonna happen when running) between the ribs as it steps up with the foreleg near you (gives about a 1" target) and it goes through the lungs and if angle is right the heart. Deer lays down in a few minutes and drowns in its own blood. Critters get slim from overhunting and they get spooked, you may get to try the head shot on that squirle at 100 yards. Basicly I figure if the gun is off 1" and Im off 1" I may miss the meat, if the gun is dead on and Im off 1" I may still eat. Basicly just that if you are gonna make it your primary tool then you want it the best it can be.

If the barrel you already have lays 1-2 MOA groups then I wouldnt bother most likely to spend loads to get a 1/4 MOA better groups BUT if its like mine that is in the 4 MOA range and can get a $200 barrel thats guaranteed to be capable of sub MOA groups then I figure that would be worth it.

4. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

I guess I have a bit better luck with my 10/22. I shoot empty 12ga shells standing on end out at about 75-80 yards. I hit about 4 out of every 5 shots. That should be a touch better than 3" groupings. Tough little gun. I only clean it once it starts misloading. Which makes it cleaned about once a year.

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

My understanding of stock 10/22 barrels is that it's a very "hit and miss" deal (sorry for the pun). Some are very accurate right out of the box and some not so much.

6. monkeyman

Yeah, most of them Ive seen includeing mine work fine for most anything other than competitive shooting or something out at 25 yards or something but when you start to reach out a bit then its a toss of the dice if its stock.

7. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wonder if your accuracy problems could be from a bad barrel/action bedding job and not the barrel itself Monkey .

I've read a few articles over the years that many factory rifles poor accuracy can be corrected by rebedding them .

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A couple biz cards may reveal the truth of that. Good idea to check.

9. monkeyman

Yeah I figure I may see aabout some of the basic accurizing on this one at some point but wouldnt mind adding a second one to the collection too and build it to suit as a backpack/survival type gun a bit better than the factory configuration dose.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Good call on the "cool looks factor" big001.. I see the same thing when Isee custom10/22's with muzzlebrakes .Theydo"look cool" technically any effect on the performance of the rifle would be immeasureable..but its a free country.Andyou're correct inmentioning "hunting positions" instead of bench shooting but, if I have confidence in 50yard one-hole groups off the bench ;I'll be better in thefield...
    But currently, its all about:..fun
    I like the looks and feel of the "heavy barrels", I'm sure I'll like it less after carrying it for a week.(hiking to the monkey bbq while avoiding rfid toll booths:) )

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Stock weld, breathing, trigger squeeze, sight picture. That's all I need, really. I am one of many around these forums (I believe, anyway) who can honestly say that any weapon I pick up can be utilized efficiently, and at higher standards than most gun enthusiasts and avid sportsmen. Too many people spend FAR too much time trying to improve their shooting by spending high dollars instead of just training properly.

That said; a really good barrel is a welcome trade-off, especially for pistolas. :) But, they are not absolutely necessary.

12. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

This has been my experience with them. My experiences varied. I like the lightweight carbon barrels myself.

You also have to consider that for some people it is a hobby, if they want to spend lots on something more power to them. We don't need 500 HP sportscars, and we don't need $2,000 pistols........but they sure are fun.

13. monkeyman

I agree that most weapons can out preform most of the folks who accurize them before anything is ever done, but I know pretty much any other long arm I have will lay groups well under half the size of the groups I get from my 10/22 at longer ranges. My .270 is a Winchester I got from Wallmart and the only 'modifications' it has had is that I got a better scope for it (took the one that came with it and put on my 10/22) and that after the sling stud pulled out I bent a piece of #9 wire around to hold the swivel of the sling to the rifle and duct taped it onto the forend with the tape around the barrel and all. Useing that .270 with whatever ammo is on sale and all else the same, I can make each of the holes touch with a 5 shot group when the 10/22 is laying a group I cant cover with my hand.

I have shot other 10/22s that were WAY better out of the box and might be able to fix mine with adjustments and such rather than parts, but do figure either way will have one thats at least as accurate as I am since dont figure that should be to hard to get to. lol

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7