SHTF More ammo More Guns ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Salted Weapon, Jun 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I have used the Adams conversion kit on two AR-15 builds and have one Adams AR308 (still unfired). The AR-15's have worked flawlessly. Too bad you missed out on the "blem" sale through Bud's - Adams overstocked during the last scare and blew them out through Bud's at a little over $600 a pop.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've been dead set against using arms or ammo for barter/sell/trade in a post SHTF world. I can never say never, however I will say it would take a literal life or death need for me to consider it-just me.
    This is a bug in location so I'm not too concerned about stockpiling too much in the way of ammo/weps to carry. All I will say is that caches are wonderful things. The list goes something like this:
    Primary firearms in 5.56 and 7.62
    Side arms in .45ACP and 9mm
    Shottys in 12 gauge and 20 gauge
    game getters in .22 LR integrally suppressed

Specialty weapon systems
    Bolt guns in 5.56, 7.62, .300 Win mag, .338 Win mag
    Semi autos in 7.62, .50BMG
    Carbine type weapons in 9mm(integrally suppressed) and .45ACP
    A pair of Hitler's buzzsaws

3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@3M-TA3 I would definitely consider trying one of those kits on the Colt DI I have...I wouldn't want to do it until I have another rifle though. I didn't even know they made such a thing. What's the normal price?

4. Bandit99

@Tully Mars "A pair of Hitler's buzzsaws"
    A....pair....of....Hitler's buzzsaws?!?!? I am not even going to spell out the nomenclature for fear of...not even going to say!

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It usually runs around $250, but I got mine on sale (forget the price) and it only added about $50 total to each build. Otherwise, I'd have gone DI. I posted mostly to give my endorsement of their system. I wish I'd have picked up four of the "blems" when they were on sale.

6. Bandit99

So, these 'blems' are DI guns that have been converted to piston? Please forgive my ignorance but know I am hanging onto every bit of education you send my way. I have just been go for so long and there was no need to stay up on these things.

7. Tully Mars

Wondered if anyone would catch that;)

I call them the Deutschland Duo.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Back on the subject - I think most of us are following this pattern
    Determine the firearms you need to outfit yourself/family/team. This includes spares, parts, tools.
    Purchase ammo and magazines to whatever you set as your minimum for each type
    Next, get extra ammo and reloading supplies.

I think most of us will have more $$$ in ammo than guns at the end of the day. Hopefully the vast majority will never be used except for plinking and practice.

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Bandit99

Ohhhhh my yes! That sentence flew off the terminal into my face...words almost went into my mouth because it was hanging open onto my chest. LOL! :)

Tully Mars likes this.
  10. Bandit99

One topic that I haven't seen come up concerning how much arms and ammo is that it might be in your best interest to arm your neighbors also. In that case, more is better... I really don't think the majority of the folks keep thousands of rounds of ammo around the house.

GOG likes this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The "blems" were piston guns from the get-go. Adams simply made so many during the last panic that they wound up selling the inventory cheaply. The only difference between the kits I used and what Adams puts on their complete rifles, is that my gas block/piston housing is held in place by bolts whereas the complete rifles use pins.

Bandit99 likes this.
  12. Tully Mars

To me that would really have to depend on the location AND the neighbors. In any case, I wouldn't arm them or tell them anything until AFTER a SHTF event. In our case that's kinda already covered since all the neighbors are immediate family and like minded.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I do my planing with certain neighbors in mind, but just preparing my immediate family with guns, food, water, first aid, meds, etc is already a huge challenge. If you have to arm your neighbors, they aren't laying anything else away either and will also expect a share of everything else. If I spread my net that wide I'd never get there.

I do think adding a less expensive second tier primary rifle might be a good thing, but that's likely to complicate your armory and ammo situation.

The only think I do have for my neighborhood is comms - The MotoTalk phones in BTPosts featured article. I might supply a neighborhood checkpoint with arms if needed, but only if needed.

GOG, AD1, Tully Mars and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bandit99

Yes, I understand and that makes good sense. I certainly wouldn't PLAN on arming my neighbors (or allocate money towards it) but if something went down I might not have a choice and have to team up with them or...die. So, maybe a few of my extra given to neighbors would be well worth it.

AD1 likes this.
  15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

It is interesting to talk with someone that has a firearm in their house and then hear that they only have a box or two of ammo. There are so many out there that think if they have a loaded weapon, a spare mag and a spare box of ammo, that they are set and ready for whatever. SHTF, they may want to come together as a neighborhood defense force member, with that firearm.... but barely any ammo. Things to ponder for sure.... if they have good intentions to help with defense, do you stock them up with a basic load?!
    Of course you would, if you have the ability, it only enhances your own security via a larger defensive force. Do you ever mention that you have that ability prior to SHTF....absolutely not!!

GOG, Bandit99, AD1 and 4 others like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Much as I would hate to leave any of my guns behind having to abandon the fort There is only one I will be holding onto for the duration, and that's the one I have the most ammo set aside for, not so much for power but for volume I can carry, compared to any other round one might imagine .
    By volume the 17 HMR is 5 X smaller in volume than the .223 .
    So even if it should have to take 2-3 -4 rounds to accomplish what a .223 can do in one or 2 I'm still further ahead. You see I don't anticipate being able to pick up ammo from the dead ,it is likely they won't have much any way.
    With the volume of guns out there, and liberals buying them as well as Muslims and other aggressive organizations ,2 sides fighting is bad enough but 10 sides fighting and all hell breaks loose .
    I don't anticipate there being much in big game to worry about either, in the long run, the 1929 crash decimated wild life to extinction of some species and that was the population then, the population now is exponentially larger and more selfish that any other generation. and small game is going to be quite wary at distances .22 is not capable.
    And larger calibers might reach out there, but there wouldn't be much left out of it to eat.
    Shot gun is completely out of the question so far as any range in these matter go. IMO
    Animals get smarter and their senses are sharper than ours having to depend on them all the more than most humans.
    I have rat traps that even peanut butter does not tempt them any more .
    They don't linger in the open any more either, knowing they will get shot if they do.

If I am not forced from my home, than having a good selection of weaponry and surveillance is valuable especially for very aggressive distant and close range attacks that may occur.
    One good reason I keep binoculars in my BOB .
    I will tell you this , it is almost impossible to defend a building from the inside. ( It is best to meet the enemy away from the BOL.)
    The enemy has the freedom and cover from any where around that dwelling, and the power to leave , and you may never know if he's left.
    Who in your group is skilled and expendable enough to find that out ? RQ(rhetorical question)
    If the attack is against the house and by vehicle then the heaviest weapon is appropriate ..454 or .50 cal if they are armed with auto or machine than having same is appropriate ,but expensive . (not yet acquired)
    The more you must protect the greater selection of equipment is required.

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Quality guns and lots of ammo. We dont own any cheap rifles any longer and that means we dont need as many backup guns. I am in the 22 long rifle camp for game gathering and we went real deep there. There was an entire year when we bought between 1 and 2 thousand rounds a month . I dont have enough for my AR yet but am working on that.

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

While we are on this subject, I would remind you all, that a Good BP Rifle and Pistol are the ultimate Backup Weapons, that need to be considered.... One can learn to make your own BP Powder, and cast your own BP Projectiles.... the same is NOT true for Smokeless Powders and Primers.... Our two BP Rifles are as good as any 30-30 Weapon out to 100 Yds, and the Ruger Stainless Old Army, is as good as any 9mm inside 50 Yds.... YMMV...

19. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

along with my 2 rifles and one shot gun and 3 pistols and I have started to stock up on black powder as I also have one rifle and 3 pistols in 45 cal. so while bp is still cheap for a pound I will stock up IMHO you only need one rifle one pistole and one shotgun but you can see I have more than I need but I can always give some to my son but you will need lots of ammo in a shtf so stock up while you can and if you reload then stock up on powder,primers and lead to cast your own bullets--wheel weights work and you should be able to scrounge up them

20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Actually, wheel wieghts are becoming rare in lead form. Steel is the new version, and zinc. Also, most garages are now recycling any and all scrap.
    Cleaned and cast lead in soft and hard bars, are available on ebay, but at @$2.00 per pound.
    A local tire company is buying used/scrap lead/acid batteries for just above core charge prices, and is reclaiming lead.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. duane
  4. Matei
  5. OldDude49
  6. oil pan 4
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. hot diggity
  11. Oddcaliber