SHTF More ammo More Guns ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Salted Weapon, Jun 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

We've done a bit of that here. Nasty work IMO, Nice to know we can do it if needed but for now I'd rather pay the 2 bux and have a stock pile of clean alloy ready to put in the pot.

2. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I hear mention many using shotuguns as part of their SHTF.
    I find they are just too damn loud to use in a non-combat shtf situation, I have tinitus from well guess what.
    So when it comes to guns I am aware near what decibel they are not to mention shotguns sound like a cannon in a valleys, walled street and in a home chances are that ringing wont stop. It why suppressors are a good addon to any SHTF addition.
    But if thats not possible I bet some will not be ready for the noise in a SHTF situation and how freaking loud it truly is on large calibers.
    So another consideration is noise to firearm ratio. So if in SHTF you want to hear a trig snap but can here and avalanche theirs yer sign.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Tully Mars

I agree with the use of suppressors, for more than one reason, but there are all those pesky forms that most don't want to fool with.
    For us the shotgun is a CQB weapon and if needed a food gatherer. I would rather not use them as such simply for the noise as you mentioned. I'm more concerned with the shot alerting others more than anything. In a SHTF situation ,while Joe 6er is shooting off everything he has gathering food I would be temped to do the same. My thinking is that my shots would blend in early on. Afterwards no so much.

Salted Weapon likes this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Noise is exactly why all the muzzle brakes are being removed from my rifles and replaced by very effective flash hiders. I shot a single 5.56 without hearing protection and thought I'd lost an ear for about an hour.

5. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

6. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

It's hard to find shops that are not already committed to give/sell their old wheel weights to others.

FYI, I see lead ingots on e-bay for about a buck a pound all the time...usually for 40lbs and up.

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. chimo

Ya know, there is no rule against using some kind of hearing protection when SHTF. Granted, in some situations you may not have time to worry about such things...but most times you do. Even shell casings or cotton balls are better than nothing. Personally, part of my EDC are these:

[​IMG]

8. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I also try and carry those Walmart cheap one in my truck car and person. Figure better then nothing. But I like those you are showing may have to look at these.

9. chimo

I keep a pair in my truck, in my range bag and in my EDC...and if I am carrying they are in my pocket. Being able to handle the noise can be a tactical advantage.

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

3M-TA3, Tully Mars and Salted Weapon like this.
  11. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I bought of these a few months back works great even in shtf the volume control makes it easy to hear still protect your ears. But not practical for day to day besides that people loo at you weird in Walmart hehe.
    Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff (R-01902)
    [​IMG]

AD1 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  13. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Cool one can listen to Metallica while taking out zombies.....

GOG, kellory and Tully Mars like this.
  14. Tully Mars

More like George Strait but yeah, that's the plan!:D

15. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I can do a listen at George Straight as well, Alabama, Clint Black and many others. I'm versatile !!

GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I guess we proved we need to add hearing protection to our list. I also have a pair of amplified hearing protectors as well as an unamplified pair, and naturally a bag of foam ones. I really like those earbuds! Now I just have to figure out what sizes...

Salted Weapon likes this.
  17. chimo

I tried doin a little shootin and scootin in the jungles of da PI using some of those when I was doing JEST. I gave them to the first rock ape I came across. I was constantly hitting them or my head on stuff...bout got knocked out by a tree. Been using ear plugs ever since...small, compact, out of the way of the things us clutzes tend to run into. ;)

18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Don't ever get a FFL C&R license (type 03) you'll wind up getting all kinds of off the wall "Stuff".
    it wasn't too bad when you could buy the ammo by the crate .10 cent or less per round for centerfire rifle and pistol.

Missus VT is still pissed about the crates of ammo everywhere. Well at least until I tell her how much I paid for it and how much it's going for now. And the trips to the range would cost IF it had to buy ammo today. It keeps the peace. ;)

STANGF150, GOG, Yard Dart and 4 others like this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Makes me think may be I could use my blue tooth ear plugs , they seem to block some of the out side noise any way and it's the concussion that get's you . easy enough to pull one out while not shooting to listen to other important sounds, a a matter of fact on could have an amplifier tied in to assist in hearing things out side normal capacities. Dual amplification one could even ascertain relative direction particular sounds are originating.
    If you have the money it would be a minor investment having a "bionic ear" in being able to listen to opposing forces conversation.

20. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Anyone ever use those sound direction addon for your rifle ?
    ( no not a suppressor. ) They are supposed to help the sound go forward and not off the side.

1. T. Riley
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. duane
  4. Matei
  5. OldDude49
  6. oil pan 4
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. hot diggity
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. Dont