SHTF scenerio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wrc223, Aug 27, 2012.

1. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

NY guv doesnt want nuke power and doesnt want to allow two nuke reactors to re-up their permit.
    http://www.pressconnects.com/viewar...g-Indian-Ridge-nuke-plant-could-cause-outages
    Of course with electric demand what it is and only going up every day, NYISO said this would cripple the power grid in NY. Of course this means all of the surrounding states will have blackouts as well because the grid is interconnected.
    Of course the guv needs to think it over.......

So, how many of you think it would be a helluva SHTF situation if NYC, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, and surrounding cities went lights out?

2. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

What is their backup plan...natural gas...coal?

3. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

4. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Cant use coal, Federal Government will NOT approve one single coal fired plant and here in NY, they are shuttering most of the coal fired plants. Goudey station, Jennison station, Cayuga station, and Somerset station are done. Demand goes up and generating stations keep getting closed or not approved.

5. Thunderbelly

Thunderbelly Monkey

Didnt something like this already happen? I sweat we were without power for days.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just look at the Power System in SoCal.... Same situation.....

7. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Soooo does this mean a trend toward natural gas?

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Just pray the rolling blackouts are not at the height of summer.
    Hot temperatures = hot tempers

The grid is pretty much in need of updating all across Amerika. It's just a matter of time before something pushes it over the edge. IMHO

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If I were a Betting Man, I would by stock in NG in that region, or at least in Transmission Lines into the region....... but I am NOT a Betting Man, so I leave it to some other folks, to make a pile..... on that deal....

10. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Oh no, we cant have NG either.
    There is a hold on all NG drilling in NY.

We cant have additional transmission lines either, that plan was shot down a couple years ago.

11. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

A friend of mine is a long retired lineman, he says that the grid has not been upgraded/updated in over 40 years, meanwhile demand has increased at an immense level.
    As it is all interconnected eventually it will come down like a house of cards.
    Most likely it WILL happen in the summer, air conditioning is a higher demand on the system than heat and lights in winter.
    Unless we have a major earthquake, blackouts spread in ripples from the Northridge earthquake in 1994, reaching far into other states, there were brownouts and voltage spikes in Colorado.

12. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Back in August of 2003 we had a major blackout here in the Northeast. At that time it was found to be a combination of an antiquated system and an inadiquate/broken alarm system.
    The follow up reports cited two major areas that need improving. 1. Transmission 2. Generation. Since that report (June of 2004) there has been no major repairs or upgrades to the power grid AND we have shut down power plants continually since then while bringing NO additional generation on line.
    I have (in the past) predicted the SHTF will be in the form of a major breakdown/interruption in utilities. A large number of friends and people in my family work for companies like NYSEG and NYISO and they have been saying for a couple years now that we are one good poke from being off line for an extended period of time so this is a subject that is near and dear to me. I have also had the unfortunate experience of working EMS during a large scale blackout and I know what happens when the animals dont have playstation to keep them in their cages.

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (bwahahahaha Monkey humor) and say. You're right!

Right now we are under capacity, on an aging grid that should have been updated 20+ years ago. That coupled with corporations needing to make shareholders happy by returning the profits to them and not investing in the infrastructure, It's only a matter of time. Those in big cities will fair worst of all, All those big buildings that need electricity to move the elevators and to pump water to the top so they can flush the toilets. Eeeew, you thought the stairwells in the parking structures at Detroit metro smelled bad.

Shareholders won't care, they got their dividends out. Big corp don't care because if they don't do anything, sooner or later the government will step in and provide them with the money (from our tax dollars) and mandate to do the emergency upgrades and then they will boost our bills to help pay for the increase costs (even though they got a gov't handout). If you don't die during the blackout, you will be paying the price for decades to come.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7