SHTF Vehicle...for the wife.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BenP, Nov 14, 2018.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you want a neighborhood electric vehicle forklift motors are fine.

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've got a bunch of projects and ideas on the table , just don't have the time , place , or money to put them into action. .
    So if anybody here has an empty K mart bldg you're not using , let me know.

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[winkthumb] [winkthumb] SB (y) (y)

[ditto] [ditto] what ya said

angel investors needed

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My problem is that I have a 50 hour a week job.

That's why I bought an electric vehicle instead of building my own.

The leaf is the same price or cheaper, faster, has more range, has regenerative braking, charges faster, probably more reliable over all, than something I would be able to build.

If I built my own there would be 0 proprietary parts, I would know how everything works, I could charge and drive at the same time, the range would kind of suck, batteries wouldn't last more than a few years, a DC drive system would be quieter than the leafs AC system.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've wondered if you tied an alternator system into the axles to be charging the batteries while driving ,,,,I know it wouldn't be a self regenerating system , but how much added time would be added to the estimated mileage ? I know there are many variables in this question , but , just wondering .

oldman11, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Regenerative braking adds up to 30% to your range in city driving.
    That's because you stop and go constantly, braking and tire rolling resistance are major energy users.
    With regenerative braking the motor temporary becomes a generator.
    A trick that synonymous AC motors do very well. Permanent magnet DC motors can also do it.

But regen doesn't do shit on the highway.
    With highway driving almost of your energy expenditures are beating the air out of your way with the front of the car and tire rolling resistance.
    You roll along sucking down 10 to 20kw of power constantly for how ever long it takes you to go from point a to point b on the highway then when you slow down to get off the highway you make 20 to 30kw for 20 or 30 seconds until inertia runs out.

The only time you can turn an alternator with the vehicles own speed is when you want to slow down.
    If you do it while trying to maintain speed you just turn some of your forward velocity into heat and it achieves nothing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Just get her one of these. Or get it for yourself and give her your current vehicle.

[​IMG]F650Custom_01 by Grandpa Patch, on Flickr

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Having trouble with traffic? Need a Bug Out Vehicle for a SHTF scenario? Maybe you need Dragonman's Attack Jeep!

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you are going to have a second vehicle that is going to be a boring car that's only going to be driven short distances around town it might as well be a boring electric car.

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was reading an article this morning and thought of this thread. 7 Emp-proof Cars That You Can Buy For Less Than $2000 - Ask a Prepper
    I looked at these EMP proof cars and think most of them would be hard for a modern on-the-go Mom. I don't think we could fit our golf bags and family in a VW Bug or Yugo.

11. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

where's your sense of adventure? :D:D:D

Gator 45/70 and Grandpa Patch like this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Think MOTO. You have a roof and some rope. If it's raining or snowing you can put the golf clubs inside and the kids outside.

13. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I think I could get her to go for the Land Rover 110 if I could find one and fix it up. They are closer to $20-30k around here though.

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That's funny the prices,People want more than the original sticker price here!!!

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The yugo isn't emp proof, you just wouldn't be able to tell one had hit.

16. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

tru dat :) :)

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The old '96 out front is the straight 6 and gets 20ish per gallon. 4x4,auto, full size spare, stock size AT tires. For the size I didn't think the mileage was too bad.

1. DKR
  2. Clownbear69
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Tully Mars
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. STANGF150
  10. Motomom34
  11. sdr
  12. Yard Dart