Sig p220

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

anyone tried one of these in .45? was thinking about one for concealed carry and wanted some input.

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I haven't heard anything bad about them, but I've never shot a Sig of any kind so have no clue. What I do know is that for the most part Sigs are pretty good handguns.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

never held one myself but have heard nothing but Great about Sig. Clyde has a couple I think

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have shot quite a few 220's/226's. They are a little bulky for concealment, unless you are going to wear a coat. I have been thinking about picking up either a 226 or 229 from CDNN Investments. The 229 is easier to conceal. You can get them used in very good to excellent condition with night sights for under $400. I won't need it for concealment purposes, so I will probably elect to go with the 226 if I do decide to buy one. The 220's/226's/229's are all fine handguns. I really enjoyed shooting them.

5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Sea, I had a 220, traded it for one of the 1911s I have now. I really liked the weight of the alloy frame for carry, if you wore dress slacks, or just some looser ones, it wouldn't weight them down like a steel frame gun. When I traded a couple of years ago, I was in the middle of a year where I shot about 8000 rounds of pistol ammo, and was concerned about the alloy frame. While I don't have any data on longeivity of the 220, alloy frames have never held up to the hundred-thousand round counts like a steel frame gun. I needed to standardize more, so I traded for another 1911. The only non-1911 .45 I own now is a Ruger KP97, polymer frame and stainless slide.

I liked the 220, it was accurate, I practiced a lot with the DA first shot trigger pull, so I could keep that first shot in the same group. Mine was particular on the ammo, it didn't like the +P stuff, even after changing the recoil spring. It would batter the case, dent it right in the middle from too much slide velocity. The only known weakness of that gun is the slide rails are a bit dainty. I bought a 220 mag from a retired OK State Trooper at a gun show, and he said his was out of operation after he hit someone with the gun.

7. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

8. Cleaner

Cleaner Monkey+++

Seacowboy, I own a Sig P220 and it is my goto handgun. It's deadly accuate, I can shoot 1.5" groups offhand at 25 yards all day. Extremely reliable, I have about 70-80,000 rounds (no thats not a typo) through it. Sure, I've had to replace some parts in it from normal wear and tear and high round count. But otherwise it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. As far as the frame rails being "dainty" I haven't had any problems with mine. It is a little bulky, but as someone stated earlier, no problem with a coat. NorthWoods can back me up on all of this as well. ;) IMO best fighting production gun for the money.

9. E.L.

Wow, that's a lot of shooting! Glad to hear the review.

10. Cleaner

Cleaner Monkey+++

10-4!! I try to shoot 300-500 rounds a week. Not as much when it gets real cold up here. But whenever I can go, I go.

11. Northwoods

Northwoods Monkey+++

sig this sig that it's all i ever hear about..... [loco]

12. E.L.

Shooting that much, do you reload or do you have a real good source for cheap .45?

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

...or independantly wealthey? lol

14. Cleaner

Cleaner Monkey+++

Northwoods when are you going to get one?? ;) I do have a couple of sources for cheap ammo(Wolf). But I do also reload. If it weren't for my wife I would probably have to kill everything I eat. (Not nessassarly a bad thing) But sometimes, I do spend money on ammo when I should buy groceries, pay bills?!! :sneaky:

15. Northwoods

Northwoods Monkey+++

I'm working on it [winkthumb]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7