Sig wins.....

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by rjburk, Jan 20, 2017.

1. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

Sig won contract for new Military sidearm......anything but a Beretta......

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If we need to have them carry a pistol, I'm still in the 1911 camp for a full size semi auto. That's if... I personally would rather carry the weight of a pistol and it's ammo as more ammo for my rifle. 9mm weighs as much as 5.56 per round - which would you rather use to protect yourself? Yes, I know, 7.62 or it just bounces off and they cover the scratches with band-aids...

The Sig is 26 ounces unloaded, add 17 rounds and you are past 32 ounces so the weight cost for just the pistol is two loaded mags of 5.56 or 58 rounds. Every two additional pistol mags costs slightly more than an additional 28 round mag for your M4.

Second choice would be a SMALL LIGHTWEIGHT pistol like a S&W Shield so if I get caught taking a dump I can buy time to pull my pants up and grab my rifle. Fun fact - people with pistols usually place second in firefights involving rifles.

That Beretta is a friggin' boat anchor at 2.12 lbs unloaded. Loaded weighs enough for three mags of rifle ammo... just sayin'...

Legion489 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I hated the bretta from about 1990s until I actually shot one.
    Once you shoot one it kind of grows on you, like mold.
    My friend who also hated brettas after shooting a 96 DAO in the mid 1990s. Once he started shooting my 92fs and right away he said "I don't hate this" then by the end of the range day he "kind of liked it".
    But the DAO requirement was a stupid idea thought up by people who sit behind a desk. And is probably the most hated side arm design of modern times. Plus for some reason the 96 series jams more.
    The ridiculous size of the ejector port, you know how the whole top of the slide is milled out there isn't much excuse for it to jam.

But in sig versus bretta I do like sigs more.

Which sig did they pick specifically?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    Marck and Legion489 like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I never heard of it but I am not much of a Sig guy. I thought it would be the P226...Frankly, I think they should have gone with the Glock 17. But, I agree, anything but a Beretta.

"Army Picks Sig Sauer's P320 Handgun to Replace M9 Service Pistol"

Army Picks Sig Sauer's P320 Handgun to Replace M9 Service Pistol | Military.com

The are also testing with good results Magpul D-60 magazine, drum that holds 60 rounds and is no longer than a normal mag. I guess everyone heard the Marines are going to Magpul Gen3 mags and getting rid of the metal ones. I am thinking about getting a D-60 but a bit pricy at ~$125

Services, Elite Units Testing Magpul's 60-Round Drum - Kit Up!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2017
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

AT least the Marines and the A.F. have a on going contract with Colt on the Delta Series M1911
    Some one got it right! I have an original Delta Elite that is the twin to the ones we were issued, we were invited to tour the Colt factory and to shoot a few new pistols with the range master, Colt offered us any 1911 we wanted for actual cost, I said hell yes and got that Delta with my branch, name, rank and my service number as the SN engraved in the slide and frame! Went back 2 months later and shot it with the range master and they presented it to me in a nice case! Beretta are/were cool, but the 9 mm rounds sucked for actual use, thus the switch to 1911's for us!

Brokor, 3M-TA3 and Legion489 like this.
  6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

Good choice. Quite a few LE agencies are doing the same.

7. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

When I was in Afghanistan 2010-2011 I never saw one 1911 used by anybody....8 out of 10 SpecOp guys carried Glock 45's....once in awhile you would see a H&K or a Sig....never saw any of them with a Beretta.....

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Where is the mighty 10MM. Just saying that to pull @Yard Dart 's chain. [gun2]

Marck and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I was trying to not wade into this thread MM......
    I carried and shot a Beretta for years in the Army. It performed well for me and my particular side arm was very accurate.
    Though I agree with the 9mm performance issues and think a .40 or .45... and maybe the hog 10mm would be more combat practical. :)
    Does that make you happy MM?! :whistle:

Mountainman likes this.
  10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

The Marine Raiders/MARSOC and no longer authorising the Colt 1911, I believe they have standardised on the Glock 19.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I really wish they would've picked the M&P and gone 'Murican made. I will always favor the Springfield XD over Glock, personally. But a tactical 1911 in .45 is the best choice, in my opinion, too.

I understand the concept they may be looking for -- modular, light weight, rugged, external safety, easy to work on and take down.
    Oh well, it's not like I have any say in the matter. [camo]

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sig has a mfr facility in NH. For sure I do NOT know if there was a "Buy American" clause in the purch order, or if there was a requirement in the RFP calling for US built. But I think they can do it.

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7