Signs of a bad day starting

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Working the bolt should be a smooth, well practiced action..

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Wrong Place.... Bears have VERY BAD Eyesight, and have trouble seeing clearly past about 10 feet, anyway. Their Ears and Noses are their Primary Senses, and if the animal is coming Directly for you, at close Range, your best bet is NOT a Head Shot, but a Breast Shot just under the chin. You are still likely to get mauled, at that distance, but if you take off Perpendicular to the Bears approach, after the HIT, you might just get a second shot, and then it should be a Spine Shot, or Heart Shot of at all possible. ..... YMMV....

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

you misunderstand me, my target and beyond. I'm shooting for the eyes to go through the nasal cavity in the brain. the slopes skull of a grizzly will deflect bullets but the orbital ridges and the nasal cavity will not.
    as for second shots, if I'm using deer slugs, I'll have 3 on the way before I run, reloading as I go.
    with a 22 caliber, only chance I've got is a soft tissue, either the brain or directly Under the chin.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Unless you happen to be a World Class Shooter, AND this Brownie is not even aware you exist, yet....
    Your chances of hitting the Eye Socket is pure fantasy, in that if the Bear is as close as the Picture,
    AND has already made up it's mind to Munch You, one un-Aimed Shot, is all your going to get.
    That Bear can Out Run you, in every possible catagory, except Down Hill, and then only if you can maintain
    your footing. He/She is a lot smarter, and faster, than you give him/her credit for, and in Attack Mode,
    Your Toast, even if you get off one shot, at that distance. The safe plan here is to NEVER let the Animal,
    get that close to you, without both you and he/she knowing the existence of the other. Brownies encounters
    are mostly, a rare occurence unless you actually LIVE in their Neighborhood, and even then, You as a Human,
    are not really on their Meal Plan. So, setting off an Attack Mode response is also a very rare thing, even in the
    normal encounters between Human/Brownies. There are exceptions, like Kodiak Island Brownies, Old
    Brownies that are to slow to hunt effectively, AND Juvenial Male Bears, that just left Momma, and haven't mastered
    their Hunting SkillSet quite Yet. The simple fact is that Black Bears have killed more Humans, by many times, than
    Brownies ever have. This is due to the Numbers of animals, the range of Black Bears being much larger, and the
    many more number of encounters, over the years. Both will still Kill You DEAD, if you are on the Munch List.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. kellory

I have run into a bear while hunting only once. It was not quite that close, nor was it in a pitularly bad mood. But Ohio has lots of trees and up one I went until I was quite sure it was not interested in me.
    Since I was hunting squirrels at the time, and all I had was a glenfield model 60.22lr, and my sheath knife, I spent the next 3days (or @40 minutes) with a scope trained on an eye socket, at a range of about 30 yards. ( I can hit acorns at that range easily).
    I don't ever want to get that close again, even in a zoo. If the bear tried coming up the tree, I would have put as many of my 17 shots as possible through that orb.
    You can dream of what weapon you would use, but at the time, you must use what you have in hand.
    Ohio allows only one weapon at a time while hunting. Only exception is a CCW. I do not have one yet. That means when bow hunting or small game hunting, I can not carry a pocket howitzer, just arrows, bolts, or shot shells.
    I can use a rifle on anything, except deer, (dumb deer law) slugs only.
    So I have thought out my target, and that is still my aim small, miss small target.
    You are welcome to you own methods.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Just remember, in bear country, black bear scat has grasses and small mammal fur in it. And they can follow you up trees to eat you
    Brown/Grizzly bear scat has running shoes with bells on them, smell faintly of pepper, and they will knock down the tree you climbed up, and then eat you when you fall out.

Quigley_Sharps, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

1465227_651686634883185_2010530211_n.

kellory likes this.
  8. Yard Dart

You know what they say... you dont have to be quicker than the bear...just your buddy...[gone]

9. kellory

That's one reason I now hunt with a partner....:rolleyes:

Yard Dart and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Better hope it runs in a straight line and not like this one :whistle:

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

beargun_zps9688d298.

Bear gun...lol

oldawg, VisuTrac and Yard Dart like this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well I guess that would be the definition of hand cannon

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

[eek3] :eek:

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7