Silicon Bakeware

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by MountainMariner, May 14, 2015.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE, here.... Silicon is NOT the same thing as Silicone.... Some Folks here are using the two terms, interchangeably, which they are NOT.....

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

There is almost always more than one solution to a problem. Perhaps we could increase your ease of access to water?;) you have a cistern and roof collection, a stream and a lake. How far, how large, and flow rate? Several methods are available depending upon the variables.

3. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

The lake is 1300 yards away and the elevation change is 600ft. The stream is about 2500 yards away and elevation change is about 800 feet, and the terrain going that way is rough. I'm adding another 110 gallons for the cistern system but that doesn't do me much good in the winter. (I have to drain that system before it freezes)

My ATV can make it to both, in the summer. But winter freezes both sources. Plenty of snow then anyway. I just don't like to use 2-3 gallons of water when I could avoid it. Dish washing uses the most water. My belly second. And my shower every couple of days only uses about 4 gallons.

4. kellory

I assume both sources are below you, not above, correct?
    Does the stream have at least 10' of drop near by? A ram pump could raise water about 100' higher/nearer to you, to a holding tank or pool. A solar powered 12vt RV water pump could pump it horizontally to you. Mechanical windmills have been used for centuries to pump water by wind, but for a 600' climb, I would either use a fueled pump, or use a series of solar powered rv pumps with float valves and with tanks at each pump location. Water would climb like a stairway. Could get costly though, as each of those pumps are rated for (I think) about 30-35' of head.
    On the other hand, a windmill paired with a tank and a ram pump, could raise water more rhan 100' per stage.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. MountainMariner

Yes. Below me. No elaborate systems needed. Just trying to keep it simple. I make about 5 gallons of water a day in the winter. Summer I can use 5-10 gallons day and getting more is no problem then either.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I would say that's really good for survival.

7. kellory

Wintertime temps? Could do several passive methods to melt snow, with mirrors, black plastic, or solar heaters...;)

8. MountainMariner

15 to -10f average temp in the winter.

Getting water isn't my problem. Using what water I melt or fetch then filter is. So I use as little as possible. The other issue is my sink dumps straight down into a 5 gallon bucket which I then have to tote to the cliff and dispose. If I dump even food particles in dishwater near the cabin the bears and other critters show up.

9. kellory

Simple to arrange a garden hose for drainage.

10. MountainMariner

The cliff is about 40 yards away. A water hose or pipe system would likely freeze in winter or clog in summer. And bears would dig or tear either up. Easy enough to dump the bucket. Bears chew on everything. Porcupine too.

11. MountainMariner

Here is how I make my shower water:

[​IMG]

Then dump the warm water into my 12v pump bucket and pull the string to start the pump:

[​IMG]

Then dump the galvanized tub.

Every drop of water used is work though. So I try to use it very wisely.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  12. kellory

You could heat your water with copper pipe in the fire box, and never have to carry hot water again. Just feed it off your water tank and gravity feed or power pump it only when the shower is running. It would also act as a radiator to help warm the cabin.

13. MountainMariner

The shower/sauna is a separate building about 20 yards from the cabin.

[​IMG]

The cabin has an oil drip heater.

Here is the layout.
    [​IMG]

Ganado, kellory and RightHand like this.
  14. kellory

Very nice.[winkthumb]
    Thought it was one building. You might check In to evaquated cylinder solar rooftop, water heaters. Your pump would send the water up, cold, it would come back down hot.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Nice place... Skip the shower sauna and scrap off the dirt =)

16. MountainMariner

That's one of the small lakes in the photo above. The big lake is this one (photo taken from my front porch looking ESE)

[​IMG]

And to give you an idea of the hill I sit on:

[​IMG]

Not a good cabin to own if your a sleepwalker.

17. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

thanks for sharing the photos. It's beautiful. I can hear the silence!

18. MountainMariner

Correct.
    Title of this post should have been "Silicone Bakeware."

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

If you didn't know what mountain mariner meant raise your hand.... Really? Duh we all knew what he meant

20. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

yes, we knew what he meant buy I appreciate BT's reminder.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7