Silk handkerchief

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

When I was a child, my Uncle Billy, the man that introduced me to shooting, said that you could hang a silk handkerchief from a clothes line and shoot into it with a .22 and it would catch the bullets. I have never owned a silk handkerchief and the one time I tried to borrow one from a former wife, was wrought with guilt and returned it untested. Knowing the propensity for challenge around the monkey, I just thought I would mention this, sort of like showing bright shiny objects to divers....My apologies to any wives that may or may not find peculiar lead stains or possibly moth holes in that lovely silk handkerchief, I'm sure it is the detergent....without saying, there are a number of control parameters that could effect the out-come, such as size of handkerchief, density, weight, velocity, distance, rate of fire....of course video always helps us less fortunate, understand the physics involved in such a monumental "hold my beer and watch this" task. ...just sayin...might not want any significant identifiers in the video though because wives are notorious for spotting these little anomalies accidentally, even years after having gotten over the grief of finding moth holes in her grandmother's heirloom silk handkerchief.
    Of course, other questions will arise, given proper response, such as calibers, distances, ballistics coefficients (for us reloaders)...Rusty will get around to reading this sooner of later, it's too shiny for him to leave it alone.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I have some silk bandanas, but I ain't gonna go shooting them. Will leave this here for consideration.

3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

I wonder if the handkerchief was hung loose or taut on the clothes line if it would make a difference...:D
    Not that I am going to try this experiment...

I do own a black silk handkerchief for my reenacting purposes ...You read of silk scarves and handkerchiefs being shipped out to fur trade posts....Often you will read of a hunter tying a handkerchief to his ramrod to attract a antelope....
    Andy

Zimmy, Bandit99, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Woosy.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

AndyinEverson, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've heard the same story pretty much. The hanging egg and the 45 slug.
    Don't recall if the egg was empty or full though hanging by a single thread.
    Fable goes that the slug will push the egg shell to the side?

Hanzo and chelloveck like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just don't try to catch the bullet with the hankie while holding it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Like the tai chi concept of using soft against hard. And moving a 1000 pounds with four ounces of force.

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I can almost guarantee not taut.

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Good video clip....thanks for posting

I think the silk 'bullet proof' vest works under slightly different physics principles....the vest consists of a number of layers of silk with the layers' stitching overlapped, and with each layer differently oriented, and it's somewhat more rigid than the Samurai 'horo'

I have seen internet instructibles on making improvised body armour using layers of fibreglass cloth (fire blanket) and polyester resin (with hardener) / clear tile sealant. YMMV....no guarantees are made about the effectiveness of these types of improvised armour against firearm projectiles, arrows, bolts or any other kind of weapons more lethal than a spitball.

Interesting safety boots! :eek: The tile at front of the denim armour deforms the projectile, increasing its surface area and separating the copper jacket from the lead core.

11. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I've seen this done before. My father used to do this for people as a" trick". He explained to us that since the silk scarf was so light, the bullet just pushed it out of the way. He also told us that he used this to earn extra pocket money back in the day. Maybe @Witch Doctor 01 can add to this.

Yard Dart, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Seacowboys

That's just peachy, like we couldn't have googled a bunch of crap that's sort of related. It's the PC version of "I'm too much of pussy to actually shoot one of my old lady's scarfs.". I thought surely, amongst some of you armchair adventurers, hoarders of beans and bullets, there would one curious soul with some juevos, a few Remington Yellow-Jackets, access to her top drawer and enough Jack Daniels to see this worthy experiment through but I guess I need to re-access. Jeeze, sucks living in the Snopes generation.

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

BAAHAAhaaaa!!!!!

Capt. Tyree likes this.
  14. chelloveck

Actually shoot one of my silk outfits??? What kind of crazy do you think I am??? :rolleyes:

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Don’t ask for opinions, on if another monkey thinks you are crazy, @chelloveck because you are opening yourself up to others violating the COC, at your request, in which case it negates that violation, in my view...

16. chelloveck

Rhetorical questions require no answer. :p

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

What makes it retorical?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The answer is obvious ---.

Every lake has a (more or less) tame loon.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

And peacock feather bola?

oldawg and chelloveck like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7