Silver Rounds vs Coins

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by T. Riley, Aug 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was told that coins are not pure silver but a harder metal is added to reduce wear.
    It is not recommended to use these in making of colloidal silver due to this important factor..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'll give you 10 cents for every 1943 through 1945 Jefferson nickel you send me.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Nickel silver is not silver, it is nickel . Periodic table= N1
    Know you're elements.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Unless you've lived it,One has to be there to see how well Cajuns band together in hard times and have a good time doing it as well.

oldawg and Zimmy like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'll also give ya a buck for 1965 - 1969 Kennedy half dollars. ;)

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Wildbilly,you need to come by my house first,we’ll be waiting.
    Have a good nite.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'd be quicker to accept American silver coins. There are a couple of Mexican silver coins I could compare to what I own but that's about it for my confidence.

9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I purchased a scale to weigh my silver rounds when I get them. I also purchased a calibration weight. Each new silver round should weigh 31.10 grams. I weight them, check them with a very strong magnet, drop them to hear them ring and put them away. If old coins are the medium of exchange post SHTF, someone will be counterfeiting them.

Motomom34 and Zimmy like this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

If folks are too foolish to know that a pre-1965 coin is 90% silver then they are NOT gonna make it. If I DON'T have to spend too much time searching for their little bit of stuff AFTER they have died of NATURAL causes, I MIGHT be inclined to bury them and say a few words. Merry Christmas to You and Yours.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

When using ultrasonic thickness gages it is important to note that different metals have different acoustic velocities. Also usually the built in velocities on some instruments are only for one specific alloy of that metal. Different alloys have different velodicites. Seriously.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yes , Silver / gold / lead / and then steels & AL all have AU= 3240 but if I use my meter and I have tweaked it to 3246 to see my micrometer match the meter 100% , AG is 3600 but fine tweak is 3597 for the match ,,
    Also I use ky jelly as my paste . So if I check my meter to my test sample of AU /AG I know im set to measure , Same as Weigh scale , I have a few calibration weights to set up and check the scale .

Im pretty good at this now , in the 60's these new toys were not around.

Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. VisuTrac
  2. enloopious
  3. Motomom34
  4. The_Prepared
  5. oil pan 4
  6. oil pan 4
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Ganado
  9. oil pan 4
  10. oil pan 4