simple knife making primer

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Tango3, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

With all the talk about blades around here lately I went poking around and turned up this simple primer on creating a single bevel blade from a file using simple tools and a dirt forge.in 4 parts:
    302 Moved
    No high buck tools: he uses a simple camp fire to anneal the file; harden's it in a dirt forge( using char coals from the first fire)and he draws back the spine with a propane torch I'm sure its nothing like a pro makers' knife but simple primitive skills get me going..

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What would MacGyver do? Yeah, I love that stuff, too. ;)

Hopeless Victim: "It's all over. We're surrounded."

MacGyver: "Nah. Don't give up yet. Look. I have a pine cone, a tube of toothpaste, and a D cell battery. I have just conveniently located a brillo pad and a bottle of caustic acid under the sink moments ago, and if these bad guys continue to shoot at everything except me, I will have just enough time to create a less than lethal knockout gas cloud, granting us escape at the last second before the entire building erupts in flames."

Hopeless victim: "Oh. Brilliant!"

A sharpened butter knife makes a terriffic throwing knife.

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Good vid... its amazing what you can do with some desire, ingenuity and hard work.... I like this kind of stuff...
    Thanks for posting...[beer]

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You really don't need much to make a knife - I made my first with a drill, a hacksaw and files. Draw the outline of the blade, then drill holes just outside the line and hacksaw the remainder. File to complete the profile then file the blade. Very hard work, and after that first one I bought a grinder! :)

5. ninjashoes

ninjashoes Monkey++

yeah the hardest part is making a sweet handle

6. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

That's the easiest part for me - getting a straight grind or a clean forged taper is harder [beer]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7