Simple way to make a sheath and wet forming - part 1

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by sticks65, Apr 7, 2010.

1. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Im going to do this tutorial in two parts.

Part one,making the sheath

I thought id add my tutorial on sheath making,ive been looking at the different ways that folks make there sheaths and pieced together a good method.

So here goes.

The first thing i did is take some natural thread and die it using tea,works well,then i waxed the thread so it was easy to sew with.

Then i made a template out of card,to do this lay your knife sideways on the card a draw around it then measure an inch out from your line and draw the same pattern,this should give you space for a welt which is a strip of leather that is stitched in between the sheath to stop the knife cutting the thread,now cut out the pattern then fold in half and cut out the opposite side,now you should have a template,try you knife and see if you have enough space around the edge for stitching if so your ready to use your template.

When making your template remember to leave a belt loop and also to make sure before you cut anything that it is on the correct side for you to wear,there is nothing worse than making a sheath and finding its a left handed and your a right hand-er.

Now lay your template on to the leather and draw around it and test to see if your knife will fit,if so cut out your leather.

Now lay your template on to some of the off cut leather and draw around the edge,this is for the welt,then measure an inch in from the line and cut this out and glue to the edge of the sheath and use some thing heavy to weigh it down and leave to dry.,check photos out and you will see what I'm talking about as this has been placed in the right order.

The next step is to sew the belt loop up,draw the holes on the loop were you want them and drill the holes out,then glue and sew.

OK now you need to glue the sheath together,i also added a rivet which is optional,weight it down and leave to dry.

Once the glue is dry mark out wear the holes will go for stitching,once this is done drill the holes and stitch the sheath,i started stitching from the bottom and double stitched using a needle on each end of the thread,once you have stitched to the top then double stitch back down by two holes and cut thread.

Now all you have to do is sand the edge of your sheath.

fined a nice piece of 3mm leather of appropriate size.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]p

Part 2 can be found by following the link below.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/bushcraft/16012-simple-way-make-sheath-wet-forming-part-2-a.html

kellory and Georgia_Boy like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Very cool.... leatherwork is very rewarding and fun for sure...

3. hog

hog Drinking Mampoer.

To be honest I would have been happy to leave my efforts at this un formed stage, to go on to wet form it is much better and ends up with a tighter fitting sheath.

4. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

cool

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Come back to us, Sticks!

sticks65 likes this.
  6. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Hee hee!! Im still around just been very busy and not had time to get out and about so not had much to add to the forum.
    But thanks for your thoughts.

ghrit, Brokor and BTPost like this.
  7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

8. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Yup... good to see you are still around!

9. sticks65

sticks65 Monkey++

Thanks guys.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

bump

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7