Since when was a pound 12 ounces?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VisuTrac, Nov 22, 2011.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Wife sent her dad (basement dweller) to the store to pick up a few pounds of bacon.

He returns back with 3 packages of el cheapo bacon. Well, OK.

I start to put them in to the meat drawer. Package is about the right size but the part where the bacon is seems smaller.

Yep, looking at label sure enough, 12 oz.

Obviously looks like the metric system has come to roost. DAMN EU!

dragonfly likes this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

troy ounces?

dragonfly likes this.
  3. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Smaller pigs maybe?

dragonfly, VisuTrac and melbo like this.
  4. melbo

Love it. Even the swine are on Austerity measures...

dragonfly likes this.
  5. beast

beast backwoodsman

i keep tellin yas, money is nothing
    the "real" things i.e. food, are being measured the same as gold now......lmao
    before long itll come full swing and youll be buyin gold by the bacon sized slice...:p
    its alrady measured in carrots ( misspelling intended )

dragonfly likes this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

nah, it a 'trick'

packaging is the same size as we have been 'trained' to believe is a pound

the price it so the consumer 'thinks' it's a deal because it's 75 cents less than the national brand

the consumer get a lower quality/quantity product but pays a higher price based on weight.

It's rampant. Look at the bottom of the jars of today. big concave meaning less product inside and jar looks the same. That way the manufacturers can keep the same price point and the consumers don't notice that they are getting less for their money.

looks like it has come to the meat aisle too.

dragonfly and Falcon15 like this.
  7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

That 12oz pound of bacon is running 4$ unless its on sale, needless th say bacon in my home has become a luxury treat and is no longer part of every day life

dragonfly likes this.
  8. melbo

I recall an Andy Rooney rant in this. Can't seem to find it on YouTube from my phone while sipping beers in a pub.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is the same with Canned Meats and Fish.... Did you ever wonder why the OEMs went to Tapered Cans? They hold only 15 oz of product, so they keep the same Price and you get 1 oz less product. It cost them a pile of cash to convert all the canning machinery to run the New Cans, but they paid for the conversion in 2 years and now it is straight Profit. .... YMMV....

10. melbo

We shouldn't be eating packaged meats. Look up sodium nitrate/nitrite and cancer.

Any meat (lunch meat too) that is packed in a clear bubble package is saturated with this preservative. Unfortunately, the preservative does not preserve you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

dragonfly likes this.
  11. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I always look at the price per ounce right next to the price. That is the only way to know how much it is really costing you. I had to imprint this methodology into my wife. She bought name brands when we met now she will only buy generic. Took a few years finally I got tired of arguing with her one day and picked up a block of the non Velveeta block cheese and showed her the nice shiny package in it. To her astonishment it said Velveeta. SO as I stated earlier always always look at the price per ounce....

12. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

This is exactly why I cure and smoke my own lunch meats and bacon WITHOUT curing salts (nitrates and nitrites).

Sapper John and dragonfly like this.
  13. melbo

Processed meat consumption results in 67% increase in pancreatic cancer risk, says new research

dragonfly likes this.
  14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

That's progress, less (healthy)food for more money. More reason for me to keep learning how to preserve foods.

dragonfly likes this.
  15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Well I
    Guess I'm dead, had to be something , funny thing is I love it when they tell me my food is killing me while they tap the ashes off of their smokes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

That reminds me of the time a few years back when a smoker told me I should quit having my microwave popcorn cook long enough to get half burnt because it was carcinogenic.

Sapper John and dragonfly like this.
  17. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Dont yall know nuttin??
    It comes in the 12oz pound becouse its made with lean pork!!
    Matt

VisuTrac and dragonfly like this.
  18. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Soon we will be buying all of our foods in carot weights!
    Now that'll be interesting!
    How many carots to a lb. ....?
    Maybe instead of carots we'll just go to grams, drams, or grains?
    Sheesh!
    I did notice the way that chocolate is soldnow...and I see the cans are not 16 oz, but 15 ounces!
    Nah, "they" wouldn't try to pull one over on us, now whould "they"?
    In a heartbeat of an amazonian hummingbird!

19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I likes me bacon........

But I recently tried a 'bargain' brand - three packages for ten bucks. Seemed a deal.
    But the 'bacon' was gummy and fatty, the slice would stretch 50% by the time I peeled it from the package, so I had to cut it in two in the package! It fried down to nothing. Useless garbage. Made me wish I had a dog to give it to.
    I went back to the name brands. Twice the price, but a much better product.

Coffee burns my grits...... The cans get smaller..... a one pound vacuum-sealed bag is now 11 ounces. The 34.5 oz can became 27.8 oz, and doubled in price!
    If it gets any worse, I'll switch to tea......

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I used to buy coffee in the real metal cans, I gave the coffee away and kept the cans! Today I can't afford the coffee, and it's now in plastic!
    CRUD!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7