Gear Review SIRT Training Pistol - Next Level Training

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by melbo, Jan 18, 2016.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

My @wife got me one of these trainers from NLT for Christmas after @Clyde turned me onto them at Thanksgiving. My model has the 'pro' upgrades (Steel slide and green point of impact laser) and came with a properly weighted mag. It looks and feels exactly like a Glock 17. I plan to add a set of Trijicon HD night sights (orange) so my sight picture is consistent on the trainer and the real thing.
    sirt_1.

The benefit to dry fire training is that you are building muscle tone, memory and control with your hand hold and trigger operation. Training with the SIRT is exactly like dry firing a real Glock but the trigger is 'self resetting' so you don't have to rack the slide each time you pull. It becomes trivial to practice 300 shots an evening targeting anything in the house. I've used post it notes, wall hangings but if you can see it, draw and then shoot it will work.

The SIRT has two lasers: The first laser (red) illuminates when you've taken up the slack in your trigger. It also will show you or your training partner how steady your hold is and if you are moving as you increase trigger pull. I think this has already solved many of my inconsistencies. The second laser (mine is green) illuminate as the trigger breaks so you can 'see' your shot. The red, takeup laser is intended to be turned off after you figure out that you're pulling shots to the left or right.
    sirt_2.
    sirt_3.

The mag has a rubber bottom that was designed so that it didn't bug @wife when you dropped it on the kitchen hard wood practicing mag changes... nice touch.
    [​IMG]

@Clyde had given me a set Dry Fire Training Cards which outline a bunch of scenarios to work through while training. I highly recommend both as a tactical shooting training program that you can do in the comfort of your living room or even at the range. By increasing your trigger time to 2000 rounds a week with some live fire on the weekends, you should be able to shoot like the '1 hole shooters' in 3-6 months.
    [​IMG]

The base SIRT Training pistol starts at $239 while mine was around $437 although there are some coupon codes if applicable to your situation.

CETLEM. Current or honorably retired law enforcement or military personnel: 20% off MSRP
    CET.
    National Rifle Association members: 10% off MSRP
    SIRT Training Pistol
    Safe, effective, and innovative, the Shot Indicating Resetting Trigger (SIRT) Training Pistol was developed by shooters for shooters, to complement, not replace, live fire training. The SIRT Training Pistol brings together a host of patent pending technologies critical to improving shooting accuracy while addressing issues of cost and liability. Train more often, more effectively in a more practical environment, your home. The SIRT Training Pistol is designed for high-volume self-diagnostic training with no set up and safe sustainable training. Make better use of your live fire rounds when you've already got hundreds of reps in your house.​

They also make a trainer for an AR-15 that drops in as a bolt replacement. I don't have one yet but it's on my list. SIRT Performer RG
    [​IMG]

Dry Fire Training Cards 52 Dry Fire Drills On Flashcards (Sorry that this site is so annoyingly laid out... :) ) The cards are legit and only $11 or so.

No affiliation with either of these outfits. Just an instant convert to the training possibilities.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    3M-TA3, phorisc, Mountainman and 5 others like this.
  2. melbo

Great video on hand grip and recoil control.

Clyde and kellory like this.
  3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I have been using the Sirt handgun since mid December. I have not been to the range to "real fire", but have been doing 200-300 trigger pulls every day.

I spent the first 2 weeks working on the trigger pull memory. I focused my energy on the actual squeeze and the laser dot associated with this. Once I had this down I closed my eyes and practiced the reset. Squeeze the trigger and the verified that the pull was correct. I would open after the squeeze and reset to see if I had properly released the trigger . I have confirmed that with each pull and then moved on to aiming.

More to follow.

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Too bad it only comes in Glock.
    The AR/M4 trainer looks good for me though.

5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I have the AR insert in green laser. I have not used as much as the handgun so I am not prepared to comment. Would be great for close quarters training.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. Tully Mars

That is what I'm thinking.
    Low light exercises, change up the furniture a bit, then have the spouse run the "course". Use IPSC targets through out the house, might be a whole new meaning to Date Night.

Mountainman and kellory like this.
  7. melbo

You can train 'force on force' with these provided you create some rules. Namely never mixing fake and real weapons and having some cool off time between switching. Would suck to be drawing the SIRT all night and put a hole in my TV. Or @wife.

I think I hear Costa say 'hot' after he mag changes in the vid above.

As far as only being available in Glock, it seems to be what all of these trainers and many SF guys are using now. There are some holster models (Raven VG2) that only come in G-19.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    kellory and Tully Mars like this.
  8. Tully Mars

Yeah, I know, and rightfully so. I have nothing against the Glock other than it doesn't fit me as well as some other pistols. That's the only reason I no longer own one. In the meantime, I'll wait on theses guys to put out a trainer in a 1911 or a BHP or even a Sig;)

9. phorisc

phorisc Monkey++

awesome. Didn't know they made these.

1. stg58
  2. Motomom34
  3. Matei
  4. Dunerunner
  5. OldDude49
  6. HK_User
  7. AxesAreBetter
  8. HK_User
  9. Lancer