Situational Awareness: Terrorism, Shooters, Arguments and Everyday life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shinzo, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Shinzo

Shinzo Monkey

Hi all,

I came across this post on how important situational awareness is and I have been reminded of how important and crucial lessons like this are in our daily life.
    So many people go around staring at their phones, disengaged from what the world around them is doing that they manage to miss the most important factors.

As a former military member myself, I realise how important situational awareness is, not only in the civilian world but in building an overall picture of what is going on, whether it be in a military setting or emergency services setting.

I am interested to hear if anyone else has interesting stories of how they train, or use their situational awareness skills.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Here at the Monkey, we talk about this issue often... The first thing that comes to my mind is, Situational Awareness is a mindset, and lifestyle, that needs to be second nature, and ingrained into a persons everyday living... Where do you sit in any room? Where do you look while walking? Are you watching your environment, all your waking hours?

Welcome to our Monkey Tree...

Mountainman, Alf60, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I believe civilians should take situational awareness if they want. Many classes are offered, they are costly but if a person has an interest then these classes are available. I have taken some classes and they are very informative. As former military, you could always share what you have learned with those people around you. I take classes and share what I learn with my family.

tacmotusn and Dunerunner like this.
  4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Situational Awareness is just the formalized version of being wary around the waterhole.

But it isn't just for waterholes anymore. The things that will eat you are everywhere.

It ought to be taught to young children, especially.

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome to Survival Monkey.

Many go through life not thinking that there is anything bad out there. They bury themselves in their phone as they casually stroll from the store to their car, not taking into consideration their environment. They are targets, and they are totally unaware of that fact. Parents and Grandparents should teach this skill, and if they don't know themselves, it should at least be discussed in school.

Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I voted no. We already have enough people taking prescriptions for anxiety.
    Plus, they'll all want to sit in the same seat in the restaurant.

Plus, the sheeple buy you time due to confusion and acting as a shield as you extricate yourself from the situation if the odds are not in your favor.

Maybe it's wrong of me to think that way, but darn it, if they don't want to be armed the least they can do is soak up the projectiles / shrapnel / toxic fog.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. Dunerunner

[LMAO][LMAO] Yea...That!!

VisuTrac, Yard Dart and Sgt Nambu like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'm not a Muslim ,
    Chances are, if there are innocents, I will do my best to protect and be their shield their defense, IF, I am in the position and directed to do so. . it's my nature.
    On the other hand , if some one pulls a knife on me, I'm not giving them a chance to run .
    In the woods I don't believe in pepper spray , and aggressive critter does not change his nature just being sprayed .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Some people cannot grasp the whole idea of being aware. They think they are aware, but in reality, don't even know what they are aware of.
    For example, just tonight, about 2100 , my daughter was leaving school, she called me, I knew she was leaving , and I asked her where she was at. She said she was stopping to get gas. I asked her where she was, as soon as she told me, asked her why in the hell is she stopping on that side of town, that time of night, to get gas. Why she didn't fill up before she went to school? As much as I try to teach her awareness , she just does not fully grasp the concept.
    So basically, common sense, ain't so common anymore.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I bury my head deeply into the sand and try not to pay much attention to what's going on around me. Ignorance is blissful. I would rather be sneaked up on and robbed or killed than to have to resort to possible violence or lethal forcs to evade what may just be a minor injury. My home is a gun-free zone, give peace a chance. km bi ya, kum bi ya. A bullet might get there faster than the police but police might bring dough-nuts!

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Situational awareness IMO is a mindset......if you want to be prepared for that armed thug, terrorist or other opportunist, you need to have your head in the game 24-7. If that is to much work for you..... good luck buddy, you might be my shield as I take aimed fire at the opposing force..... or hit the back door, as VT alluded to!! :lol:

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had to kick in a bit of situational awareness this morning in the old Piggly Wiggly parking lot.
    Backed into a parking space since I was going to the bank next to the Pig when I saw a rather grubby looking Hispanic gentleman approaching my truck.
    I un-holstered the Smith 357 and simple waved for him to move along.
    He put his hands up a little and beat shoes heels around the back of the truck, I put the piece away and got out and took care of my banking business, Never did see the cat again..
    That's my second language skills for today!

13. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I spend 5 to 6 hours a day on a motorcycle. My situational awareness keeps me alive on the roads. I like to know what's going on in front, behind and beside me at all times.

14. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Downunder I used to ride. It will make a defensive driver out of you.

ColtCarbine and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Seacowboys

@Downunder riding will do that, especially around here, bad as the other drivers are.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Not being aware of your surroundings on a construction site can lead to your demise. You would not believe how many close calls I've avoided over the years, due to other's disregard of their co- workers safety.

17. duane

duane Monkey+++

I don't really understand situational awareness. At about age 2 we started to make sure that the kids knew stoves were hot, strange dogs may bite, sharp tools cut fingers, loud noises destroy your hearing, all guns are loaded and not toys and are not to be touched, strangers may not have your best interests in mind, etc and as they got older, the lessons expanded and became more detailed. While I don't at present carry, I have weapons in more than one location and could carry in a short time. I don't go into some areas, am wary of strange acting people, dogs, or wild animals, and have my best to make my children and grand children very aware of their situations. If push comes to shove, I don't expect any help from the government, police, most of my neighbors, and some of the family and don't think non violence will do you any good other than making your death quick. Working with tools in construction, cars in your yard with children present, farm machinery, chain saws, brush hogs etc will require that you be aware at all times and you can use any name you wish for the state you must be in. Interacting with others, driving, motor cycles, in your work environment, and the house, around machinery,etc is always a challenge and it seems like the chances that the guards were replaced, fluid levels checked, safety procedures followed are decreasing every year.

Dunerunner, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Seacowboys

Nice to be able to speak in an internationally understood dialect.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  19. Dunerunner

All good points you made about learning, but if you are never taught that those things you cannot see, feel, smell or sense in another way can hurt you, how are you to know? Then, add to that the sheep complex, that being complacency. It has never happened to you, never happened in your community, town or city; so you let down your guard. Nothing happens and you disregard all the warning signs as paranoia, which is what all your sheeple friends have been telling you for years.

The key is to expect the unexpected, just like you are in a fist fight. Anticipate what could occur, what might be around the corner or hiding between parked cars just waiting for an unsuspecting victim to stroll by absorbed in the pleasant evening, their text conversation, their music, or any other distraction our modern life affords us.

People have forgotten or never have known what is was like to grow your own food, fetch water to the house, empty the honey buckets, care for the livestock, work the fields, gather and process firewood, or any number of other tasks that people used to do for themselves, so why would protecting themselves from danger be any different?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think most people in the city are so much in a hurry, that they do not think to take time to be aware of what's around them.
    We have people running through the woods just for another place to run not because they enjoy the woods .
    Their only concern is the time it takes to get from point A to point B .
    Even when I was working for a living , my week ends in the woods with my family included books on animals and insects and many other things both for my self and the kids . Also living in an area frequented by rattlers, made every one pay much more attention to what they were doing .
    Problem with kids though they tend to be more in tune with what their friends say and do , and though you warn them of the 2 legged rattlers they don't take it seriously enough.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Motomom34
  5. BTPost
  6. magnus
  7. kckndrgn
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7