Skilled Trades- 4 Myths

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Nov 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

The local tech school closed down a few years ago due to lack of students... The local college is getting ready to add a program though.. I've been asked to teach. But, if I was good at teaching, I'd have been a teacher. I am not... This has been proven :)

Just another sign of the times.. Not enough people that actually want to work.. Why be on the paying side of the system when you can be on the receiving..

2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

interesting cause in the machine shops we use they are paying 40+ $ and hour for guys who can run a lathe or milling machine .. they say all the new guys want to run the cnc machine and the computer stuff.... and all the older style macine shops all have help wanted singes on the door..

sad to say but true!!!
    I realized wen i had a contractor at my house the other day the only thing you have to do to be a good hand is show up.... thats 90% of the battle for the employers .
    now if they are drug free and have a license and as vehicle u have a real goodone .... and god forbid he has a willingness to learn!!!

This not exactly a true statement
    if you are good at what you do most companies will keep you around as long as they can when things are slow !
    If you always get sent home you have a problem

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

A good thing to look into is recent vets. You can find some people who are machinists and welders in the military that are just getting into civilian life. Generally they know how to be respectful and show up at work on time.

Elessar, HK_User, chelloveck and 6 others like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There are a wide range of occupations for which a degree with a women's studies major would be a useful qualification....Women's Studies Major | Guide to Women's Studies Degrees & Jobs
    the down side is that you may have to undergo gender reassignment to have much of a prospect of success. :oops:

KAS likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm going with the "Lesbian trapped in a man's body" approach...

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

I really liked that article and will be passing it on. Knowing college wasn't for me, I did a pipe fitting appenticeship and got into commercial heating and air. That spun into a much more technical field that requires extensive electrical troubleshooting everything up to medium voltage distribution gear. No college (navy and my apprenticeship), no college debt, and a pretty nice income. Whenever this comes up in conversation and someone younger asks about my job, it's amazing how often I see the eyes either glaze over or roll when I mention physical labor.

Georgia_Boy, Ganado, HK_User and 10 others like this.
  7. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

I worked as a Boilermaker for almost 30 years. I also taught in our Apprenticeship School. Over the years, quite a few with degrees (one I remember, Ancient Celtic Languages) went through our program.

I personally think there is an artificial importance placed on degrees. Heck, now you can get them off of the Internet!

Ganado, Harbin, Sapper John and 4 others like this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Did all the above, had a job and a new career before I even left TI and 6 months of special training. Did that for a while,went back to my MOS and also started a couple of new careers. Never been out of work a day in my life.

Never give up and always be willing to pack your tools or bags.

Along the way I took advantage of my earned benefits in the Mil and finished with a degree in my field. Sure it took ten years and raised a family along the way but retirement is sure nice.

Y'all take care and wear what ever uniform you need, for even a 3 piece suit is a type of uniform as is a set of work blues.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  9. HK_User

I hear what you said, then again the first time that was tried with me they found my beeper was turned off!

Next day "we" had an understanding. All calls were on the clock and all call ins were OT.

Stayed there 17 years and left when I wanted out of the metro area. I made that job mine and demanded the respect my skills deserved.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Willing to work out of town? Or possibly relocate? Two Words:

North Dakota.

Or as a lot of us have come to say, North Friggin Dahhkootah.
    It's no secret that the boom is on up there and has been for 5 yrs or so. I've worked up there for 5 yrs and started when the Bakken Basin kicked off. During that time I have seen it EXPLODE. Last I checked, ND has something like 2% unemployment. The saying up there is "If you don't have a job here, its because you don't want one. And I mean ANY kind of job. The Wal Mart in Williston looks like its going out of business.Pallets of stuff in the isles, shelves empty half the time.Why? They can't get the product on the shelves fast enough because they are 100-150 employees short!! Sparkys are in HUGE demand, as are carpenters,roofers,truck drivers,plumbers,ect and we're not even talking about the oil field related jobs yet. I have honestly forgot how many guys I've hooked up with work in all different fields. The average truck driver hauling gravel is making 30-40.00 an hour for driving someone else's truck. More if you have yer hazmat ticket. No nothin 18 yr old kids are making 18-20.00 per hour delivering pizzas..
    The down side is the weather. It's windy year round, and the winters can be brutal. Some years there is alot of snow, sometimes not. But its ALWAYS cold. 30-40's is like short sleeve weather after awhile.. Not kidding. Coldest I've personally experienced was -53 not including the wind chill. That was the actual temp. Now that was extreme, but figure -20 to -40 not uncommon. Not all winter, but it does happen.There is a state law requiring a motorist to stop and check on vehicles that appear to be stranded during the winter months because people can and do die during blizzards. A lot of the southerners bail when it starts getting cold and then return in the spring. Now that all sounds pretty bad, but if you are willing to prepare properly its not that bad, and there is A LOT of money to be made there.Trick is to send it home and not waste it there...

If anyone wants further info about the types of work, or just general info, just ask me. There is also a website, bakkenjobs.com I think it is and is supposed to be helpful.

Ganado, 3cyl and KAS like this.
  11. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Love this article. Can't figure out what SoN is but my son has started this conversation with me about trades. I love it and look forward to a career change when I retire.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Glad you liked it @Elessar .... it definitely made sense to share it here. :)

Ganado likes this.
  13. HK_User

Tully, how about an update on NFD work?

I see a decline and understand a number of rigs have been shut down or moved to other parts of the county.

Thanks

1. Qwertyportne
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. AxesAreBetter
  4. DKR
  5. Motomom34
  6. wideym
  7. OldDude49
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Motomom34
  10. The_Prepared
  11. DKR