Skin care, sunscreen, insect repellent (stores / no stores)

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Alanaana, May 3, 2023.

1. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha,
    I haven't spent much time researching this topic yet, but I hope that some of you can point me in a direction.

I've been reading about the processed food industry and it makes me feel thankful that I'm cleaning up my nutrition and eating more whole foods.

I have a feeling that the products we buy for skincare, sunscreen, and insect repellent may be equally chemical ridden and awful for us.

Do you have any go-to products or recipes for?

• Cleanser
    • Moisturizer
    • Sunscreen for face and body
    • Insect repellent
    I am definitely open to making my own products. For the sunscreen and insect repellent I was thinking that it might be useful to have some kind of clay like kaolin and also zinc. I also know that essential oils are very useful.

Thank you for your suggestions!

<3 Alana

Bandit99, Meat, duane and 1 other person like this.
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Can't help on the product side, but I will say this. Since starting with a more "proper human diet" last year I found that I do not sun burn as easily as I used to, and when I do get a light sun burn, it heals within a day or two and my skin doesn't peal.

Also, I have a common skin condition called Keratosis pilaris (commonly called chicken skin) which dramatically improved with my change in diet. I now use AmLactin moisturizer and the condition is pretty much gone. I had been told my multiple Dr's. growing up to just "deal with it, it's nothing and not curable". My arms were so bad that in HS shop class a classmate rubbed 180 grit sandpaper on my arms "to smooth them out".

I am still consistently amazed at what 'ailment' has been treated/cured/reduced by changing my diet and flabbergasted by how much Dr's don't first try diet changes vs just giving another pill.

3. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Today's Doctors don't make money by suggesting changes outside their specialty. Anymore, they're almost always pushing patients towards surgery (if they're a surgeon) or pills to "manage" a condition. They aren't interesting in curing the patient, as then the patient won't keep coming back for that complaint, i.e. - paying them.

Cruisin Sloth, kckndrgn and Alanaana like this.
  4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@kckndrgn This is very good news and it is incredible that you're able to heal from the sun more quickly. I think that it's very good evidence that eating healthy food boosts our immune systems in so many ways. It's encouraging for me because I live in a Very sunny place and I worry that if a SHTF scenario happened that it may be challenging to have sun protection.

I think that I have also had the chicken skin off and on on my arms before. I am going to look up AmLactin. Thank you so much for sharing!

5. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@cpaspr Yes, it's very sad that modern medicine perpetuates unhealthy cycles like that.

6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

With the number of things I've been exposed to, over the past 40+ years since joining the Navy out of high school, I tend to just use the commercial stuff, and not worry about it. Heck, if sunscreen kills me, that would ironic as hell! ;)
    That being said, the "BullFrog" brand, that has insect repellent & 30 SPF sun protection, is pretty darn good. (y)

DKR and Alanaana like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

We have a plant called Broom weed that will keep ticks, ants, chiggers, and other creepy crawlers from crawlers going up your legs.

Just crush it up and beat it around the cuffs of your jeans. It has a creosote component. You might be able to create something from that hint.

Alanaana likes this.
  8. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@natshare Thanks again for your service. The Navy is such a hardcore branch. Thank you for reminding me of Bull Frog. I used to use it when I was a swimmer, but had forgotten about it.

natshare likes this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Zimmy This is very helpful and the kind of advice I was hoping to get. I'm not familiar with broom weed, but I'm going to look it up. I constantly get gobbled by creepy crawlers even when I use bug spray so it would be so nice to find a more natural remedy. Thank you!

10. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There is a plant(s) in every region that can be used to keep insects at bay. As a prepper, I have insect repellents in my stores, but they have to be replaced regularly, and the same goes for sunscreen. I'm sure that you can make sunscreen using clay or zinc oxide as a base, and both would have a long shelf life. Another option to sunscreen is to cover up when working in the sun...before y'all say anything l live in ALABAMA, where it is hot and humid! I'm also a Civil War reenactor and wear a gray wool uniform...in the summer! So, it can be done!

Alanaana likes this.
  11. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Wildbilly Thank you for your response! I planted lemon grass, peppermint, and citronella plants and that seems to help around the yard along with making sure there are no puddles and pools of water (that can be tricky in a tropical rainforest though.)

I had a feeling that it's not worth-it to stock a lot of cans of insect repellent and sunscreen due to a limited shelf life. During normal times, I can't even keep it stocked because I run through the products so quickly. I think that I will experiment with making a clay / zinc oxide goo and see how that works.
    I also cover up as much as possible when I work outside. I wear a sun hat and clothing that claims that it has sun protection, but I'm not sure how much I trust the mass producers so I still smother myself with sunscreen.

It's so cool that you're a Civil War reenactor! That takes dedication to go out in the super hot sun in full costume! You give me hope!

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The wool uniforms are not as hot in the summer as you might thing, nor are they all that warm in the winter. Although, I can only vouch for Confederate gray, as I have NEVER worn Yankee blue! Once you get buttoned up and start sweating the wool fibers wick the sweat away from your skin and evaporation keeps you relatively cool, but it takes about an hour, and you have to keep hydrated. Over the course of an hour or two I will drink a gallon of water...and sweat every bit of it out! At almost every event someone will go down, but it is almost always due to their health problems/conditioning and/or lack of water! Many times, after battles I have spoken to spectators that are suffering more from the sun and heat than I am, and they are wearing t-shirt and shorts. There is one other factor that keeps me in the field despite sun, heat, cold, rain and mud, and that is SOUTHERN PRIDE!

Alanaana likes this.
  13. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Wildbilly this sounds intense and like you are very well conditioned and show up prepared for performances ready to stay hydrated! I used to play in the pit orchestra for musicals amd have always admired people who perform. I'm glad that the wool costumes breathe and stay fairly cool in the summer. How do you stay warm in the winter?

The older I get the more I appreciate natural fiber materials versus synthetic. I have always loved my wool socks. When I was in outdoor school I wore almost solely synthetic wear for the sweat wicking properties, but still kept the wool socks, but now I don't think they are very breathable.

I think that my skin has become more sensitive to synthetic materials too. I still wear them for workouts, but in every day life I'm starting to gravitate more towards natural cotton and wool.

I'm spoiled right now since I've been in the tropics for 4 years, but if I travel to cooler locations I will have to acquire layers again.im glad that I'm figuring these things out. I think that practical clothing (I don't think my ghillie suit is going to protect me from insects so I'll need a good base layer or something) and skin protection will be very important if we ever reach TEOTWAWKI. I have to throw in some pepper terms for good measure sometimes. Lol.

I think your SOUTHERN PRIDE is admirable and it keeps the culture and community strong.

14. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

I m never likes to use any sunscreen products for my skin, because already my skin is well and good. I never travel in the hot sunlight.

Alanaana likes this.
  15. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Wool socks are great! Yes, they are hot and sweaty, but you will NEVER get a blister while wearing wool socks...even when your leather brogans are soaking wet. Cotton just gets wet and stays wet, and is very uncomfortable in hot and humid conditions!

Alanaana likes this.
  16. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

There is an insect repellent that I have added to my preps, and that is Permethrin. You don't spray it on your skin, instead you apply it to your clothing. It's supposed to last for 6 weeks, so spray it on a hat or long sleeve work shirt, and enjoy the out of doors again.

Alanaana likes this.
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I was on a river trip when the motor failed. We had to paddle a jonboat while drifting the Trinity for 30 miles. August in Texas weather.

One of the guys was fair skinned and used river mud for a sunscreen. He let it dry and it looked smart. The next day he washed it off and had the most gawdawful looking burns and pustules I've ever seen. Zombie movie bad. He took weeks to heal.

Keep that in mind if you try it. Maybe it should have stayed wet? Maybe rinsing and freshening was required? I don't know.

Alanaana likes this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Wildbilly thank you for suggesting Permethrin. I'm going to add it to my preps. I have used it to treat my quails and chicken flocks. The tractor supply stores on the island actually sold out of it a few months ago so I'll have to acquire some. I didn't even think of it as an option, but it makes a lot of sense!

19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Zimmy oh man! Poor guy. Sometimes we try to be clever and come out looking like... zombies. That was always part of my plan. If I had nothing else, I would cover my skin with mud, but I was worried that it could get iffy so I better start learning creative alternatives. That way the mud will be a back up for the back ups.

20. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Today I was getting ready to work in the yard and the second I went outside a mosquito bit me on my face right around my eyebrows. It's still puffy hours later. I have been adding garlic to my meals, but apparently my blood is still sought after. I'm glad I'm planning ahead for this. Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming!

1. Brokor
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. VHestin
  5. Ganado
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. skyking
  9. dragonfly
  10. Gator 45/70
  11. kckndrgn
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary