SKS or mini14???(xmas presents)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Windfall:
    Through sheer providence my daughter 's (my) little car was parked across town, a sweet little old lady checking her mail backed into it squashing the left rear quarter panel flat. I'm never one to advocate lawsuits or milking the insurance industry , but the state farm (old lady's) insurance adjuster is outside right now writing up the damage. We will be recieving compensation. the car is driveable if not just alittle more ugly. Bottom line I may be able to talk the wife into springing for a semi auto carbine for xmas..What's the general opinion on a carbine for around $500 or less??
    SKS, mini-14?? could use a S&W 6" 686 too (instead)...

Find an ak? AR's are around $900 +at Gander mtn. There is a a 700 police special .308 with scope in the gander moutain "used" rack for $750.(but you know I just can't see myself forking over that kinda cash on merely a gun unless it was a hot deal on a steyr.308 SSG magic "green gun"). and I know of 1 cetme.308 for $600or so. Won't know what the check will be, for for awhile yet(but pretty sure it'll be bewteen $500 and and $1000 . Currently I've "only" got an 870,.30-30., 4".38 aircrew, .22 bolt gun , so there's plenty of room for a more "social" weapon( oxymoron!)....[flag]Which way would you guys go? Wooot!!! Armchair money spendin....[touchdown][touchdown]

[soap]I know pay off all yer bills( credit cards are clean only 2.5years on mortgage remains)!!! Bastids...[LMAO]

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

The Beretta Storm or dirt cheap Hi Point 9mm carbines offer a lot of fun for the money..... but

The Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_aom110.html

is WAY cooler!

I love WW2 guns anyway, I love shooting history. 30 carbine rounds are pretty cheap and they are powerful enough to bust through kevlar if needed. Makes a decent home defense weapon. They handle GREAT, almost no recoil at all, and they point so naturally, you can almost "will" the bullets to the target :) If I sound like a fan, it's cause I am!

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

BOOOIIINNGGG!!
    Agreed and I wanted an m1 since I was about 10 years old watching all those`wwII movies. The lucky kid down the street had that crosman m1 style BB gun....Gun writers are generally really unimpressed with the .30 carbine round (I know it was designed to replace a hand gun for rear eschelon "support" troops). Thanks Not a bad idea Mr.Blackjack!!

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Oh yeah: ck this out blackjack:

28May06 30M1 Carbine At an Urban Rifle Course in PA this weekend, we again shot ballistic gelatin through the standard, four layers of denim. This time, I wanted to compare 223 DPX (53gr Barnes bullet) with the new 30M1 Carbine DPX round (100 gr Barnes bullet). Mike Shovel from Cor-Bon was on hand with a supply of both. The 30M1 Carbine round is now available from Cor-Bon, and I, for one, made sure I have an adequate supply! Interestingly, the 30 M1 Carbine bullet penetrated nineteen inches, while the 223 penetrated fifteen! Both bullets expanded in the classic Barnes way. Four layers of denim doesn't retard Barnes bullet expansion at all, in any caliber. Who have and use an M1 Carbine will benefit immensely from this round, the first new round in this caliber in a long time, and the most effective one of all available, by far. Recommended! /John
    http://www.defense-training.com/quips/28May06.html

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Now that (penetration) kinda surprises me. I wonder how much better the 223 would have done with 62 grain fmj.

Anyway, I do think the 30 carbine has gotten kind of a bad rap

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I have 2 yugo SKS rifles im going to be selling soon, and would make you a great deal on them.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

8. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

My AR is DPMS Panther Arms. I must say I'm very happy with it. I think the M1 carbine is cooler and more fun, but I have to have my AR since it's what I used in the army.

9. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

For $500 you could get a nice SKS and a couple thousand rounds of ammo. That is what I would do.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

been watching a couple of hours of alex jones. If I want to fight the "Power" I' should get a broadcast quality video camera and access cable airtime instead of trading rounds with black fatigued troopers..

11. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Maybe so, but trading rounds with the Jackboots would give more sense of accomplishment wouln't it? ;)

12. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"Watching "CSI" with the wife last night, they were tasked with hunting a cia mole in a cia unit...but the nerdy computer chick couldn't get into the cia ops center because " she was on a list..."So the cia homepage pops up on her system in her csi office. She looks at her friend and says (slyly) "Now we can findout what really happened with princess dianna's death..." her friend retorts" reemberthat list? That's what got you on that list.."

How many of us are on a list??? Meet ya by the north guard tower after morning exercise period...the latest pot of raisin jack is ready...

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Boy was I misguided..of course the little pos is "totalled".Take our check or take a walk....if we take their (high bluebook offer) we still gotta completely surrender and replace the vehicle..don't know what
    I was thinking...
    Not too many beaters for sale around here in winter...
    and we need this car...[smsh]

14. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Ask them how much the buy back would be. I just went through this with my daughter, and the insurance company sold it back to me for $20. I bought the parts, had to retitle it as a rebuild, but she is still driving it today.

15. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well looks like it may be a moot point unless you can do something like the buy back option, but heres my 2 cents if you have $500-600 to spend and want a battle riffle. I would go with a SKS since you should be able to pick it up for under $200 then be able to get about 2k rounds of ammo so you have something to feed it along with 50-100 striper clips. Its a super solid and reliable rifle in a fairly hard hitting calibur. I like the AK better but a decent AK would eat all the funds and then you dont have the ammo to feed it or spare mags so it kind of comes up short on that budget. Just my thoughts on it.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks thats the kind of advice I was lookin fer, ailways liked the mini-14though,

17. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

True enough, the AK is cheaper and an all around better battle rifle than the M1 carbine, but if you already have something to fill the battle rifle niche, then the historic and "cool" factor of the M1 carbine wins IMO.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7