SKS Stock

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by JHH, Nov 22, 2007.

1. JHH

JHH Monkey+++

Has any one switched to the synthetic stock for their sks? Does it reduce the weight a lot and do the bottom fed clips work good? It is such a cheap and efficent rifle added $100 or so to it is still a good deal.

2. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Eh, keep it stock. Many people that switch things esp magazine bottom feed have reliability issues. Besides if you change anything the sks will loose it's curio and relic status. Like mine, if I change the stock I'll have to take the bayonet off to be legal. Regular stock (that works great) and I get to keep the pig sticker. Just a suggestion.

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ive considered getting the folding stock to have as an option since it would make it easier to carry with a low profile but other than that I will keep the original stock on mine, especialy since I happened to get one (by accident) that is ALL matching numbers includeing even the stock has the serial number stamped into it that matches the mag, bolt, reciever, bolt cover, and IIRC its like 3 other places on it and all matches.

4. MOS19K

MOS19K Monkey+++

I'm a purist when it comes to my C&R guns but it is your weapon you must do what is right for your situation. If this is going to be your SHTF rifle then a synthetic stock might be the way to go. Don't change the magazine system, with a little practice you'll be able to load with the stripper clips as fast or faster than changing the mags.

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I had one with the folding stock and loved it. I would recommend the detachable mags. It takes a little practice but soon becomes second nature. The strippers are fast but you only have 10 rounds. With a mag you get 30.
    Do you plan on selling it? If not then why worry about the C&R?

I modernized my Mosin Nagant also. Shorter barrel, composite stock, scope mount. Nice, cheap rifle.

6. JHH

JHH Monkey+++

Thanks for the advice. I don'tplan on selling it, I just didn't want to do something that would take the reliability away. It is also heavy and because I am tall with long arms it just doesn't feel as comfortable as I would like.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Be careful of which synthetic stock you get. Try to see it in person before buying one.
    I have the ATI "Ultra-light Folder", and had it on a Norinco SKS I once owned. I found that this stock lacks a steel recoil lug, and after awhile the action will 'wallow' in the inletting. The folding mechanism also is chintzy - it 'flops' around, not secure.
    All of which means - poor accuracy.

I also have the steel 30-round "USA Magazines" mags, and three of the 30-round Zytel magazines from Cobray. The steel mags are okay - sometimes these need tweaking. The plastic Cobrays were JUNK. I spent a lot of time literally rebuilding them - reshaped feedlips, built-up and reangled followers and smoothed insides in the boxes. Which brough them from Zero Percent Reliability to maybe 80 %. Not enough to bet my life on. The duckbills make carrying them cumbersome too. Took me awhile to find a shoulder pouch that fit them.

Upshot is, both my SKS rifles are now in 'as-issued' condition. The SKS is happiest that way.

8. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

One day you will come across a cop, parkranger, border agent,fbi,atf or any other acromonized agent that is looking for an excuse to crawl up your bowels and pick your teeth clean from the wrong side. All it takes is for one of them to have a bad doughnut/day to want to make life hell for the next breathing human they see.

9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Agreed,but as of now it isn't against the law to modernise a C&R weapon. If I am correct it only causes it to lose it's C&R status and therefor must be transfered by an FFL. So if you aren't planning to sell it then that shouldn't be an issue. Besides, a composite stock, aftermarket mags etc. can all be removed and the weapon restored to it's original condition.

10. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Oh no.... if it looses its c&r status then it must meet the exact criteria of legality. It cannot have the features that define it as an assault rifle. I believe cannot have 3 things total only two. Center fire rifle is counted as one, detachable magazine counts as one, folding/adjustable stock is one. Barrel shroud is one, bayonet mount is one, pistol grip is one, etc etc etc. Or it is an assault rifle. (banned in california) The sks already has 3 things. 1 centerfire 2 what counts as a barrel shroud 3 bayonet. You can only have two UNLESS you have c&r status. Then you can have 3 things. The second ANY fundemental modifications happen to the sks (stock change) it looses c&r and becomes an assault rifle. At that point you have to take the bayonet mount off since you can't modify centerfire or gas tube to be under 3 things.

Out here its not just a transfer issue. If you have what is legaly an assault rifle and your not grandfathered in it's jail time. Yes, it's Kalifornia for you we have the strictest gun laws in the US. (pretty sure)

11. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Thats one of the many reasons why I would not live out there!!!!!!

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7