Slip and Fall Prevention

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Motomom34, Sep 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

True. After about a year or so, I still haven't really adjusted to mine.

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If you or your loved ones are old enough that slip prevention is an issue due to age also consider a few things to make life easier like the Big Switch for lamps:
    upload_2017-11-11_12-27-3.

Also check out their lighting adding where needed and daylight instead of soft white bulbs for better clarity. Stairs especially need light and particularly so they can see the stair edges. Concrete stairs can have the edges painted for higher visibility without creating a trip hazard. Test all stair rails to make sure they are solid and easy for them to grip. If not fix or replace.

Grabbers also can help prevent falls especially when they start to climb a step ladder or like I caught my then 90 year old Dad (RIP) one day trying to stand on a dining room chair to get some things on the top shelf of a cupboard :eek:. We moved the most used things as well as first aid to the lower shelves he could easily reach after that.
    upload_2017-11-11_12-31-30.
    Little things like this can make life easier as well as safer, and best of all helps to retain dignity since it makes it possible to keep doing things on their own.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't discount lever type door handles. Even the young that insist on carrying groceries in both arms will appreciate those.

john316 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Learning how to fall is something we should learn as children, and practiced throughout ones lifetime.
    I remember doing tumbling in grammar school and practicing it from time to time .
    I had learned to tuck and roll any time I could not recover from a fall ,and I had some doozies .
    The more proficient you become at instant response the smother the roll and no injuries , or at least significantly less injury than otherwise .
    Working alone on many of my jobs it was imperative to think safety ,more important then speed . a little extra rigging and keeping debris picked up and policing the area .
    Working on submerged equipment you really do have to keep your ducks in a row and keep every one informed as to the next move .
    Now that I'm retired and work alone in the shop I really take my time ,and I use my lifting equipment and in the process of building more.
    Before I had the money to build my own lift equipment ,I lifted a lot of stuff I shouldn't have by hand and injured my back when I was young, so now I'm paying for it .
    You may grow old too and should think about the future and lifting stuff .Waiting till the last second isn't the time to get started .

john316 likes this.
  5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Fall off the horse, fall down the stairs, fall in the mud, fall off the barn roof, fall outta the tree, fall over the dog, fall on the ice, etc etc... yeah, I think ive got that down .....

john316, oldawg and Ganado like this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Works good to keep your weapon from slipping as well only we used skateboard tape....

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Those products are OK for some situations but on ice formed over them it doesn't matter .
    Learning and practicing walking on slippery surfaces should be practiced anticipated and respected .
    After living in snow country working on boats for years in all conditions to learn to walk thoughtfully .
    Once , in a hurry, I stepped off an icy boat deck onto an icy dock and ended up in the soup , because I had trained my self to act in the event of a fall I went in feet first ,my head never got wet.
    After that you learn NOT to get in a hurry especially in those conditions.
    Now there are some conditions special devices can be beneficial , for instance crampons and snow shoes in the field are particularly valuable in snow country , I don't think I would voluntarily go without them .
    Once I had sunk into snow that was easily 3' over my head and would not have easily gotten out except for the snow mobile above me ,

8. john316

john316 Monkey+++

i do not use grab bars much.....they are mostly in the wrong place........what i use and like is a grab ROPE
    a 3/4 in rope with an overhand knot every foot hanging from the ceiling or high on the wall
    anyplace that you need control in getting up OR getting down at a safe rate
    i do really like round handrails on stairs 2x4's are not as good

the best grabber i have found is the one at home depot.with it you can pick up a coin.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Due to my bed being 3.5 feet off the floor I have a rope over head for getting up and down . it's handy .
    I have hand rails and ramp and bars mounted around the house for an elderly person living with me and a trapeze bar over their bed as well. it's a regular jungle gym .

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Ariasmith
  5. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Thankful

I feel so thankful for my life and each new day.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. jefferson
  13. Alanaana
  14. jefferson
  15. fl4848
  16. HK_User
  17. Ganado
  18. Ganado
  19. hot diggity
  20. Ganado