Recipe Slow Cooked Roast

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Tully Mars, Dec 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

1 Roast frozen,but rinsed with water-I use around a 4 lb chuck roast
    1 Envelope of ranch dressing mix
    1 Envelope of au jus mix
    1 Stick of butter-I use salted, but either is fine
    4-6 Pepperoncini peppers- A mix of pepperoncini and jalapeno will add a bit of of extra flavor/heat
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Place the roast into the crock pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper(I season both sides)
    Sprinkle with the ranch dressing and the au jus packets.
    Place the stick of butter roughly in the center of roast and add the peppers around it
    Set your slow cooker to low for 8 hrs and let it cook. (I have done this on high for 4 hrs and it was fine)
    Do NOT add water. The roast along with everything
    makes its own gravy.
    Serve with mashed taters,egg noodles or rice.

Now, the above is the recipe is fine, and is what was originally passed on to me. However, I sprinkle the roast with garlic power when I'm using the salt and pepper. Also, I often add diced potatoes, sliced onions and a bit of carrots about 90 minutes before we eat. This roast is EXCELLENT, and has become our Sunday supper at least twice a month. It's also great during the week as a "start it before you head out to work and supper is done when you walk in the door" kinda thing.

Hope you enjoy it!

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

For me, it is thaw, season with salt, pepper and garlic salt, brown on all sides, then crock for 8 hrs. on low with cut carrot, quartered onion, and wedged potatoes. I add an amount of water or broth just to the height of the roast.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Unless it was a "last day" buy at the store I always bring my roasts to room temp before cooking it...
    Sear it on high in cast iron or on the bbq until its light brown on all sides as best you can....
    If i'm trying for ultimate cheap slow cooker beef roast - take the first 2 layers off a white onion but leave it whole or 1/2d to mount the roast on at the bottom of the slow cooker - add water/beer and peeled but not shredded garlic.
    Cook until it's done to your tastes...mix cold water with Swiss Chalet gravy and add to the juices after you remove the meat from the slow cooker.

Swiss Chalet Homestyle Gravy Mix | Walmart.ca

Use a steamer seperate to set up carrots, rice, broccoli - whatever aboot 20-40 minutes before the roast is ready.
    You could set this up in the mornin' in your steamer and turn it on when you get home - sep the meat and start the gravy on low at the same time....would work our perfect.

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi